move notes back to not overlap

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Fanc
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

move notes back to not overlap

Post by Fanc »

Hi, i have one problem, i appreciate if you can help me:
Sometimes in my projects, some notes are overlapped, is there any function in dp that pulls back those notes until the beginning of the next so as not to overlap? (sorry my bad english)
philbrown

Re: move notes back to not overlap

Post by philbrown »

DP 9 User guide page 572 "Change Duration"
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

If you follow Philbrowns advice on the Change Duration command you will find an option to move the end of a note to the onset of the next. Sometimes, you then have to select all notes and reduce their length by one tick to ensure that new notes are triggered.

IIRC, this has to do with the way DP assigns priority when two notes at the same pitch are playing at the same time.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea, this was a bug that appeared at some point in the past 7 years or so, where consecutive notes of the same pitch that ended and started on the same tick, DP would play the note on first, and the note off second, so you'd get dropped notes. At some point it was fixed-- sort of.

I occasionally have to insert a duration plugin (on the MIDI track) to subtract 1 tick.

For the move releases to nearest next note start thing, you will want to check the results if you have some chords or things that might be interpreted unexpectedly.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote:Yea, this was a bug that appeared at some point in the past 7 years or so, where consecutive notes of the same pitch that ended and started on the same tick, DP would play the note on first, and the note off second, so you'd get dropped notes.
I didn't know it was a bug. Someone told me it was just a decision by the programmers to give notes already playing priority over newly triggered notes. Made no sense of course.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8