Unable to Save AU Plugin Presets—SOLVED

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Unable to Save AU Plugin Presets—SOLVED

Post by James Steele »

I'm going to mark this "Solved" for now.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Thank you, James and apologies for the slow reply. I did test this with a couple of my other (non-Plugin Alliance) plug-ins and it worked exactly as you described. What’s more, when I inadvertently mis-named one plug, DP created a correctly-named plug-in folder with all the factory presets inside the brand folder I created.

I agree this one has been solved. Thanks, everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Rick Cornish wrote:Thank you, James and apologies for the slow reply.
Hahaha... no apology necessary. Of all people, I one of the ones who know just how busy you are! :)
What's interesting is that I did test this with a couple of my other (non-Plugin Alliance) plug-ins and it worked exactly as you described. What’s more, when I inadvertently mis-named one plug, DP created a correctly-named plug-in folder with all the factory presets inside the brand folder I created.
Ah yes... I think that's related to the discovery I made later and posted about in this thread. I had initially believed it was necessary to create a folder named after the plug-in after creating the folder named after the developer. That was incorrect.

For example, for Stylus RMX (like Buzzy asked about), all that is necessary is to go to: HD/Library/Audio/Presets/ and create a folder called "Spectrasonics". After doing so, either "Save Preset..." or "Reveal Presets in Finder" will create the folder "Stylus RMX" inside the "Spectrasonics" folder. So the key to the whole thing is the existence of a folder with the developer name.

I'd also add that to be recognized the developer folder must be named exactly as it appears in the menu when you click the Plug-In insert.
I agree this one has been solved. Thanks, everyone.
What's funny is this little niggling issue had vexed me for a while, and until your post about it, never bothered to investigate.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

James Steele wrote:
buzzsmith wrote:Following, and did anyone try with any Spectrasonics VIs?
Yes... did it just now. Absolutely works with Stylus.

1. Go into the HD/Library/Audio/Presets
2. Create New Folder (put in admin password when requested)
3. Name the Folder "Spectrasonics"
4. Go to DP's preset menu for Stylus and choose "Save Preset..."
5. DP will create a folder called "Stylus RMX" inside the "Spectrasonics" folder.
6. Save the Preset.

Thanks, James.

What you described is exactly how my current file system is set.

HD/Library/Audio/Presets/Spectrasonics/ ...and then 3 folders for:
Omnisphere
Stylus RMX
Trilian

The presets will be saved to these locations (depending on which VI, of course) but about 50% of the time they won't truly be "saved". In other words, the preset is visible and loadable, but empty.

If the preset shows 6 KB then I know that it really wasn't saved even though it's listed.

Somedays it works as expected and then, an hour or so later, it doesn't.

Maybe I could save this folder to a new location and start from scratch with your method to see if that restores the expected functionality.

Thanks...

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

uncle dunc
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by uncle dunc »

I just moved from DP 7.24 in OS 10.6.8 to DP 10.11 in OS 10.12. I can't save custom presets with non-Motu plugins like UAD and Nomad Factory Blue Tubes. I added folders in HD/Library/Audio/Presets, named Nomad Factory and Universal Audio. No luck. I can save presets with Motu plugins, and when navigating to where they're being saved, they're going into that same Presets folder in that same location. Any ideas? UAD and Blue Tubes have their factory presets intact.
sayatnova
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Unable to Save AU Plugin Presets—PARTIALLY SOLVED

Post by sayatnova »

James Steele wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:36 pm
buzzsmith wrote:Following, and did anyone try with any Spectrasonics VIs?
Yes... did it just now. Absolutely works with Stylus.

1. Go into the HD/Library/Audio/Presets
2. Create New Folder (put in admin password when requested)
3. Name the Folder "Spectrasonics"
4. Go to DP's preset menu for Stylus and choose "Save Preset..."
5. DP will create a folder called "Stylus RMX" inside the "Spectrasonics" folder.
6. Save the Preset.

Just following up here. This did not work for me, but it just needed to be tweaked a little:

You need to use your user profile library, not the system wide top-level one! This only modifies #1 in the above instructions. Should now be:
1. Go into the HD/users/your user name/Library/Audio/Presets

The rest is the same and it does make a folder and save a preset into it, now. HOWEVER, the presets do not load successfully in my Claro EQ plugin. They are viewable and selectable, but do nothing. So annoying!!!
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yeah... I posted that video FIVE YEARS AGO... so things might have changed with the OS and where those things are stored?