How to Convert old SD2 files to wav files?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rosindabow
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to Convert old SD2 files to wav files?

Post by rosindabow »

I have a file that has a ton of SD2 files but I would like to convert them into a modern format, either .wav or .aif files. They are already in the file and a lot of editing has been done so I cannot just bring in new audio and start again. Is there any method to force convert the audio files that all lined up and playing just fine?
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
mikehalloran

Re: How to Convert old SD2 files to wav files?

Post by mikehalloran »

DP can still handle sd2— Bounce to Disk is one solution., sorta-kinda.

QuickTime Pro 7.6.6 still works if you have an old license for QTPro 6 or 7 — use the Export function. It's still available for download from Apple. Like BTD, one file at a time. Here's the manual
https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/ ... _Guide.pdf

QT 10 converts them to mp4 automatically—not what you want. iTunes can do it manually — not what you want.

For a lot of files, you want something with Batch Processing. If you have DSP-Quattro or TwistedWave, you're all set. The interfaces are different but both will do exactly what you want. I have both and prefer TW @ $79.90 as it's really fast once you get to know it and has a fully functional 30 day demo. It's been 64 bit for quite awhile, now.
https://twistedwave.com/mac.html

Plenty of DSP-Q fans, too. $99 with cross-grade pricing if you own Logic $79 or BIAS Peak $49. Unlike TW, it's still 32 bit, however (c'mon, Stephano!).
http://www.dsp-quattro.com/dspquattro/S ... attro.html

If it's one big bunch of files, the TwistedWave 30-day demo is kind of a no-brainer (if you don't already have DSP-Q, of course). I use it a great deal.

No way I like to convert one file at a time in QT Pro 7 ... but, if converting only one file, that's what I reach for.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

I own a great program for batch converting from NCH Software called Switch. But that is not what is needed. These files are inside Digital Performer and need to be converted within the program. I already batch converted my files but there are 111 of them so there is no way I can bring them back into my file and have DP locate them and place them where they are supposed to be. I tried that and it was probably going to take at least an hour or two to do. I need a way to convert the files inside DP. No one is using SD2 any more - it is a dead codec - there should be some way convert the audio I already have inside of DP. Thanks for the suggestion ...
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If you wish to preserve editing, I think your only choice is BTD, one track at a time.

Since DP still handles Sd2, I'm not sure I understand why you want to go through the process.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

Because I am moving this file around from DP to Pro Tools to Logic ... It would just makes life easier.
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

Well- I bit the bullet and did a merge files within each track - all from a common start time - this seemed to be the best solution. Now all the little pieces are combined in one large .aif file per track. Not the perfect solution but I can live with it.