Wanting a solid control surface for DP 9.5

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Wanting a solid control surface for DP 9.5

Post by Gravity Jim »

James, I just have the basic unit, so I can't say on the faders. But that would be the expected behavior. I don't know if DP is providing that function, or if it's built-in to the Mackie Control Protocol.

HC, the different templates are slotted into "channels," and Channel 7 is listed as "User Defined." I started with the Logic channel, which is pretty much just a Mackie Control set-up, and went from there. If you want to build from scratch, the User Defined channel would be the place.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:One more Platform M question... no template for DP is available. In setting up, did you use another DAW's template to start or do a complete custom setup in the controller's app? Thanks Jim!
I think the controller's app was only for Windows or did I misread that?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Yes, the mac app is announced since some time……………………………………………………….. :mrgreen:

Klaus
waxman

Post by waxman »

James Steele wrote:I'm guessing tactile feedback? Real faders and pots?
I added a second Raven last month. It's nice to have everything right at the fingertips. I only need the 2 screens using quick keys with DP layouts. It takes a few weeks to make the transition to touch and it's not cheap. But it is nice.

I've been using the new PreSonus StudioLive III board for shows both the 16 and 32 fader versions. If you want "Tactile" total recall and moving faders the 16 is amazing. If the Raven did not exist I would be using a StudioLive III. It can work as a centerpiece to a studio that needs to be highly automated.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Klaus wrote:Yes, the mac app is announced since some time……………………………………………………….. :mrgreen:

Klaus
So there *IS* a Mac app is what you're saying?

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Klaus wrote:No, I meant announced
https://support.iconproaudio.com/hc/en- ... Platform-M
Best
Klaus
Ahh thanks! Sorry, I misunderstood.

Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Yeah, I'm a little disappointed in the failure to release the Mac version of the editing software. You can get at the functions without it, but it's a PITA, and the one function you CAN'T get at without it firmware updates. I'm still taking them at their word that a Mac version will come eventually.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Blazing Cactus

Post by Blazing Cactus »

I just got the Presonus Fader 8 and I am having a very difficult time having it connect up with DP. Can anyone shed some light on a remedy?
waxman

Post by waxman »

Blazing Cactus wrote:I just got the Presonus Fader 8 and I am having a very difficult time having it connect up with DP. Can anyone shed some light on a remedy?
PreSonus is NOT supporting Digital Performer. They have their own DAW Studio One. They say it has "TIGHT" integration with Studio One. For whatever reason they are not interested in tight integration with DP.

The fix will be to look at what codes the specialized buttons are sending. Then much like quick keys change those in the preferences in DP. The rest is Mackie Protocol which is compatible.

Send it back and get a Raven for $300 bucks more. The Raven is specifically DP compatible. The batch command is amazing. I am not missing faders and knobs. Virtual everything is the destination.

Good luck.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
dbender

Post by dbender »

waxman wrote:
Blazing Cactus wrote:I just got the Presonus Fader 8 and I am having a very difficult time having it connect up with DP. Can anyone shed some light on a remedy?

The fix will be to look at what codes the specialized buttons are sending.

How can you tell what codes the buttons are outputting?

I just ordered a FaderPort 8 fr JRRshop at an amazing price ($370 inc. tax + free shipping). I had been eyeing the Behringer X Touch but this was too good a price to pass up. I was going to hold off on getting the FaderPort 8 and get the new 16 channel version that costs $1k, but again, this was too good a price to pass up. I'm thinking that with the saved bread I could put that to a Raven later on, then I'd have touch via Raven (plus all its other features) and also have at least 8 real faders with the FaderPort 8.

Since the FaderPort 8 is using Mackie protocol, I'm thinking it'd run fine with DP, and that all that'd need to be done is to figure out what codes each of the buttons are outputting then change DP's command bindings. But like I asked at the beginning of this post, how does one find out what codes the buttons are outputting? I'm brainstorming it but can't sus it out.
iMac 3.0 GHz, 8 GHz ram, OS 10.6.4, MOTU 828 Mk II, MOTU MIDI Express-XT (x2), KRK Rokit 6's, Novation Remote Zero SL, Radikal SAC-2k, Triton rack maxed out, Matrix 1000, Handsonic HPD-15 drum pads, tons 'o VI's.....
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

waxman wrote:Send it back and get a Raven for $300 bucks more. The Raven is specifically DP compatible. The batch command is amazing. I am not missing faders and knobs. Virtual everything is the destination.
Oh, did they get that software fixed? Because my Raven was little more than a nuisance with DP. I'm just glad I was able to sell it for what I paid.
Jim Bordner

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

dbender wrote:How can you tell what codes the buttons are outputting?
Try this: Open DP's COMMANDS window, click in the assignment box for the command you'd like to address with a controller button and push that button. In addition to revealing the button's output, you just assigned it to a DP command.
dbender

Post by dbender »

HCMarkus wrote:
Try this: Open DP's COMMANDS window, click in the assignment box for the command you'd like to address with a controller button and push that button. In addition to revealing the button's output, you just assigned it to a DP command.

Yes, of course, thanks!!
iMac 3.0 GHz, 8 GHz ram, OS 10.6.4, MOTU 828 Mk II, MOTU MIDI Express-XT (x2), KRK Rokit 6's, Novation Remote Zero SL, Radikal SAC-2k, Triton rack maxed out, Matrix 1000, Handsonic HPD-15 drum pads, tons 'o VI's.....
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

dbender wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:

Yes, of course, thanks!!
Good advice.
Everybody needs this free app at some point IMHO:
https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce