DP> Play on one MIDI channel and have many respond...

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP> Play on one MIDI channel and have many respond...

Post by FMiguelez »

Hello.

Now, this is something I should know how to do... but I don't. DP 101 stuff, but I can't even look it up in the manual because I don't know what I'm looking for :smash:

I simply want to play a Stylus patch on MIDI channel 1, but I also want channels 4, 7 and 8 to respond, so I can layer something easily without having to copy/paste notes.

There´s a way to do that without reassigning channels, correct? So, what is it? What am I looking for?

Thanks!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
HCMarkus

Re: DP> Play on one MIDI channel and have many respond...

Post by HCMarkus »

Although I haven't used it for years, I recall there is a way to set up a MIDI Group or something... someone will chime in here I'm sure.

Another approach is to record to a single-channel MIDI track, then Duplicate the track (as many copies as desired additional MIDI channels) and reassign MIDI outputs of the new tracks. Advantage, of course, is independent editing and mixing/automation control over your layers.
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

I think it goes something like this...
- New instrument with 1 MIDI track
- Populate the multitimbral instrument, each part on a separate MIDI channel
- Create a MIDI Device Group, select the multitimbral instrument.
- Click the icon below the keyboard on the left of the Device Group window to open a matrix similar to the MIDI monitor. Click on the MIDI channels you need.
- Set the output of the MIDI track to the Device Group
- Setup multi outputs in the instrument routed to audio, or not
- Select Multi record from the Studio menu
- Play
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

HCMarkus wrote: Another approach is to record to a single-channel MIDI track, then Duplicate the track (as many copies as desired additional MIDI channels) and reassign MIDI outputs of the new tracks. Advantage, of course, is independent editing and mixing/automation control over your layers.
Agreed.
I'm all for this degree of control. I've been doing it like you described, but I figured I could try to improve this workflow.

What I'm trying to do, and I think it will work as I expect now that I know how to do it, is to control and program only 1 MIDI track, but catch and record to independent audio channels each element of the layer from the Device Groups. So I play one note, and I could get 5-6 independent audio tracks. Total control :)

I'll see if this works with kicks and all that. I'm hoping the timing will be almost perfect (as good as MIDI allows). If this works how I'm hoping, it will be a very nice addition to my DP toolbox :)
wvandyck wrote:I think it goes something like this...
- New instrument with 1 MIDI track
- Populate the multitimbral instrument, each part on a separate MIDI channel
- Create a MIDI Device Group, select the multitimbral instrument.
- Click the icon below the keyboard on the left of the Device Group window to open a matrix similar to the MIDI monitor. Click on the MIDI channels you need.
- Set the output of the MIDI track to the Device Group
- Setup multi outputs in the instrument routed to audio, or not
- Select Multi record from the Studio menu
- Play
Perfect! Thank you very much, wvandyck!
So it's called Device Groups (p. 129 of the manual). I just read it and it is exactly what I want. It seems simple enough to use.
I'll try these Device Groups right now.

Thank you guys! :D
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

FMiguelez wrote:What I'm trying to do, and I think it will work as I expect now that I know how to do it, is to control and program only 1 MIDI track, but catch and record to independent audio channels each element of the layer from the Device Groups. So I play one note, and I could get 5-6 independent audio tracks. Total control :)
Great idea! If you will be rendering as audio anyway, you hit a nail right on its head FM.

Timing shouldn't be an issue using VIs, and if it is, a little track shift will handle it quickly.