"Sequence to Soundbite Tempo" behaviour

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
flextone
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

"Sequence to Soundbite Tempo" behaviour

Post by flextone »

Hi gang,

I've never been a heavy user of the Beat Detection and Conductor Track features of DP, forgive me if this question seems basic but I was a bit surprised from not being able to get it to work correctly.

So I recorded two audio files, both perfectly in sync with each other. Originally the drum machine was clock master, and the BPM was around 120. I wanted to match DP's conductor track to the one of them (stable drum track from a drum machine). Analysed Tempo, switched to conductor track mode and adjusted sequence to beat. This seemed to work fine (tempo track followed the drum machine correctly, fluctuation slightly between 119.5 and 120.5), however, the tracks I recorded weren't tightly synced anymore. These are two long audio files, not single hits comprising a track.

Any idea why? I would suppose DP would play these two tracks as originally recorded. It's only a few milliseconds off and at different degrees throughout, but enough to lose tightness between the original tracks. I did not adjust anything in these. The only thing was analysing the drum machine tempo.

I used to work solely outside of the computer and used DP mainly as a tape recorded and for mixing, but I'm slowly starting to incorporate DAWs into the production workflow so getting this right is crucial. I'll try experimenting some more.

Thanks for helping! :koolaid:
R