Can't MIDI learn Waves plugins?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JMVideo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can't MIDI learn Waves plugins?

Post by JMVideo »

I just bought the Waves MetaFilter plugin and using it within DP, but can't get any of the darn knobs to MIDI learn. The plugin is pretty much useless unless I can control the knobs from an external device like my Novation SL MKii.

Does anyone know if there's a way to set up automation within DP or other ways to get these knobs to respond?

I tried yelling at the thing... Learn, damnit, learn! But that didn't work.

Re: Can't MIDI learn Waves plugins?

Post by FMiguelez »

Try doing it via Automap!
I use 2 SL MK II keyboards as well, and I could make Waves plugins respond to Automap easily back when I tried it.

Back then we didn't have DP MIDI learn, so it had to be all done with Automap. I remember being able to tweak the Q equalizers from my keyboard, but it quickly got old.... I don' remember what it was, but it was more work finding and tweaking the plugin in Automap than quickly doing it by double-clicking in the mixer to open the plug and tweak it manually, especially if you have a ton of tracks with 1 or 2 EQs each....
I found out that all this sounded better "in theory", but in practice it was lame or not practical.

I quickly also gave up even trying to use my Novation stuff for controlling volume or pan in the mixer. It was ridiculous navigating a large template in chunks of 8-tracks at a time. It's not practical, I'm afraid :(

What my Novation keyboards are INDISPENSABLE for, and they excel at, is for recording my plethora of MIDI CCs and keyswitches to control my VSL orchestra. I could not think of doing it any other way.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Either way, I haven't tested MIDI-learning Waves' plugins with DP, and it should work as intended.

I wonder if doing it with DP would make the issues I mentioned above ANY better?

What I think made things terrible is that none of this worked for a plug-in "kind", for whichever was currently the active plug window at the top... No. It was as if the same plugin wold be different just by being on other tracks.

Have things changed in the last 2-3 years regarding this?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
JMVideo

Post by JMVideo »

Thanks for tips! I tried Automap earlier but that didn't work, though I'm not really an Automap expert so maybe I'm missing something. It could be a limitation with the plugin, but could Waves really have made it impossible to automate the buttons? I hope not.