Track Colors to Mixer

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Track Colors to Mixer

Post by waxman »

I needed to do some ProTools sessions. Not my favorite except one HUGE advantage. Track colors in mixer. Does anyone think M-Nation folks know enough friends in high places to get this in the next DP version? This is something that has been discussed before here. viewtopic.php?f=26&t=64098&p=547920&hil ... ls#p547920

Who else would like to see this feature? imo it certainly makes inserting FX and adjusting Auxes a whole lot easier... What do you DP folks think?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
RROY

Re: Track Colors to Mixer

Post by RROY »

+1
Mac Pro 2x2.4 quad core /24 gb ram/OS 10.13.6, Dp 10.13, MTP AV, /UAD 2, KOMPLETE 12, Stylus RMX, SD 3.0, EZ Drummer 3, A&H ZED R 16.
sayatnova
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sayatnova »

Absolutely! But, I am also the guy who made a custom colour swatch to include the same grey as the background so I can put empty tracks with the grey colour in between track groups to separate section on the track view for me...;-) I am very visual, and bothered by things that are not well thought out aesthetically. Not to say that DP is not good in that regard, but that it could be even better with the track colours in the mixer option!

~Shea
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I suspect this is a consequence of Themes that makes this difficult - otherwise if easy they would have done it ages ago. Studio One and Reason do this, as I presume does Pro Tools. But in DP, with Themes, the mixer is sort of fixed in colour or texture by the png file in the Theme and would be difficult to change to the colour of the track. The faders can change colour depending on the choice of record, solo, etc. but the alternative colours are on the png file. It would be more difficult to make this depend on the track colour. So I think the great options of Themes, limit the options for coloured mixer channels. I use Studio One mostly now and find coloured mixer channels of some use but not massively so - and I do miss the customisation options of Themes. I would imagine that DP would have to do a big re-write to allow this function - I am not sure the benefits are that great given my experience of other software (as the colours can cause confusion). Better to have a clear mixer channel with the track name clearly labelled (which DP does well).
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

That would be great if MOTU can make it work with Themes. Subdued colours in the empty parts of the channel strip with saturation and brightness settings would be a good thing.

Meanwhile, I've adopted Shooshie's idea of empty tracks. I've edited a colour scheme so I can use black as a track colour for the empty tracks to better define the sections of the mixer.

A similar idea from FM is bundles with names that make a readable list, and another from someone I can't remember to use empty named Soundbites to mark and label places in the Sequence editor.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I would HAPPILY give up themes if that meant we could have track colors in the mixer like in ProTools!

Or at the very least, it would be nice if we could have the mixer color strip at the bottom, like it is now, AND in the top as well. That would suffice and be so helpful!

:unicorn:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

??

2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
waxman

Post by waxman »

FMiguelez wrote:I would HAPPILY give up themes if that meant we could have track colors in the mixer like in ProTools!

Or at the very least, it would be nice if we could have the mixer color strip at the bottom, like it is now, AND in the top as well. That would suffice and be so helpful!

:unicorn:
Track colors at the top and track names would be amazing. I float the mixer above the Raven mixer and having the colors and name would be incredibly helpful. Like the horizontal track window columns option setting up mixer vertically would do it for me. Not willing to give up Themes... Themes are SO NICE...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.