Is anyone using a 2560x1080 21:9 Ultrawde monitor with Mac?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Is anyone using a 2560x1080 21:9 Ultrawde monitor with M

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:GT120 Maximum Digital Resolution. 2560x1600. Maximum VGA Resolution. 2048x1536.

5770 Max Resolution. 2560 x 1600

Probably will need a newer card. i.e. AMD RX560 Max Resolution. 4096 x 2160, gigabyte or sapphire reported working Sierra or High Sierra, but possible issues starting at 10.13.2. There are probably other options.

I'm running an RX460 under Sierra, driving a 4k display.
Do you think there's any chance he can make it work under Snow Leopard? He's hesitant to update the OS.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

At full resolution? I don't think so.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:At full resolution? I don't think so.
That's what I thought. I wonder what the minimum version of MacOS would be?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:At full resolution? I don't think so.
That's what I thought. I wonder what the minimum version of MacOS would be?
I have no definite answer, but found:

http://www.macvidcards.com/store/p47/Nv ... _2_GB.html 10.10.5 minimum.

Another source suggests 10.10.3 minimum, and a third used 10.10.2.
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

UPDATE:

All has been fine for me on this until today when I did the latest security patch for El Capitan. When I restarted I was back to 2560x1080/50Hz (instead of the native resolution for the monitor, which is 2560x1080/60Hz, which is what the Pixel Clock patch from Floris had previously fixed back in December.) But now, alas, it has been undone by the security update (cue "She's Come Undone" by the Guess Who :mrgreen: )

OK, no problem just run the patch again, right?

Nope. Now when I run it, I get a message that it can't find "Otool" which is a developer tool that was required and downloaded last time I ran the script. The fix is apparently to download Xcode. (Last time I didn't have to download the full 12GB+ (!) of Xcode developer tools. The command script was able to locate and download the component I needed, Otool.)

Apparently, since December Apple updated Xcode from v8 to v9. And I can no longer download Xcode because it requires latest version of High Sierra! :banghead:

Now I am attempting to download Xcode v8, but it may not work. So basically I will have to decide if I'm ready to upgrade to High Sierra, if I want to run the Pixel Clock patch. (And who knows if it will actually work then).

Inexplicably, I am still not experiencing a stretch screen! (Because I am able to run at 2560x1080/50Hz -- that was only made possible by SwitchResX, which I have since uninstalled. Yet somehow that resolution is still remembered.

So, if you're following any of this technobabble, basically I can stay on El Crapitan and run at 2560x1080/50Hz, or I can put all bets on High Sierra to try to get the perfection of 2560x1080/60Hz, but risk that the script still won't work. And it still will require downloading the latest version of full Xcode!

:smash:
Babz

Post by Babz »

UPDATE 2:

Last night I downloaded and installed Xcode v7 (apparently the last version that would run under El Capitan). Took an ETERNITY to download, decompress, verify, install, and authorize this 10 GB behemoth, but still no joy! :smash: The script still can’t find Otool! It is apparently in a different location in the more recent version of Xcode that only runs on later versions of OS X beyond El Crapitan.

Nothing like spending TWO HOURS and losing over 10 GB of disk space, to install what is effectively a monitor driver! :banghead:

Now it’s looking more and more like I am bound for the badlands of High Sierra.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Sierra (not the High variety) is pretty great Babs. You can still get it if you want to try it. There is a link somewhere around here in MOTUNation.

I am running what I believe is a very similar or identical monitor under 10.12.6 in my graphics Mac Pro 5,1 hex; works with both a GT120 and ATI5770 without any hoop jumping or machinations for either GPU.
Babz

Post by Babz »

HCMarkus wrote:Sierra (not the High variety) is pretty great Babs. You can still get it if you want to try it. There is a link somewhere around here in MOTUNation.

I am running what I believe is a very similar or identical monitor under 10.12.6 in my graphics Mac Pro 5,1 hex; works with both a GT120 and ATI5770 without any hoop jumping or machinations for either GPU.
But are you running it with HDMI? All of this is because I don’t want to sacrifice my one Thunderbolt/Display Port. My monitor is said to be plug-and-play with DisplayPort. And I did order a cable on eBay to test that, but it was lost by USPS! :boohoo: The universe appears to be not making Ultrawide easy for me, it seems.

I’ll probably just go all the way to High Sierra. Any reason not to? In the meantime, I’ve opened an “issue” with Floris, so we’ll see if he comes up with anything.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Ah... the HDMI problem. Sorry I missed that. You are correct, Babs; I am running my ultra wide display via display port.

My research (when trying to get 60Hz from my studio's HDMI 4k display) revealed I needed an active display port to HDMI converter + SwitchResX to get 4k 60Hz under Sierra.

I have no knowledge as to whether High Sierra has improved Mac HDMI.

One other thought: Do you find the screen response is laggy at 50Hz? If not, just run at that refresh rate. I found 30Hz was unacceptable for me, but never tried 50Hz.
Babz

Post by Babz »

HCMarkus wrote:Ah... the HDMI problem. Sorry I missed that. You are correct, Babs; I am running my ultra wide display via display port.

My research (when trying to get 60Hz from my studio's HDMI 4k display) revealed I needed an active display port to HDMI converter + SwitchResX to get 4k 60Hz under Sierra.

I have no knowledge as to whether High Sierra has improved Mac HDMI.

One other thought: Do you find the screen response is laggy at 50Hz? If not, just run at that refresh rate. I found 30Hz was unacceptable for me, but never tried 50Hz.
I haven’t run it at 50Hhz long enough to say, but back when I briefly did, it seemed like maybe the color was slightly off, reds a bit over saturated. Will watch for lag. Meanwhile, it seems there is currently an incompatibility between UAD plugins and DP under High Sierra. It’s being addressed, acc to MOTU, and there is a temporary workaround, but I think I’ll hold off for a proper fix.

I have also had some communication with Floris, who seems eager to help, so we’ll what he comes up with.