Wondering if DP 9.51's using virtual cores

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Wondering if DP 9.51's using virtual cores

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:My Activity Monitor doesn't show a number of cores available under "CPU." It just show the names of softwares that are using or recently used the CPU.
Open the CPU Usage window Jim... find it under the "Window" menu in Activity Monitor.
I think recent OS versions stopped showing this. I haven't seen it for a long time. It used to be in iStat too, but that stopped working on my system too.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

No, actually, I just found it, and came here to say so. HCMarkus is correct.

If you double click on the CPU Usage panel, it opens up a big window that shows (on my machine) 24 CPU cores. I had no idea.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Right. Found it. Thanks. I don't know how anyone can keep up with this stuff.

Seems you have to load DP up pretty good before you see anything on the virtual cores, but they do show activity.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Hyperthreading has been around forever, mostly it's more food for thought on not overloading Kontakt instances with heavy duty libraries like Cinesamples that have a lot of automatic scripting, and not overloading individual tracks with too many plug ins, easier said than done... :lol:

I would be really really surprised if DP wasn't using virtual cores, since it's been around and the norm in chip architecture for the last ten years or so.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
dreamuse
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by dreamuse »

I can indeed vouch for DP using virtual cores, but you have to stress it pretty hard (and with more VI's than cores) before you see the virtual CPU meters start to move.
2013 Trashcan, 12 core, 10.14.6, 64GB RAM,
http://www.uncannymusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

The nice thing is, now that we have DP's pre-rendering working for us, it takes a bigger project to stress those CPU(s).
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

HCMarkus wrote:The nice thing is, now that we have DP's pre-rendering working for us, it takes a bigger project to stress those CPU(s).
One thing I always have found puzzling is the "Aux track issue" with PreRender, it also is the case in most instances with Freeze in most DAWs that it doesn't like Multi out instruments or Aux tracks etc. Busses tend to mess with it. Can't freeze those things typically. Same for PreRender NextGen PreGen or whatever MOTU want to call it in the next version! :P

So yeah, all my CPU use is in live tracks, Aux Tracks and multi out instruments, which makes you think about workarounds for that since say, a drum setup with FX on each track fed to a drum buss is all not going to get pre-renderd..
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Gravity Jim wrote:No, actually, I just found it, and came here to say so. HCMarkus is correct.

If you double click on the CPU Usage panel, it opens up a big window that shows (on my machine) 24 CPU cores. I had no idea.
I know...late for the party!

I'm currently running El Capitan (10.11.6) and when I double click on the Activity Monitor with the CPU button engaged the window just gets larger?

And in the Activity Monitor>Window> "CPU Usage" is grayed out?

Trying to track down an occasional, but annoying, DP performance issue that seems related to the recent installation of El Capitan.

Thanks!

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)