Is anyone using a 2560x1080 21:9 Ultrawde monitor with Mac?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Is anyone using a 2560x1080 21:9 Ultrawde monitor with M

Post by James Steele »

Wow!!! That's incredible. I know you're probably burned out by all of this now, but it would be an awesome thing if you might be able to pass along just how you did this and a link to that zip file so others might benefit. Developer tools? Wow! Of course, I know that's probably a major effort so I won't blame you if you'd rather not. Just seems like you've blazed a trail, and passing along your knowledge could be very helpful for others in your predicament.

Still the plot may thicken... but it thickened in the fact that you climbed the the next higher peak of triumph over adversity! I'm truly impressed! :woohoo: :dance:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

We need to get back here.

2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

James Steele wrote:Wow!!! That's incredible. I know you're probably burned out by all of this now, but it would be an awesome thing if you might be able to pass along just how you did this and a link to that zip file so others might benefit.
Sure. Basically it's all explained on the link in my previous post. Here is that link again:

https://github.com/Floris497/mac-pixel-clock-patch-V2

The English is a little dodgy but comprehensible. The link to find the zip file can be found under the green button at the top right of that page that says "Clone or download". (Clone? Whatev.) Then choose Download Zip.

There are various "kits" (.command files) in that zip file. To determine which one you need, do "About This Mac" on your computer to see which GPU you have in your Mac. Then consult the chart on Floris's page to find the one that matches your graphics and version of the Mac OS.

To quote from that page, this patch:

"makes 4K/3840x2160/UHD/2560x1080/3440x1440 resolutions possible on older macs over both HDMI and DisplayPort. (other odd/high resolutions should also work)."

In other words, your Mac's GPU may be capable of handling these resolutions, but at the time it was released (in my case, late 2012) stuff like ultrawide and 4k may have not yet existed, or were nascent technology. This patch updates your graphics to accommodate these current-day resolutions.

The process basically involves entering the Terminal commands and following the directions. At some point in the process you are prompted that you need to install some "developer tool", I can't remember what it was, but it wasn't the full Xcode developer tool suite (although there is a button to download that, if you need it). Takes a couple of minutes for the developer tool to download.

Another thing that can throw you off is at the end you are asked to enter your password to allow the changes to the system. But unlike what we're used to when entering passwords (field with little dots that appear as you type) in Terminal you get NO visual feedback when you enter your password. But just type it and hit return and the script will advance to completion.

What else can I say? Oh, the disabling the "SIP" (System Integrity Protection) thing that you need to do at the beginning sounds ominous, but it's just a necessary step if you want to alter protected parts of the System in today's Mac OS. You boot into "safe mode" (restart while holding Cmd-R). You launch the Terminal from the Applications menu and enter a command (all details are on Floris's page) restart. And when the whole process is done, you enter another command and restart to turn SIP back on.

The only other part I'm a little unsure of is whether you need SwitchResX at all. Floris says it might be needed in some cases. In my case, I already had it installed and running at 2560 x 1080/50Hz when I ran the Pixel Clock patch and then uninstalled it when I was done and my newly available 2560 x 1080/60Hz resolution remained even after uninstalling SwitchResX.

Remember that you may not even need to go through any of this if you have a newer Mac or if you aren't using HDMI. These ultrawides should work plug-and-play if you are using Thunderbolt/Displayport (but I can't confirm that, since I haven't tested that personally).

Best,
Babz

P.S. I should mention that my situation is a Late 2012 Mac Mini Quadcore with El Capitan. According to some reports I read, I may have to do the patch again, if I ever upgrade to High Sierra, or newer OS.
Last edited by Babz on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Wow! Well that's just awesome, Babz! Thanks! I'm also impressed any time someone uses a word kind "nascent!" Babz the Brain! :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Babs, I have a similar monitor in the house, connected via Display Port, and, as you suggest, no gymnastics were necessary under Sierra driving the display with a GT120, 5770 or RX460 GPU.
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

Ha! Nothing like getting to be the world’s leading expert on something about which you knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING 3 days ago! :lol:

That’s technology today. What doesn’t kill you makes you smarter. (At least for 15 minutes.)

Now on to the next new hurdle, installation, configuration, update, interface, new standard and/or paradigm shift in the never-ending battle for non-obsolescence, workflow Nirvana, and the Theremin way.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Babz wrote:Ha! Nothing like getting to be the world’s leading expert on something about which you knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING 3 days ago! :lol:

That’s technology today. What doesn’t kill you makes you smarter. (At least for 15 minutes.)

Now on to the next new hurdle, installation, configuration, update, interface, new standard and/or paradigm shift in the never-ending battle for non-obsolescence, workflow Nirvana, and the Theremin way.
:lol:

If you keep this up Babs, you may beat Elon and Boeing to Mars!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:If you keep this up Babs, you may beat Elon and Boeing to Mars!
Yeah but...

Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids... :wink:

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:If you keep this up Babs, you may beat Elon and Boeing to Mars!
Yeah but...

Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids... :wink:
Yeah but...

There's nothing to burn up there. Fingers crossed re: California wildfires (LA and San Diego now).
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

True. Although I was hoping someone would chime in with "...in fact it's cold as hell." Bernie Taupin? Anyone?

Tomrabbit

Post by Tomrabbit »

"And all this science I don't understand" :shock:
MacBook Pro 8,3 2.3GHz i7 16GB Ram 10.11.6 , DP 7.2.4 & DP8 , Ultralite, Micro Express, Altiverb 6, Nomad Factory Integral Studio Pack etc...
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Tomrabbit wrote:"And all this science I don't understand" :shock:
Thank you!! :woohoo: I bet it's... "just your job five days a week."

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I just had to:

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I have a friend who has a LG 38UC99 38-inch ultrawide monitor. Here's a link to it:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/monitor-r ... 99-review/

Any chance he can make this work on a MacPro with a GT120 graphics card under Snow Leopard??

This seems like may be a tall order! He does have access to an ATI 5770 card if the GT120 lacks the oomph.

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

GT120 Maximum Digital Resolution. 2560x1600. Maximum VGA Resolution. 2048x1536.

5770 Max Resolution. 2560 x 1600

Probably will need a newer card. i.e. AMD RX560 Max Resolution. 4096 x 2160, gigabyte or sapphire reported working Sierra or High Sierra, but possible issues starting at 10.13.2. There are probably other options.

I'm running an RX460 under Sierra, driving a 4k display.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31