Configure a Send for Sum to Mono

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Don T
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Configure a Send for Sum to Mono

Post by Don T »

Hello,
I get that guys BUT: My point is, if trim is doing a perfect sum to zero in my test then it cannot be responsible for the differences you are seeing. In the OP's test from different software companies there are so many variables that I'm not sure I would expect them to behave exactly the same.
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Don T wrote:Hello,
I get that guys BUT: My point is, if trim is doing a perfect sum to zero in my test then it cannot be responsible for the differences you are seeing. In the OP's test from different software companies there are so many variables that I'm not sure I would expect them to behave exactly the same.
What would those variables be?

Summing should follow an established formula, and any software company's summing plugin should sound the same as any other as long as they're set to do the same> sum without any bells and whistles.

The fact that ALL 3rd party plugins cancel between each other supports that fact. I just don't know if DP sums in a different way than the others. It should NOT be the case, so that's why I asked about this whole issue.

The question remains open...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
oshtakuta

Post by oshtakuta »

"I just don't know if DP sums in a different way than the others. It should NOT be the case, so that's why I asked about this whole issue."

hmmm... it scares me
Don T

Post by Don T »

FMiguelez wrote:
Don T wrote:Hello,
What would those variables be?

Summing should follow an established formula, and any software company's summing plugin should sound the same as any other as long as they're set to do the same> sum without any bells and whistles.

The fact that ALL 3rd party plugins cancel between each other supports that fact. I just don't know if DP sums in a different way than the others. It should NOT be the case, so that's why I asked about this whole issue.

The question remains open...
Variables:
1, Modeling software (vintage), Some plugins use OSX system processes some write their own, would make results system / OS specific. Process used to invert for the null sum before and after. System anomalies may differ, version of every process used, preference file corruption etc.
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness