Click an event in the event list to trigger the MIDI note

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
revi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Click an event in the event list to trigger the MIDI note

Post by revi »

There used to be a "switch" in the MIDI event list window that would cause events to "trigger" when clicked. As I recall, it was something like "sound note" or the like. It was a little flag one could toggle to determine whether notes would sound when clicked on or dragged over.

That is, when this setting was on and a MIDI event in the event list was clicked, the corresponding note information would be sent to the receiving instrument.

This was available waaaaaay early in (pre-Digital) Performer and was extremely handy when editing info in the event list (e.g., in identifying particular percussion parts in a track, etc.).

I simply can't figure out how to get this to work. I've tried all sorts of different key combinations (e.g., ctrl or cmd and the note, etc.) but nothing seems to work.

Now, if the track is playing, I can click on an event and hear it but it used to be the case that one could "audition" events in a track by clicking on them even when the track wasn't playing.

I've tried searching online and looking in the DP manual but I can't figure this out. I feel like a "newb" for asking this question but I'm getting nowhere. I sure hope this hasn't been deprecated!

Many thanks in advance for your help!
FMiguelez

Re: Click an event in the event list to trigger the MIDI not

Post by FMiguelez »

That button is now located in the Transport window (if your preferences are set to show it).

You'll find it there. It has a little speaker icon, IIRC.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Not in front of DP right now, but I think that any VIs need to be in realtime mode in order to hear them (depending on what version of DP you have).
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
revi

Post by revi »

Many thanks for the prompt replies! Very much appreciated!

I wonder if I may have stumbled upon a bug of some sort - I will be contacting MOTU Tech Support.

Indeed, "Audible Mode" was the key term I needed!

Amusingly (or not), the DP manual has many references to Audible Mode but most just say "look at p. XYZ for details".

Upshot is that I can toggle Audible Mode on and off (indeed, there's that familiar little speaker icon) but the rub is that no sound is produced...at first at least...unless I simultaneously click or drag on a note or notes _and_ press the spacebar (which, of course, starts playback of the track).

After doing this once, I can then trigger notes individually (i.e., without the track playing), but it seems "fragile" in that it sometimes stops working (e.g., if audible mode is turned off and then back on but also if the window loses "focus" to use the programming lingo) and then I have to go through this rigamarole again.

Seems like somethings a tad wonky. I'll create a techlink with MOTU.

But I now have a workaround thanks to your very helpful suggestions!

Many thanks indeed!!!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Glad you got it working.

There's a command that reads "Play Selection". It's either Option-SpaceBar or Control-Space bar. Perhaps that might help avoiding what you describe when the window loses focus (which doesn't happen here at all with DP9.02).

Another thing to consider to avoid that issue is what cuttime mentioned about the VIs being in real time. Make sure you set them like that if you haven't.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
revi

Post by revi »

Hi there,

Again, many thanks for the info. I contacted MOTU and there may be a very minor bug involved in all this.

Here's a bit more info after a bit of further experimentation:

1.) Even if a VI is not in real-time mode, if you record-enable the track, you can click on MIDI note events and they'll sound (learned that from MOTU).

2.) With a non-record-enabled track, if the VI is set to real-time, per cuttime's comment, clicking on a MIDI note will cause it to sound. Oddly enough, if the real-time option in the VI is then unchecked, clicking on the MIDI note will still get it to sound (i.e., it's as though just enabling real-time once subsequently allows clicking on MIDI notes even if it's then disabled).

Bottom line though is that it's "mystery solved" and I'm good to go.

Many thanks again for your help!

Best,

Iver