Do you love the song window? Tell me all about it!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Do you love the song window? Tell me all about it!

Post by James Steele »

SixStringGeek wrote:
James Steele wrote:
frankf wrote:DP left Studio Vision in the dust a while ago.
To be fair, Studio Vision pretty much committed suicide via mismanagement at Opcode and later Gibson. It was the only DAW that really tempted me away from DP at one point.
Opcode Music System lives on. Its called CoreAudio/CoreMIDI though. Same guy wrote both.
I know about Doug Wyatt. However, Studio Vision and Studio Vision Pro, which is what was brought up, is dead, buried, and decomposed.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

James Steele wrote: I know about Doug Wyatt. However, Studio Vision and Studio Vision Pro, which is what was brought up, is dead, buried, and decomposed.

If you go back in time and try Studio Vision and DP, you'll be appalled not only at both, but also at the MacOS which we all used then. Not to mention hardware speed and drive capacity. This whole art/science was just a fledgling back then, and nobody knew for sure if it ever would completely replace tape and big studios. It was a beautiful idea, but so slow, so encumbered, and so little capacity. That said, I thought DP was wonderful even then. Performer sure was. We remember that feeling — how great it was — but without anything better to compare it to, what did we know? Now, the idea of putting together a song or any kind of musical file in those old apps just petrifies me. I won't go back!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Shooshie wrote:If you go back in time and try Studio Vision and DP, you'll be appalled not only at both, but also at the MacOS which we all used then. Not to mention hardware speed and drive capacity.
Yet we persevered. And it's a good thing as I remember there was a period of time where the big decision was whether to go with hard disk recording or the ADAT/DA-88 route. There were arguments on both sides. I went with the hard disc route despite the "limitations" of the day. I had a crippled ProTools Project system back in the days when Digidesign could get away with placing *flagrant* limitations on hardware/software. But it was obvious where the future was headed.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

Shooshie wrote:
James Steele wrote: I know about Doug Wyatt. However, Studio Vision and Studio Vision Pro, which is what was brought up, is dead, buried, and decomposed.

If you go back in time and try Studio Vision and DP, you'll be appalled not only at both, but also at the MacOS which we all used then. ...
Shooshie
[/quote]

I just moved houses (lost my lease) and unearthed my old powermac G4 - which most probably has my copy of Studio Vision on it along with some old song sketches. I'm fixing to fire it up in the next week and see what's on it before probably sending it out to be recycled.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Careful when you do. Don't let the Langoliers get you!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|