Overlapping chunk in song window - pick-up notes

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mgraham
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Overlapping chunk in song window - pick-up notes

Post by mgraham »

Hello all - I am new to Digital Performer - going through the 30 day trial to see if I can make it work for me.

I was attracted to DP's modular approach with Chunks, V-Racks and Songs.

What I'd really like to do is modular composition: creating short musical fragments and then assembling the fragments together into longer pieces.

I've started with two chunks:
  • Verse (16 bars, 4/4 120 BPM)
  • Chorus (8 bars 4/4 120 BPM)
I've got a song where I've assembled the chunks one after the other:

VerseChorus

Here's my problem. The Chorus has a few pickup notes before the downbeat. In the finished song, I'd like the downbeat notes to overlap the last bar of the preceding Verse chunk.

When I put the chunks end to end in the song window, I can't get them to overlap properly so that the Chorus overlaps the Verse by one bar.

What's the best way of doing this?
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Overlapping chunk in song window - pick-up notes

Post by James Steele »

Well, in essence your Chorus chunk should then be 9 bars, because the first bar will contain the pickup notes. I'm not in front of DP right now, but I recall there's a way to designate the starting location of a chunk so that it overlaps. I'm just way too tired and have to be up too early to go into the studio and fire everything up to find out how. Check the User Guide section on the Song Window.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mgraham

Post by mgraham »

James Steele wrote:Well, in essence your Chorus chunk should then be 9 bars, because the first bar will contain the pickup notes. I'm not in front of DP right now, but I recall there's a way to designate the starting location of a chunk so that it overlaps. I'm just way too tired and have to be up too early to go into the studio and fire everything up to find out how. Check the User Guide section on the Song Window.
Thanks James!

My chorus chunk is in actual fact 9 bars long including the downbeat.

I've re-read the User Guide's Song Window section and I've figured out two ways of doing it:
  1. Set the Verse chunk to Manual End Time. Set the end time to 16/1/000 (one bar before actual end of the chunk). Then, the column at the end of the Verse will be one bar early, and when the Chorus is dragged to the end time of the Verse, it ends up overlapping the Verse
  2. In the Verse chunk, put a marker on 16/1/000 (one bar before the end of the chunk). In the song window select Verse and choose Merge Markers. This creates a new column at that measure, and the Chorus chunk can be dragged to that column.
So both of these methods do work, but they both involve editing the Verse chunk, not the Chorus chunk, which seems a bit backwards. I was hoping there was a way of doing it that involves editing the Chorus chunk.

The reason for this is that the Verse could have many different chunks following it, each with different pick-ups.

For instance, if I later decide to drag a pre-chorus chunk between the Verse chunk and the Chorus chunk, and the pre-chorus doesn't have any pick-up notes, I will have to go back into the Verse and change the end-time back to the actual end of the chunk. It seems like there should be some way of editing the chunk that actually has the pick-up notes.

I was hoping it could be done by changing the start time of the Chorus chunk, but it does not seem to have any effect on the chunk's placement in the song window.
richhickey

Post by richhickey »

mgraham wrote:
[*]In the Verse chunk, put a marker on 16/1/000 (one bar before the end of the chunk). In the song window select Verse and choose Merge Markers. This creates a new column at that measure, and the Chorus chunk can be dragged to that column.[/list]
You can just put that marker in the song directly.
mgraham

Post by mgraham »

richhickey wrote:
mgraham wrote: You can just put that marker in the song directly.
Oh wow! That's so simple! Thank you!

Michael
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mgraham wrote:
richhickey wrote:
mgraham wrote: You can just put that marker in the song directly.
Oh wow! That's so simple! Thank you!

Michael
Thanks, Rich, for the assist. I couldn't remember offhand how it was done. I haven't used the Song Window in quite some time.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
funkyfreddy

Post by funkyfreddy »

Have any of you used the song window to assemble a CD?
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 16 GB RAM OSX 11.2 Big Sur
UAD Apollo Quad DP11.22 some Waves, Soundtoys, Digital Performer 11.2, Reason 12, iZotope 11, and lots of real instruments to play :)
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

richhickey wrote:
mgraham wrote:
[*]In the Verse chunk, put a marker on 16/1/000 (one bar before the end of the chunk). In the song window select Verse and choose Merge Markers. This creates a new column at that measure, and the Chorus chunk can be dragged to that column.[/list]
You can just put that marker in the song directly.

I was aligning chunks in the song window for the first time recently, and couldn't find a way to define a new column without typing location into a window. Is there a way to drop a marker in a song that I'm missing? I poked around at that awhile, and found nothing.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
mgraham

Post by mgraham »

I've played with the Song window for a couple of projects now, and I find that the most reliable way of positioning chunks is to use the "Insert Column..." menu action (which involves typing a measure number into a window).

But if you do so, you never have to worry about Chunk Start Times, Chunk End Times, or Merge Markers.

Here's my workflow:
  1. activate the Song (play icon in chunks window)
  2. place the first sequence chunk in the song window
  3. click on the chunk to select it
  4. choose "Copy conductor tracks" from the Song Window mini menu
  5. play the song until the next chunk should be inserted. Make a note of the measure number
  6. choose "Insert Column..." from the Song Window mini menu. Type in the measure number to create a new column in the Song Window at that measure.
  7. drag the next chunk to the new column
  8. click on the chunk to select it
  9. choose "Copy conductor tracks" from the Song Window mini menu
  10. repeat steps 5-9 for the next chunk
It takes me about 20 minutes to do this for a 4 minute song, and there are no keyboard shortcuts for any of these. So it's definitely not as streamlined as it could be.

There are a lot of bugs in the Song Window, but my workflow avoids most of them. In particular, I have learned:
  • Copying conductor tracks only works reliably if you do it one chunk at a time
  • Using Undo in the Song Window often crashes DP
  • Selecting multiple chunks sometimes removes Song Window columns and moves chunks around. Hitting Undo after DP moves your chunks around will probably crash DP
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

funkyfreddy wrote:Have any of you used the song window to assemble a CD?
Unless it has been addressed, DP has long been terrible at burning CDs. :smash: :banghead:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS