Wanting a solid control surface for DP 9.5

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dhelpling
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Wanting a solid control surface for DP 9.5

Post by dhelpling »

I would love any advice from users who actually own and use a control surface with DP9. Something small form-factor and of a quality build - money doesn't matter if it works (not touch-screen). Must have high-end faders, well-placed transport controls and a clean layout. I love the concept and design of the Softube Console 1 MKII and may get one of those in addition to an actual control surface if they would work well together. Avid Artist Mix & Waves Platform M look nice... Thank you in advance!
dbender

Re: Wanting a solid control surface for DP 9.5

Post by dbender »

I'm eyeing a Behringer X-Touch. So especially interested hearing from people who have used that.
iMac 3.0 GHz, 8 GHz ram, OS 10.6.4, MOTU 828 Mk II, MOTU MIDI Express-XT (x2), KRK Rokit 6's, Novation Remote Zero SL, Radikal SAC-2k, Triton rack maxed out, Matrix 1000, Handsonic HPD-15 drum pads, tons 'o VI's.....
dhelpling

Post by dhelpling »

Does DP 9 speak EUCON? If so, is it solid and reliable? the Avid S3 looks wonderful - https://vintageking.com/avid-s3-control-surface
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I'm using an Icon (not Waves) Platform-M and love it. Everything you need, nothing you don't, the lowest priced motorized-fader CS on the market. Solid build with a (mostly) metal case and good touch-sensitive faders. Tried three other control surfaces before settling on this, and it's a perfect fit for my desktop and my workflow.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
dhelpling

Post by dhelpling »

Thanks for the response Jim! Do you use the LCD display with yours? What is with the WAVES branded version I am seeing currently for sale online? Also, how do you know what 8 channels you are controlling at any given time? Cheers!
dhelpling

Post by dhelpling »

Regarding EUCON support and the Avid S3, MOTU replied with this:

"As I'm sure you can imagine, it's hard for all DAW manufacturers to announce full support across all control surface manufacturers. However, DP fully supports EuCon protocol so your board should work relatively well. We've done a fair share of testing with these S3 boards in the past, and from what I can remember they work pretty well from personal experience."

Sounds hopeful to me - any other opinions here?
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

dhelpling wrote:Thanks for the response Jim! Do you use the LCD display with yours? What is with the WAVES branded version I am seeing currently for sale online? Also, how do you know what 8 channels you are controlling at any given time? Cheers!
It's easy... when you use it and hit the bank control, the DP Mixing Board collapses down to 8 channels, and switches to the next 8 with each press of the Bank button. I have 2 displays and keep the mixing board on the left display, with the Platform-M right under it.

I don't use the LCD and have no idea what's up with the Waves-branded version.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Gravity Jim wrote:when you use it and hit the bank control, the DP Mixing Board collapses down to 8 channels
My BCF2000 does this but not always. Have you found any preferences or settings (in DP) that turn this on and off?

(BTW, the BCF is actually lower priced than the Icon, but as they say, there's a reason for that)
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

bayswater wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:when you use it and hit the bank control, the DP Mixing Board collapses down to 8 channels
My BCF2000 does this but not always. Have you found any preferences or settings (in DP) that turn this on and off?

(BTW, the BCF is actually lower priced than the Icon, but as they say, there's a reason for that)
No, I haven't. It did it when I plugged it in and always has. I have noticed that the mixing board has to have focus for it to work.

BTW, The BCF2000 has apparently been discontinued.
Jim Bordner

terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Gravity Jim wrote:BTW, The BCF2000 has apparently been discontinued.
I bought the last one at Sweetwater a few months ago...

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Yes, Jim, you're right, the major distributors are listing it as discontinued including Sweetwater. I've seen them in local stores so thought they were still available. Amazon still has stock, as do some music store chains. I guess Mr B wants us to all move on to their new doodad.

I see they are going for about twice what I paid for mine, so there isn't much price advantage even if you can find one.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

The PreSonus FaderPort works fine. I got the single fader, which is all I need, but assume the 8-channel version would work just as well.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

+1 on the Icon Platform M
You can edit most with WIN software
They have now a D2 display. that fits vertically ...
( the previous display isn't quite the same size as the fader spacing of the faderbox )
PS
see my sig, I'm using them live
Best
Klaus
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Klaus wrote:+1 on the Icon Platform M
You can edit most with WIN software
They have now a D2 display. that fits vertically ...
( the previous display isn't quite the same size as the fader spacing of the faderbox )
PS
see my sig, I'm using them live
Best
Klaus
Cool news. I may just buy a display if it lines up with the Platform-M (the old one lines up with the faders on the sidecar version, with no Master fader or transport controls).

But using them live would not cause me any consternation. It's been that reliable.
Jim Bordner

hamburski
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by hamburski »

Gravity Jim, this looks like exactly what I've been hunting for. How hard was it to set it up to work with DP?