DP 4 files

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
razkeys
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 4 files

Post by razkeys »

Hey guys,
New here, trying to get some old files into latest version and the executable file is gone and clicking on icon gives me a .txt file filled with gibberish. I see the audio files so I know they still exist, any ideas, Best, Mark Raz
FMiguelez

Re: DP 4 files

Post by FMiguelez »

They're in the old audio format of Sound Designer II. You can open old projects in newer DP versions, and it will convert the old audio format into something newer, like BWAV or AIFF.

I just did this a few days ago. It works flawlessly.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Some of my old projects open up with the files as .aif while others open up with .sd2. Makes no sense to me but all m projects open up going back to 2.x.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
magicd

Post by magicd »

If it's a DP session file from an older version but it's not recognizable by DP9 that suggests the type and creator data have been stripped from the file. That can happen if the file is stored on a non-Mac formatted drive or sent via email.

Add .dpdoc to the end of the file name. DP9 will now recognize it as a Digital Performer session file.

Dave