Is anyone using a 2560x1080 21:9 Ultrawde monitor with Mac?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Is anyone using a 2560x1080 21:9 Ultrawde monitor with Mac?

Post by Babz »

I bought this 21:9 LG Ultrawide monitor on a Black Friday impulse buy:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-29-ips- ... Id=5770301

But it has a native resolution of 2560 x 1080 and apparently my 2012 Mac Mini doesn’t support that so it displays all stretched.

I thought that modern Macs could support pretty much anything, and I know that these ultrawides are being used widely (pun intended) by the film scoring community, but apparently this is far from the plug and play state of affairs I was imagining.

Is anyone out there able to get one of these 2560x1080 21:9 montiors working with a Mac, if so how?

:roll: <sigh>
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Is anyone using a 2560x1080 21:9 Ultrawde monitor with M

Post by James Steele »

The monitor you got appears to have only two types of inputs: HDMI and DisplayPort. I'm pretty sure HDMI is by default 1980x1080 for HDTV is it not? So you'd have to connect your MacMini to the DisplayPort input of your monitor using some sort of adapter I'm guessing.

I just looked at the specs for your Mac Mini here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp659?locale=en_US
Video Support
Support for up to two displays at 2560 by 1600 pixels, both at millions of colors
So the Mac Mini clearly should be able to drive this monitor at its native resolution.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Actually I have to correct something after doing a little more Googling. I guess HDMI can do greater than normal HDTV resolution after all.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
rnappi

Post by rnappi »

Yeah, you need to use the mini displayport on the mac to get 2560 resolution. I run @ 2560x1440 on a 2012 Mac Pro and use a mini diplay to display port connection to my monitor. Also, make sure the scaled option is checked in system prefs.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46 Ghz Westmere 12 Core_96G Ram_OSX 10.12.6_DP 9.5
Babz

Post by Babz »

Thanks, James. Yes, I've been researching this. I've been trying to use something called SwitchResX, which is supposed to allow me to create a custom 2560 x 1080 setting, following the steps in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2MdxzAC4cA

But when I try it, I get Status "Not activated - invalid?".

I guess my only other option is to get the mini-display (Thunderbolt) to display port cable. But then I have to give up my Thunderbolt port.

Previously, I had been using two monitors, one on HDMI, and one on the Thunderbolt port. But I thought if I could get one wide monitor on the HDMI port, that would free up my TB port for drives or audio interfaces.

Yes, I could get some sort of hub, and that would give me a second TB port, but they actually cost more than this monitor! :banghead: :smash:

I've been at it all day. Will revisit tomorrow. :x

Thanks again for your support.
Babz

Post by Babz »

And it seems this is an Apple thing, because apparently this works w/ HDMI on Win 10 w/ LG's driver. :shake:
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Babz wrote:I guess my only other option is to get the mini-display (Thunderbolt) to display port cable. But then I have to give up my Thunderbolt port.
I think that's what you have to do. I don't have a Mac with Thunderbolt, so I'm not sure about this, but do they make Thunderbolt hubs?

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I guess they do make Thunderbolt hubs, but the ones I've found they call "docks" and they're not cheap... geez... $200 for this one: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB2DOCK12P/

Maybe there's some simple hub device that converts one TB out to multiple ones?

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Gosh... my brain hurts! This is above my pay grade. I was guessing. Can't seem to find any sort of device that can just turn one TB port into multiple ones. Reading that info at the link I posted, not even sure that will do it. :( Mike Halloran are you reading this? :D

philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Would something like these work?
https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/StarT ... 19514.aspx
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/TrippLite/U44406DPAM/

There are also adapters that go from USB 3 to HDMI but I do see where some are Windows-only so I'd suggest looking at Mac-centric sites.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Babz

Post by Babz »

James Steele wrote:I guess they do make Thunderbolt hubs, but the ones I've found they call "docks" and they're not cheap... geez... $200 for this one: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB2DOCK12P/

Maybe there's some simple hub device that converts one TB out to multiple ones?
Yup. $200 and up just to add an extra TB port. The ultrawide display itself was only $179.
Babz

Post by Babz »

OK, so after hours of trying to get SwitchResX to work, about 2AM I finally discovered a solution from reading YouTube comments on the video I posted above. It led me to this link which reveals the secret lies in entering a value of 159.84 “pixel clock” (whatever that is):

https://gist.github.com/erichrobinson/9 ... c45b289c40

Talk about feeling beyond “pay grade.” All I know is it works.

FYI, for anyone else who might find themselves up this particular creek in search of a paddle, what the video doesn’t show is that on any Mac El Crapitan and higher, you have to boot into “recovery mode” and “disable SIP” using Terminal commands. :smash: :banghead: because the shareware has to be able to save a new custom monitor profile to the System file.

But it can be done. You CAN get this monitor to work via HDMI, if you’re willing to go thru the antithesis of plug-and-play and rely on a piece of Byzantine shareware.

Basically, it seems Apple no longer cares about HDMI and LG can’t be bothered to write a driver for Mac users.

I don’t know if I should keep this monitor or not, but at least now I can try it out and see if I like it. :vomit: :!: :?: :twisted:
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Wow! Well that's awesome that you got it to work, Babz!! Such tenacity!!

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Babs achieves Mac Hero status with this achievement.

Great work!

It should be noted this is only the second time such award has been issued; the first was when Michael Canavan successfully performed de-lidding surgery on, not one, but two Xeon CPUs and upgraded his 4,1 octo Mac Pro to a 5,1 12-core.
Babz

Post by Babz »

Thanks for the kind comments, but ... The plot thickens.

The previous solution was working, but was not fully the recommended settings for the monitor.

There are the pixel dimensions or resolution (2560 x 1080), and I got this to work, and it fixed the stretched problem. But then there is “refresh rate” or frequency. The recommended setting for this monitor is 2560 x 1080 @ 60 Hz, but the best I could achieve with SwitchResX was 2560 x 1080 @ 50 Hz. I’m not sure of the performance implications of this discrepancy, and maybe 50 Hz would be close enough, but I began to wonder…

These LG widescreen monitors are the leading brand. Why does SwitchResX not offer this setting? Why should I have to do all this custom configuring? So I wrote to Stephane, the author, asking if it were possible he could add 2560 x 1080 @ 60 Hz as a standard setting.

He wrote back that there was an FAQ about this very issue that explains “why this is not possible on most Macs and what you can do to get your monitor working on these Macs.”

Basically, every monitor has something called an EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) that describes its capabilites and preferred settings to the graphics card of the computer. If the graphics card is capable of supporting that exact setting, you get plug-and-play. If not, you get a generic setting stretched to fit.

SwitchResX has the ability to read the EDID of the monitor and export it as a text file (I discovered by chance) and consulting that text file, I determined that although the display is rated as 60 Hz, it actually means 59.978 Hz. So I thought by entering 60 Hz, I was actually exceeding the maximum setting. Therefore, I entered 59.978 Hz in the appropriate field in SwitchResX (and matched all of the other exact settings from the EDID document), but I still couldn’t get it to take! Why?

I wrote Stephane again and learned that “pixel clock” is essentially the bandwidth (screen size in pixels + refresh rate) and that on most older Macs there is a limitation of 165 MHz pixel clock, which is why I could get 2560 x 1080 @ 50 Hz, maybe even 51 or 52 Hz, but not all the way to 60.

Then after more googling, I discovered this brilliant link:

https://github.com/Floris497/mac-pixel-clock-patch-V2

This guy, “Floris497” in the Netherlands has created a “pixel clock patch” script that updates and extends the capabilities of various Graphics cards in older Macs.

(The hardest part was finding the link for the script itself! It was not at all easy to spot on the page and many many people miss it. That took some time, and some googling and reading various forum messages back and forth between Floris and other users, where he responds in limited English. He kept saying “you need to download the zip file”. Zip file? WHAT zip file? It was like some dancing, monitor-nerd, Wu Li master who can only respond in cryptic zen hints: :lol: “Hahahah, Grasshopper, you must seek the zip file and all shall be revealed.”

FiNALLY, I found the zip file, ran the script, and it required downloading and installing all sorts of developer tools and such from Apple (this whole time in way over my head, with terminal commands and "disabling SIP", and such :roll: ), but in the end, IT ALL WORKED! :woohoo:

I now have updated graphics capable of natively supporting my monitor settings, and I no longer even need the SwitchResX shareware utility.

And it did seem to improve my display performance somewhat. The reds were a bit oversaturated under 50Hz, and things seem a little crisper now under 60 Hz. It also got rid of the LG monitor message that would pop up each time I restarted saying I was not using the recommended settings.

I have learned a lot from this, way more than I wanted. Pretty much the antithesis of “plug-and-play,” and I’m half ready to return this monitor and get something else. But I’ve come so far…. This was like an Indiana Jones quest, following the treasure map that had to be deciphered from the original Mayan hieroglypics, fighting snakes and booby traps, finding the secret entrance to the hidden temple, to eventually revealing the treasure. But I found it! I’m off to collapse in the fetal position for a couple of days… :P :?