Change sustain controll with extend note events (legato)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Fanc
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Change sustain controll with extend note events (legato)

Post by Fanc »

Hi, sorry my bad english
Anyone can tell me if is possible convert sustain control with extend notes? For example i record a piano with sustain, and after i need replace the sustain with extend the event notes of piano (legato). It's possible in dp?
Thanks
Best
Filipe
philbrown

Re: Change sustain controll with extend note events (legato)

Post by philbrown »

DP 9 User guide page 572 "Change Duration"
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
FMiguelez

Re: Change sustain controll with extend note events (legato)

Post by FMiguelez »

You can also do it graphically by selecting a bunch of notes and shorting or extending them there with the mouse.
Sometimes this works, sometimes Phil's suggestion works better, depending on the music and needs.

I think it was you who asked a similar question about overlapping in another thread:
So, if you want to make notes in a passage NOT overlap, but with a "perfect legato", then select them all, change their duration to something like 20 ticks, and then use the Extend Releases To Next Note command from the Change Duration command. Bam! Instant non-overlapping (but it may need some checking and editing in some situations).

Or if you want them to overlap, do the same as above, and then select them all again and extend them as needed.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman