Visual click punches - How do you make it work?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
remmet
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Visual click punches - How do you make it work?

Post by remmet »

I'm trying to avoid using headphones just to hear a click, so I thought I'd utilize visual punches as the click track. I read the manual, enabled movie overlay, checked "Generate Punches", set the color and size preferences for the punches, and enabled the click track. But when I press Play, nothing happens. The movie window stays black and no visual clicks/punches appear.

What am I missing?

Thanks for any clues about this!

Richard
Mac mini 2018 3.2GHz i7; OS X 10.144.6; 64 GB RAM; DP 10.1; Apollo X6; Kontakt 6; Omnisphere II; Adagio Everything, Spitfire almost Everything, Berlin Winds and Brass, Xosphere 2, and endless other sample libraries, acoustic and electric guitars, and assorted other essentials that have helped make me the "almost break even guy" my accountant so admires.
philbrown

Re: Visual click punches - How do you make it work?

Post by philbrown »

I tried to do this too and gave up on it.

Subbed.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

I was looking at this once before I think the best solution would be to use a MIDI output.
You could build one your self or there's one you could buy.
I would want more than just a single LED on the pre-made one though.

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodbti.htm
http://www.highlyliquid.com/
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
magicd

Post by magicd »

There has to be a movie loaded in order to use the visual click. The visual click won't show up in an empty movie window.

Dave
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Duh! No wondr we couldn't make it work :lol:

Thanks, Dave!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
SMS

Post by SMS »

I seem to remember that Performer (before DP?) had a visual click- a rectangle in which one side was filled black and it would flip back and forth to the click... I guess that's long gone?

SMS
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

This is the kind of thing I was looking for but I think they no longer make them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg8iThRwzlw

https://www.lasermetronome.com/
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.