Spectral effects

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
faonfaon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Spectral effects

Post by faonfaon »

Hi,

Did you try spectral effets ? Is it a gadget or a powerful tool ?
I would like to try to sing 4 parts and give the upper parts some changes to be feminine voices.
Is that possible or not ?
What interval is ok for the change ? I guess one octave is a lot.
Can you give me some advices to achieve a good performance ?
Does anybody has some demo ?
Thank you !
Mac mini 32 GB Ram - OS X Monterey 12.4 - Digital Performer 11.2 - Apollo Twin - VSL - Ivory II - Drumcore 4 - Appassionata Strings - Synful - Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 - Vienna Mir Pro - Special Edition - Konzerthaus Orgel - Pianoteq 7 - Chamber Strings - Solo Strings - Symphonic Choirs - Pettinhouse Guitars - Notion 6 - BBC Symphony Orchestra Pro from Spitfire Audio
stubbsonic

Re: Spectral effects

Post by stubbsonic »

One funny little thing I tried. I took a recording a female singer and pitched it down to my range and then tried to copy that sound when I sang the track slowed down (along with slowed down accompaniment). Then when I varispeeded it back up, the result was HILARIOUS!! ... CREEPY!!!.... but not good.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

:dance: There are those who use Antares AVOX plugins to try this. You can purchase the individual plugs or the whole suite. I’d download the demos first.
http://www.antarestech.com/products/index.php

Sweetwater has a Black Friday price
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... gK7uPD_BwE

Antares plugs work in DP (for Mac only) but automation isn’t very good (none at all for Autotune). Full automation is best done in Logic and then you use the tracks in DP.

Again, they do give you a demo so try before you buy.

I have a deep bass voice. Yes, it can make me into a soprano but not a convincing one — not that I haven’t sung all parts on a choral demo...
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
faonfaon

Post by faonfaon »

Thanks stubbsonic to share your experience :rofl:

And thanks mikehalloran for these informations. I've listened to all the demos and..... not natural at all.

I will try with DP.

Thanks

François
Mac mini 32 GB Ram - OS X Monterey 12.4 - Digital Performer 11.2 - Apollo Twin - VSL - Ivory II - Drumcore 4 - Appassionata Strings - Synful - Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 - Vienna Mir Pro - Special Edition - Konzerthaus Orgel - Pianoteq 7 - Chamber Strings - Solo Strings - Symphonic Choirs - Pettinhouse Guitars - Notion 6 - BBC Symphony Orchestra Pro from Spitfire Audio
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Love Spectral FX to bring James Earle Jones into my studio on spoken word stuff.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

When I pitch my voice up an octave I sound like my wife. I've used this in the past to mockup demos for her to record (she's a soprano), and she sometimes has been unable to tell us apart!

Favorite use of spectral formant effects is when Adrian Belew (King Crimson) made himself sound like an old black blues singer for "Prozac Blues".

But yeah, what are some good plugs? I don't have any these days, I did way back in the early 00s, but they got lost along the way.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy