New to DP 9 > Kontakt Multiple Audio Outs?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Steve_Karl
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New to DP 9 > Kontakt Multiple Audio Outs?

Post by Steve_Karl »

Hi there,
(I hope you see that I'm not comparing one DAW to an other, but need to tell of my "general" experience in the hope that we can enhance my friends usage of DP)

I'm attempting to help a friend who is a long time user of DP who just got much more horse power with a new MAC and an upgrade to DP 9, Kontakt 5.7, and Omnisphere 2.

I'm a Windows / Sonar Platinum user and have a lot of experience with Kontakt, Omnisphere and Sonar but of course it's a different DAW.
I'm hoping my "general" experience might also translate to DP if we can find the correct settings in DP.

The problem:
My friend and I are having trouble putting an instance of Kontakt into DP 9 where it *automatically* puts all audio outs into DP already linked to the st.1 through st.16 in Kontakt. (We're doing this over the phone talking through it)

We have successfully setup Kontakt to remember the default outs in Kontakt as st.1 through st.16.
---
My experience:
with Sonar is that in an empty project(no tracks in the project)
I can just:
Insert Synth > Kontakt > "All Audio Outs" and Sonar will insert 32 stereo audio tracks with the first 16 correctly assigned inputs from St.1 through St.16 ...
and 1 MIDI source track.

I then manually delete 17 through 32 (audio tracks)
insert 15 more MIDI tracks, point them at Kontakt MIDI channels 2 through 16
Put the Audio tracks in a folder called K5 1 Audio
Put the MIDI tracks in a folder called K5 1 MIDI
Route the outs of the Audio tracks to a Summing bus and then
Save that setup as a track template ...

... so the next time I want a fully configured instance of Kontakt I just load that track template and there it all is ... correctly configured as above.

---

So, (problem)
In DP, we're not finding an option to insert Kontakt with all audio outs.

We've stopped for the night, and I'll have no trouble walking my friend through manually setting up the template from scratch, i.e. inserting the extra 15 audio and 15 MIDI tracks,
.....but it seems to me that we're probably just missing a way to set the option in DP to insert synths with all audio outs?

Omnisphere for instance has 8, as does Stylus,
and it would be good to know if DP can automatically insert correctly routed audio tracks to not only Kontakt but also other synths.

We'd both appreciate a little help from you more experienced DP users on this issue.
"IF" it needs to be done manually then just say so, but if there's a quick trick we're missing then please point us to where the setting change needs to be made?

Also,
once we've got the templates built (Kontakt, Omnisphere, Stylus, Easy Drummer) can they then be saved as track templates"?

... and loaded into a blank project, one at a time, in a way that for instance he can just load the Kontakt template, into the project to start,
but then maybe later, load and other instance of Kontakt fully configured,
and then later load an instance or 2 of Omnisphere,
and then later Stylus or Easy drummer
all from the fully configured and correctly routed templates?

Thank you!
Steve
mikehalloran

Re: New to DP 9 > Kontakt Multiple Audio Outs?

Post by mikehalloran »

I’ll be brief. In DP, each instance of Kontakt uses one core — up to the number of cores. So, with an 8 core Mac, for example, you will run up to 8 instances of Kontakt and balance your load accordingly (my iMac is a quad core so I run up to 4).

I’ve never tried to make Kontakt run the way your describe so I can’t answer the question.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Steve_Karl

Post by Steve_Karl »

Interesting. Thanks for reminding me where to look for any options for multi-core usage. My friend has a 6 core with 6 virtual also so it should show as 12 in a DAW I suspect.
I think I'll have a look for the full .pdf manual for DP 9 ,,, via google.

Any other comments or answers to my original post would be really welcome.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Steve_Karl wrote:Interesting. Thanks for reminding me where to look for any options for multi-core usage. My friend has a 6 core with 6 virtual also so it should show as 12 in a DAW I suspect.
I think I'll have a look for the full .pdf manual for DP 9 ,,, via google.

Any other comments or answers to my original post would be really welcome.
Look under Help to find the manuals in .pdf. You can also save as separate files. When trying something new, I open the User Guide or Quick Start on a separate monitor or my iPad.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Steve_Karl

Post by Steve_Karl »

I don't have DP installed here so I found the full .pdf manual online.
It seems "V-Racks" is what we need to look at. Page 747.

Also page 21 ”Load a Sequence, Song or V-Rack” for a way to manage what I'd be calling track templates.
Steve_Karl

Post by Steve_Karl »

I’m, at this point, assuming that DP can’t insert all audio tracks for a vsti Instrument and that the templates will need to be built manually.
No big deal.

So ...
The manual - page 21 “loading a song” (into a song that is already open)
... relates to quickly building up that new song,
from existing softsynth templates that were previously built and saved as songs,
say for instance in a folder called “my synth templates”
Nothing is in these templates other than 1 correctly configured instance of Kontakt or Omnisphere, or Stylus ... ideally build a template for every vsti.

If you have templates built and correctly configured for all of your softsynths and want to then quickly build up a new song from the beginning ...
It seems that opening a new empty song, and then loading any, some or all of
those template oriented songs into the new empty song would be the way to do it.

Can some one please check my logic and the possibility that this will work?

Thank you!
SMS

Post by SMS »

Studio menu>Bundles. Set up (and name) bundles for each output (pair) you'll need to use from Kontakt, then they will be available as inputs.
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
Steve_Karl

Post by Steve_Karl »

Thanks SMS
I'll pass this along.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Steve_Karl wrote:I don't have DP installed here so I found the full .pdf manual online.
It seems "V-Racks" is what we need to look at. Page 747.

Also page 21 ”Load a Sequence, Song or V-Rack” for a way to manage what I'd be calling track templates.
The installing the demo will give load them also and let us u see from r yourself. Fully functional for 30 days.
Steve_Karl

Post by Steve_Karl »

No need or desire to install DP here. Just helping a friend.