Background Processing "Stuck"?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Background Processing "Stuck"?

Post by Rick Cornish »

Hi folks........
I've been working on an all-audio project. As I want to close out of it the other day, it gave me this pop-up:
Background Processing still has work to do. If you quit now, all unfinished Background Processing will be canceled. Are you sure you want to quit?
So I canceled out and let it sit for a couple hours. When I came back, no change, so I quit anyhow. This has persisted. There are two tasks showing in the Background Processing window: one that's finished—or nearly so (Building overview for Mic-40) and another that has yet to start (Finding beats in Mic-40). I've tried to cancel the tasks, but they always re-appear.

It hasn't stopped me from working in the project. Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this and if it's anything to be concerned about.

Thanks.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
wdegillio

Re: Background Processing "Stuck"?

Post by wdegillio »

I've seen this as well. It hasn't interfered with my work (I just close the project after the "Save" dialogue appears), but it seems to be worth fixing if MOTU can reproduce it.

Thanks for posting this, Rick. You beat me to it.
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzYInT ... 53N-Rs3c-g
Instagram - billgdegillio

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 (6.2)* 16 gigs RAM* OS 10.15.7* DP 11.22* MOTU M4* Scuffham S-Gear* Sibelius 8*
Xfer Records Serum & Nerve* u-he Zebra2 & Hive* NI Komplete 13* Korg Legacy Collection*
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61* Presonus Central Station* Dynaudio BM5a* Rode NTH-100 & Grado SR225 Headphones
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

wdegillio wrote:I've seen this as well. It hasn't interfered with my work (I just close the project after the "Save" dialogue appears), but it seems to be worth fixing if MOTU can reproduce it.

Thanks for posting this, Rick. You beat me to it.
You bet. Glad I’m not alone. Keeping an eye on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Was there anything unusual about the audio files?

I had this happen when I dragged a bunch of audio files from an old Cubase Atari Falcon project into DP. I assume DP was building waveform images and analyzing tempo etc. It never finished.

I loaded these files into a more recent version of Cubase, exported them, and imported these into DP, and didn't get the problem again. Perhaps there was something in the original audio files DP wasn't able to figure out.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

bayswater wrote:Was there anything unusual about the audio files.
Nope. All were originally recorded into this project.
Rick Cornish

ernie5

Post by ernie5 »

This happens to me. Doesn't really interfere, but it's a little annoying. Has anyone figured out how to remedy? THX!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I have experienced this exactly one time.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote:I have experienced this exactly one time.
Yes. The background processing monitor showed that it was crashing at the same point every time with an Access Denied error. I fixed privileges and permissions on the files in Get Info and I was good.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

Yes, I’ve seen this once. Doing a lot of takes, trying to nail a particular short passage ... Record. Save. New Take. Record... I must have started recording a new take too soon, before the previous one had finished rendering the waveform overview. It must have gotten stuck at that point and would never render. To fix it, I just had to hunt down which soundbite it was (easy to identify since the waveform was a hollow outline). I just deleted that soundbite (which fortunately was not THE take I was shooting for) and that background processing error message went away.

Babz
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

You can also trash the files in the Analysis Files folder and DP will re-build them all the next time the project is opened. This has worked for me in the past when an analysis file gets messed up.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Rogeri

Post by Rogeri »

Postby Phil O » Tue May 08, 2018 6:38 am

You can also trash the files in the Analysis Files folder and DP will re-build them all the next time the project is opened. This has worked for me in the past when an analysis file gets messed up.

Phil

Phil, you are a life saver.. This totally worked for me... My project started getting the spinning wheel all the time and made it impossible to get anything done. Trashing the analysis files was a 100% fix! Thank You!
dwood3455

Post by dwood3455 »

This was the response from MOTU about 3 months ago. It worked for me.

Create a new project. Go to File>Load. Locate the project you are currently having trouble with, select it and hit open. The Load dialog box will come up. Select the chunk that contains the audio/movie and hit OK. This will load that chunk into the new project. Open the Chunks window (shift-C) and select the play button next to the chunk that you just loaded in to enable that chunk.
Various analog front end gear-> Apogee Rosetta 800->Quadcore 2.2 GHz MBP/OSX 10.13.6->Rosetta->HR824's, Apogee Duet,Various FW HD's,
Yamaha CL5> Dante Virtual Soundcard> Mac mini, DP 10.01
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Rogeri wrote:Phil, you are a life saver.. This totally worked for me... My project started getting the spinning wheel all the time and made it impossible to get anything done. Trashing the analysis files was a 100% fix! Thank You!
Glad I could help. 8)
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
fradubio

Post by fradubio »

Phil O wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:38 am You can also trash the files in the Analysis Files folder and DP will re-build them all the next time the project is opened. This has worked for me in the past when an analysis file gets messed up.

Phil
That worked for me! Thanks!!!
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:33 pm Yes. The background processing monitor showed that it was crashing at the same point every time with an Access Denied error. I fixed privileges and permissions on the files in Get Info and I was good.
Hey Mike... *Which* files do you fix privileges and permissions on? The privileges and permissions look fine on my DP files (at least when I look at them in Get Info), but Background Processing is getting stuck often.
Rick Cornish