Question Regarding Selections

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Scorer
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Question Regarding Selections

Post by Scorer »

Hi guys,

have two questions regarding selections:

(1) is there an option to re-select the last selection ?

(2) in the TO window, there is the selection bar up top which allows to fine tune the selections range.

The only way this works for me is to make a dummy selection first and then punch in the real time code of the range in the selection bar that I want...

is there any way to punch in the time code numbers and then execute a command that selects that range ? (basically without having to make a dummy selection first)

Thanks !
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Question Regarding Selections

Post by FMiguelez »

Scorer wrote: (1) is there an option to re-select the last selection ?
Kind of. I don't remember its name, but I know there's a way to make DP remember a selection (but not necessarily the last one).
I think you access it by a contextual menu somewhere in the Transport window.
Scorer wrote: (2) in the TO window, there is the selection bar up top which allows to fine tune the selections range.

The only way this works for me is to make a dummy selection first and then punch in the real time code of the range in the selection bar that I want...

is there any way to punch in the time code numbers and then execute a command that selects that range ? (basically without having to make a dummy selection first)
If there is a way, someone will probably tell you about it.

In the mean time, you can try setting time ranges via F5 and F6, which will place the start and end of the selection range according to the wiper position. So place the wiper where ever you want the selection to start (there are many quick methods for this, such as pressing numeric keypad "." and entering a bar number followed by Enter) and press F5. Do the same for the end point of the selection range.
It can even be done in real time while playing.

You can also quickly create selection ranges by dragging with the I-Beam tool on a track or the top of the window.

A cool trick to come up quickly with precise range selections that match a MIDI note length or a SB, is by double clicking on them with the I-Beam tool. Instant useful selections!
Then, these can be expanded to some or all other tracks with shortcuts too.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Scorer

Post by Scorer »

@FMiguelez:

thank you. I do some of that already, and my intent is to reduce the amount of keystrokes when creating specific time code range selections.

so currently, with creating a dummy selection and then punching in the time code that is the fastest I can come up with... everything else seems to be more keystrokes...
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by philbrown »

Setup > Commands and type "Remember" in the search bar and you'll see some commands there, but I'm not sure if they're accessible via a menu or only by key combos. I'm not seeing them in DP's regular menu items and the manual just mentions it passing when I search the user guide. Maybe someone else can chime in.

EDIT: Page 506 of the user guide has some info.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
mesayre

Post by mesayre »

I use the tab key. That selects the values at the top of Tracks window to allow quick entry. Is that what you mean?
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB