Using VST plugins in DP instead of MAS / AU

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Chris T
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Using VST plugins in DP instead of MAS / AU

Post by Chris T »

VEPro6 is working fine with DP9.5.1 on my current rig (OS 10.10.5), but I'd like to upgrade my Mac to 10.13.1 (High Sierra).

I'm wondering about VEP 6 and DP 9.5.1 compatibility under OS 10.13.1 and read on the VSL forum that it is NOT there yet.

I was told that, in DP, since we're able to run VSTs AND MAS plugins, that VST versions are more stable with 3rd party software. Is this correct? If so, and since the MAS plugin is apparently the culprit re VSL in High Sierra, is the VST plugin working ok in DP9.5.1?

Is this not a 'safer' alternative to using the MAS plugin version? What are the disadvantages of using VST plugins in DP compared to the MAS or AU versions?

Thanks
Main SYS: 12-Core New Mac Pro (Dec 2013), 64GB RAM, OS10.10, Apollo Quad Interface, 3xSSD work/sound drives in TB Enclosure, UAD Plugs, DP, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2nd SYS: Intel 8-Core Mac Pro (2007), 28GB RAM, OS10.7, MOTU PCI 424, 2408 interfaces (4), DP8.07, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2 Mac Minis (2011): Dual Quad, 16GB RAM running VE Pro, various libraries in Kontakt, G-Player, UVI.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Using VST plugins in DP instead of MAS / AU

Post by FMiguelez »

AFAIK, the difference would be that, if you use the AU or VST version, you'd have to add MIDI port extensions via a VSL-specially-made solution specifically to deal with this (something about AU not supporting multiple MIDI ports natively in the same instance). I think Logic users also must do it like this. It only applies if you want to use more than 16 MIDI channels per instance.
It's really no big deal at all, and I prefer the AU or VST versions easily, since the MAS version tends to crash on me quite often and it is not as reliable.

Besides, VSL is supporting MAS out of "kindness" and coolness to us, but they could stop developing it or updating it any time if it becomes annoying for them or not worth their time anymore. That's why my template is all based on the AU or VST version, which I think works better anyway, even with that little add-on one must use which, in practice, one does not even notice it.

As for compatibility between DP9.51 and HS, I have no idea, since I'm still in DP9.02 and Yosemite.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Chris T
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Using VST plugins in DP instead of MAS / AU

Post by Chris T »

Thanks F. Yes I did install MAS in order to avoid the Audio Input plugin (which gets around the 16ch. limit). I also found the AI plugin caused instability in DP. MAS plugin does make MIDI routing simpler (and allows me to use less VI Instances, which is easier on the computer).

Anyone know about DP 9.51 and its compatibility with VEPro 6 update within OS10.13.1 ?

thanks!
Main SYS: 12-Core New Mac Pro (Dec 2013), 64GB RAM, OS10.10, Apollo Quad Interface, 3xSSD work/sound drives in TB Enclosure, UAD Plugs, DP, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2nd SYS: Intel 8-Core Mac Pro (2007), 28GB RAM, OS10.7, MOTU PCI 424, 2408 interfaces (4), DP8.07, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2 Mac Minis (2011): Dual Quad, 16GB RAM running VE Pro, various libraries in Kontakt, G-Player, UVI.