Can I apply soundbite gain to a specific region?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can I apply soundbite gain to a specific region?

Post by David Polich »

I am having a problem with soundbite gain.
I will select a region of an audio track (for
example, bar 22 to bar 64) and apply Soundbite
Gain to that region, but the result is the ENTIRE
track gets the gain, not just the region I
specified.

How do I apply soundbite gain to just a
portion of an audio track?
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
FMiguelez

Re: Can I apply soundbite gain to a specific region?

Post by FMiguelez »

I think the only way is to separate that region from the rest by cutting it, so it becomes an independent SB.

Oh. Never mind. I though you meant the other type of gain. Are you talking about the one where you draw lines?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Page 594 explains that it applies to the whole soundbite. Command-Y will split the region into a new soundbite and then you can apply the gain. The only way I know to get around that would be to use normal volume automation– if you have some reason not to split it out into a new bite.

On a related note - can anyone explain the difference between bite gain and bit volume?
I've never gotten a handle on that. I use bite gain (I think).
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

philbrown wrote:can anyone explain the difference between bite gain and bit volume?
That difference will answer both of your questions.
David, Bite Volume is what you want to be using for this. Bite Gain will adjust the whole soundbite. Any Bite Volume adjustment, however, will add a new layer to the pulldown menu and if you look at it you will see and automation line has been drawn which can be edited like any other automation. If you make a range selection and adjust Bite Volume up or down though, the results are probably not what you were looking for. It will raise or lower that region up or down and draw a line from those new control points to the closest surrounding control points. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

Philippe
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Phil O wrote:
philbrown wrote:can anyone explain the difference between bite gain and bit volume?
That difference will answer both of your questions.
David, Bite Volume is what you want to be using for this. Bite Gain will adjust the whole soundbite. Any Bite Volume adjustment, however, will add a new layer to the pulldown menu and if you look at it you will see and automation line has been drawn which can be edited like any other automation. If you make a range selection and adjust Bite Volume up or down though, the results are probably not what you were looking for. It will raise or lower that region up or down and draw a line from those new control points to the closest surrounding control points. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

Philippe
Thanks Mr. Phil. I use both bite gain and volume automation a lot but never saw the reasoning behind bite volume (and still really don't) so I've never used it.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

philbrown wrote: Thanks Mr. Phil. I use both bite gain and volume automation a lot but never saw the reasoning behind bite volume (and still really don't) so I've never used it.
I suppose bite volume allows us to do exactly what David wants> to change the gain only over a section of a SB. SB Gain, unless you cut the SB to separate the relevant section, is for the whole enchilada. :)

I love SB Gain to do quick precise volume edits, which are much faster than drawing with regular audio volume. I LOVE the visual feedback. Which brings me to>

---------> I wonder if there's a way to do this?
Suppose you edited some soundbites with either method. Then you decide to re-record some parts...
Is there a way to keep the previous SB's gain/volume settings into the new one's???
Perhaps using the Replace SBs command? (I've never ever used it).

That would be nice, so you don't have to reproduce your previous SB leveling editing (i.e., re-record programmed MIDI parts after tweaking some programming but keeping the same overall volume).

Why do I always have trouble with binary stuff? I keep confusing them Left/Right, Bite GAIN/Bite VOLUME... :shake:
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

FMiguelez wrote:
philbrown wrote: Thanks Mr. Phil. I use both bite gain and volume automation a lot but never saw the reasoning behind bite volume (and still really don't) so I've never used it.
I suppose bite volume allows us to do exactly what David wants> to change the gain only over a section of a SB. SB Gain, unless you cut the SB to separate the relevant section, is for the whole enchilada. :)
I thought of another use after posting: If you have a soundbite with more complicated automation than SB gain allows and you're going to place it in other spots, then I assume that automation would travel along with the soundbite wherever else it's placed.

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I use the Command-Y split-the-soundbite, then apply gain as needed approach all the time.

I'll Merge soundbites if moving the phrase around in a tune or using it multiple times, like when flying BVs into multiple choruses.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. So its
Bite Volune I want to use.

Soundbite Gan is handy for remixing projects
I receive, where the audio tracks I get are either
uniformly far too low in level, or they are
clipped. Sadly, I almost always see these issues
with Pro Tools projects I get...a lot of PT guys
dont know how to export audio fiiles correctly.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

HCMarkus wrote:I use the Command-Y split-the-soundbite, then apply gain as needed approach all the time.
Just a side note that you can also split a selected SB at the playback cursor with Option-Y.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

philbrown wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:I use the Command-Y split-the-soundbite, then apply gain as needed approach all the time.
Just a side note that you can also split a selected SB at the playback cursor with Option-Y.
Both are great methods that support specific workflows. One of those 2 splits the selection and gives you the new SB already selected, so you can do anything to it instantly without further mousing around.

I really really love using SB gain. Then only time it bit me in the butt were a couple of times that I needed to re-record parts. I naturally had to do most of the same edits again for those tracks (splits, SB Gain, etc. ...

But MOTU could easily make a great workflow for this.... If the only differnce is a similar but better performance with the same music, i.e., MIDI track corrections, DP could take note of the properties of the SBs in the track and remember them and apply thm automatically to the new audio parent file.
This would cover beautifully those who love using SB Gain and SB Volume, who occasionaly need to make retakes.
I mean, if I can duplicate the edits, DP could also do it automatically, only better and faster... Software's grat for this! :unicorn: