Download for Sierra 10.12. ?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
BobK
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Download for Sierra 10.12. ?

Post by BobK »

mikehalloran wrote:If there has to be a reason, I would think it is so that Apple Support can just email a link without having to open another back door to their FTP site.
If only they could have done that! It would've saved me a lot of time and hassle.

Not one of the five people I reached at Apple, including two "Senior Advisors" I spoke with on the phone, knew about this link. Nor did they know of any other way to get Sierra, or why it wasn't available (when all previous versions of Mac OS X back to at least Lion are on the app store), or why, when I tried to get it via Recovery Mode, I got an error saying the file wasn't available.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
rentadrummer

Post by rentadrummer »

I already have Sierra installed, but if I wanted to download the one on the App Store as an extra backup, at what point do you quit the installer?
Ron
BobK

Post by BobK »

rentadrummer wrote:I already have Sierra installed, but if I wanted to download the one on the App Store as an extra backup, at what point do you quit the installer?
I downloaded it for the same purpose as you. When the download finished, the installer launched automatically, and I quit at the first window. Easy!
Bob

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
rentadrummer

Post by rentadrummer »

BobK wrote:
rentadrummer wrote:I already have Sierra installed, but if I wanted to download the one on the App Store as an extra backup, at what point do you quit the installer?
I downloaded it for the same purpose as you. When the download finished, the installer launched automatically, and I quit at the first window. Easy!
Thanks. That was easy. The installer is now in the Applications Folder as well as backed up.

You mentioned in an earlier post that it's now listed under "other purchases". I don't even see this as an option in the App Store. Just Updates and Purchases. Is this hidden?
Ron
BobK

Post by BobK »

rentadrummer wrote:The installer is now in the Applications Folder as well as backed up.
Just in case you don't know: in the past when I've run installers from the Applications folder, they delete themselves after the install. Don't know if that's still the case; when I installed on my MacPro recently, the installer was on another drive.
rentadrummer wrote:You mentioned in an earlier post that it's now listed under "other purchases". I don't even see this as an option in the App Store. Just Updates and Purchases. Is this hidden?
No - it was another category at the top of the "Purchased" window. That was earlier today. I just re-launched the App Store and it's gone!
Bob

DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

rentadrummer wrote:This probably won't be needed because James already uploaded the installer, but I thought it was interesting that Sierra is available from the App Store:

From the MacInTouch forum:

"If you're looking for Sierra in the App Store, it looks like this link is working, at least for the moment:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-s ... 7414?mt=12

(I just verified that it works on one of my machines. Hat tip to the Low End Mac group on Facebook for the link.)

Why does Apple have to make everything so difficult these days?"

Is it better to download it from the App Store and quit the installer to save it, or is it the same installer that Mike provided?
Well that's helpful! That should be the preferred one to download. I'll still leave the one that I posted just as a backup.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
rentadrummer

Post by rentadrummer »

mikehalloran wrote: The file I uploaded is already zipped. This is important for the installer to work on any Mac other than the one that downloads it (unzipping on your Mac gives you the proper permissions and privileges if you are logged in as Admin). That is the only difference.
When I replaced the file you uploaded with this new one from the App Store, I noticed that your file was not zipped and appeared to be the same. Was the unzipped version accidentally uploaded, or does it automatically unzip when downloaded? Thanks.
Ron
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

rentadrummer wrote: When I replaced the file you uploaded with this new one from the App Store, I noticed that your file was not zipped and appeared to be the same. Was the unzipped version accidentally uploaded, or does it automatically unzip when downloaded? Thanks.
Nope. You made a mistake.

I downloaded the file from James's link and it was zipped — as I uploaded it. For kicks, I just downloaded it again — still zipped.

Using a crude FTP client such as FileZilla, there was no way for me to accidentally upload the wrong file.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

rentadrummer wrote:...I noticed that your file was not zipped and appeared to be the same. Was the unzipped version accidentally uploaded, or does it automatically unzip when downloaded? Thanks.
Like Mike said, I uploaded the zipped file he sent me. In fact, technically it's exactly the same as Mike uploaded it, because all I did was move it do a different directory on the server after he uploaded it to me. It's definitely zipped.

I suspect your browser is set to automatically unzip completed downloads. It's a large download, so if you started the download and walked away and came back later, your browser probably unzipped the file and then deleted the original zip archive when it was done. There's a setting for this on most browsers. I purposely set mine NOT to automatically expand zip archives after downloading.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
rentadrummer

Post by rentadrummer »

James Steele wrote:
rentadrummer wrote:...I noticed that your file was not zipped and appeared to be the same. Was the unzipped version accidentally uploaded, or does it automatically unzip when downloaded? Thanks.
Like Mike said, I uploaded the zipped file he sent me. In fact, technically it's exactly the same as Mike uploaded it, because all I did was move it do a different directory on the server after he uploaded it to me. It's definitely zipped.

I suspect your browser is set to automatically unzip completed downloads. It's a large download, so if you started the download and walked away and came back later, your browser probably unzipped the file and then deleted the original zip archive when it was done. There's a setting for this on most browsers. I purposely set mine NOT to automatically expand zip archives after downloading.
Sorry about that. I'm using Safari and downloaded it again as a test. It still wasn't zipped, but having said that, it was the setting under General in the Preferences, that says "Open safe files after downloading" which I forgot to uncheck when I did a clean install a few weeks ago. I tested it again and the file remained zipped. Thanks.
Ron
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I suspect your browser is set to automatically unzip completed downloads
it was the setting under General in the Preferences, that says "Open safe files after downloading" which I forgot to uncheck when I did a clean install a few weeks ago
Been so long, I forgot that was a browser setting. I remembered something like it in OS 8 ... Thanks for the reminders.

I don't keep 5G archived files in my Applications folder so that they become part of my Time Machine backup. I do have them all archived — one never knows...

Speaking of clean installs... Although I rarely (never?) recommend them, they can be a good idea every few years.

One of the problems is that an older application may work quite well in Yosemite/El Cap/Sierra or High Sierra but its installer no longer does. I have a number of apps with that issue.

For that reason, if performing a clean install, best to start with the oldest OS where you know that installers will still work — then, when done, update the OS. Till recently, for me, it was Mavericks. During my testing for OS 10.13, I discovered that I no longer had use for the one app that won't install in 10.10 so I bumped up my earliest to Yosemite (Office 2008 won't install in El Capitan). Of course, I am not you.

Next year, OS 10.14 promises to drop all 32 bit support. It's possible that, after I have sorted out whether or not I will update (one critical app is still 32 bit), I will use that occasion to clean out my system and start fresh. It will not happen till after I have updated and qualified everything, however. I may even wait to buy my planned new Mac till after 10.14 is released. We'll see...
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Lulu-german

Post by Lulu-german »

So how to get Sierra without using torrents?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Lulu-german wrote:So how to get Sierra without using torrents?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Read this thread and click on one of the links.
Lulu-german

Post by Lulu-german »

Thanks. Is DP 9 the last version to work on previous Mac OS generation pre High-Sierra?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Lulu-german wrote:Thanks. Is DP 9 the last version to work on previous Mac OS generation pre High-Sierra?
DP 7.24 will not install after OS 10.11. If the OS is updated, 7.24 still works through OS 10.12 but isn't supported after 10.8 (I think). Interestingly, it also works in High Sierra but only if APFS is not enabled.

DP 8 and 9 work over Sierra and earlier on an Intel Mac. I don't know when/if DP 8 stopped being supported.

Neither 8.07 nor 9.x are supported on High Sierra but both work. You have to re-enter the log in information after every reboot of your Mac. I expect that MOTU should get this fixed soon. I have had no problems running DP 9.13 and 9.5 over OS 10.13.

DP 8 made my iMac run hotter over 10.13 so I removed it after testing — definitely not recommended.

DP 9.13 and 9.5 are optimized for OS 10.11 and higher. Among other things, it means that you can use lower buffer settings. I and others have confirmed this.