Download for Sierra 10.12. ?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
lito
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Download for Sierra 10.12. ?

Post by lito »

Hi Forum,

on my mac ( late 2012) I'm working with DP 9.5 and El Cap. Now I would like install Sierra 10.12.
For High Sierra it is to early for me and I'm not in hurry !
But the problem is I can't find on my Apple webstore only 10.12.1 and not 10.12.
Is it a problem to install 10.12.1 from 10.11.6 without installing only 10.12. ?

Greets Lito
Only a Tele is good enough !!!
midiw

Re: Download for Sierra 10.12. ?

Post by midiw »

Mac OS: Mojave
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

midiw wrote:take a look here

https://support.apple.com/downloads/
Nope, not there.

Apple pulled the complete 10.12 installer when 10.13 was released. You can try contacting Apple Support to see if they have a download link they can email.

You can install it from a copy that someone has archived. Make certain that it is zipped (archived) before copying (sneakernet, Ethernet, DropBox ftp, usb etc.) or it might not work on your Mac. The file is just over 5G.

If you have a DropBox account with that much free space, I can upload it or can do so via ftp if you have a server set up.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

mikehalloran wrote: Apple pulled the complete 10.12 installer when 10.13 was released. You can try contacting Apple Support to see if they have a download link they can email.
When clicking Purchase, just left of the Updates button in the App Store menu bar, all previous versions of OS X are there - Lion through El Capitan. Sierra is conspicuous in its absence.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

wvandyck wrote:
mikehalloran wrote: Apple pulled the complete 10.12 installer when 10.13 was released. You can try contacting Apple Support to see if they have a download link they can email.
When clicking Purchase, just left of the Updates button in the App Store menu bar, all previous versions of OS X are there - Lion through El Capitan. Sierra is conspicuous in its absence.
Yes. That was done on purpose.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:Yes. That was done on purpose.
What is the purpose? I thought it might be that because HS runs on anything that runs Sierra, HS can be considered an update, so there is no reason to install Sierra. But if you have Sierra, you can still apply updates from the App Store. Yesterday, I went from 10.12.3 to 10.12.6 on my ancient iMac, and as noted above, I can still get everything from Lion to EC from the App Store. I did "purchase" Sierra. So why remove access to Sierra?

(as an aside, I noticed that the App Store app did not show HS being available for my iMac when it ran 10.12.3, but does show it being available when running 10.12.6. That suggests some sort of retro change to the iMac, at least the ancient iMac, to prepare it for HS?)
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
midiw

Post by midiw »

bayswater,

excellent comments.

It may help this forum if you raised those questions at Apple Support Communities https://discussions.apple.com/welcome and update us here.

As an aside you noted
I did "purchase" Sierra.
did you actually pay $$$$ to Apple for Sierra ?
Mac OS: Mojave
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

midiw wrote:As an aside you noted
I did "purchase" Sierra.
did you actually pay $$$$ to Apple for Sierra ?
No, I didn't pay for it. I used purchase in quotes because it shows up in the list of purchased apps in the App Store, along with other apps you may or may not have paid for.

I think I know the answer to the questions, but was wondering what Mike thinks.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

it shows up in the list of purchased apps in the App Store
Sure about that? If it's there, what version of 10.12 are you running? I know it was gone by 10.12.6 or .5 and may have disappeared sooner or was never there at all.

https://www.imore.com/macos-sierra-disa ... -app-store

I downloaded the installer from the App Store (but not the Purchased tab) the day before 10.13 was released so that I would have the complete 10.12.6 installer for my archives. I had 10.12.5 on a bootable thumb drive and wanted to update it.
It may help this forum if you raised those questions at Apple Support Communities https://discussions.apple.com/welcome and update us here.
That will do absolutely no good. I don't know exactly why Apple pulled it from the App Store other than they really don't want people to be able to go backwards. I suspect it is to put pressure on developers to update before OS 10.14 when 32 bit is supposed to go away.

I've already explained how one can get the 10.12 installer if you're late to the party. You might also find it still available on a torrent or download site — a few promise to have it.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:
it shows up in the list of purchased apps in the App Store
Sure about that? If it's there, what version of 10.12 are you running? I know it was gone by 10.12.6 or .5 and may have disappeared sooner or was never there at all.
Maybe that was confusing. I was referring to the general case that anything you get from the App Store shows up in the list of purchased apps even if it was free. Sierra doesn't appear there anymore, but all other OS X versions after 10.6 still do. (If you ever installed them.) The updates for Sierra were also still available at the App Store after the release of HS, as long as you didn't have 10.12.6.
mikehalloran wrote:I downloaded the installer from the App Store (but not the Purchased tab) the day before 10.13 was released so that I would have the complete 10.12.6 installer for my archives. I had 10.12.5 on a bootable thumb drive and wanted to update it.
I always download OS X versions once the next is announced and just archive it in case I want it. I also download any subsequent updates if they appear before the release of the next version.
mikehalloran wrote:I don't know exactly why Apple pulled it from the App Store other than they really don't want people to be able to go backwards. I suspect it is to put pressure on developers to update before OS 10.14 when 32 bit is supposed to go away.
Yes, I think that's pretty much it but it also applies to customers. Apple wants us to move on, get the new stuff, and stop having to support all the old stuff that generates zero revenue.
lito

Post by lito »

Sorry for my late response, but in the meantime I was be in luck and have got a 10.12. version from a musician friend of mine.
Thanks a lot for your answers and especially to @mikehalloran for his offer !!!

Greets from the alps !
Only a Tele is good enough !!!
BobK

Post by BobK »

This is a mess.

Since Mavericks, I've always saved the Mac OS installers - except Sierra, which I forgot to save when installing on my MacBook Pro.

By the time I remembered, High Sierra had been released. I still wanted a copy, though, both in case of problems with my MBP and also to install on my Mac Pro 4,1 > 5,1.

This Apple support document says that from Sierra onward, the OS won't appear in the MAS "Purchases" list - instead, just search for it in the Mac App Store.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201272

However, some people (e.g., at MacRumors forums, and one of my friends) DO have Sierra in their Purchased list. Go figure.

It's not in my Purchased list, or in my purchase history accessed via iTunes (as recommended by Apple).

Oddly, Apple does provide a direct download for El Capitan from a web page - but not for Sierra:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

I thought maybe I could download the Sierra installer via Recovery Mode, but I tried many times over several days, and all I got was an error message saying the download wasn't available and to try again later.

I reached out to Apple via web chat and phone, eventually speaking with two "Senior Advisors". It was a complete waste of time - they were useless. For example, one of the chat support people said there's no reason anyone would want to install Sierra now that High Sierra is out. When I read that, I closed the chat window. smh.

Eventually I got my hands on a Sierra installer when someone posted it on a forum (not here), but that was apparently illegal, and the post was soon removed. That seems a little weird given that Apple support had recommended I get an installer from a friend.

It's absurd for a company with Apple's resources to drop the ball like this.

(end of rant)
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:I've already explained how one can get the 10.12 installer if you're late to the party. You might also find it still available on a torrent or download site — a few promise to have it.
Do you think I'd get in trouble for hosting a download here? I have the space for it. I don't have this installer either, and I'd love to have it just for peace of mind.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
midiw

Post by midiw »

Although finally found that illusive macOS Sierra 10.12.6 (16G29) Installer ( weighs in at 5+ Gigs ) on one of my many external firewire hard drives there actually are torrent downloads.

Check out https://www.warez-bb.org/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

I use Firefox ( version 56.0.1 ) and had to allow the browser special clearance ( a built in protection feature for Firefox these days ) to go to the site.

Corrected my error in posting another site.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

UPDATE: Here is the newest, good installer for Sierra:

http://motunation.com/files/Install%20m ... ra.app.zip

This is the installer for macOS 10.12.6 which was the latest version.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!