Wanting a solid control surface for DP 9.5

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
kgdrum
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Wanting a solid control surface for DP 9.5

Post by kgdrum »

This controller stuff is a bit over my head.
Am I assuming correctly that you can control cc's for vi's with any of these controllers easily?
Do you need dedicated controller software to make assignments?
I'm thinking about Kontakt based Orch VI's like Spitfire Chamber Strings etc.....

Thanks
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Hi,

After reading this thread I decided to retire my long in tooth Baby Hui get a platform M+. I've been working with it for a few days and it seems great so far. I'm using it with the Mackie control drivers. Since DP isn't officially supported I haven't been able to find any documentation about the control implementation. I'm especially wanting to manipulate the sends with the rotary controllers. I have been able to figure out that if you press the read and write buttons in combo with the "sel" buttons you can toggle automation reading and recording which is nice.

If anyone wants to share any insights or tricks they've learned I'd be very interested. Maybe we could start a new thread?

Happy Holidays
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
rumo

Post by rumo »

I tested a number of DAW controllers (Icon QCon Lite, Icon Platform M+, Korg nanoKontrol Studio, Zoom, PreSonus Faderport).

The Icon Platform M+ worked okay (with exception of the Scrub wheel) but was to big for my desk and I don’t need that many faders. I ended up buying a used PreSonus Faderport which works fine with DP9.51 and has all I need in a small form factor. The only thing missing is a (working) scrub wheel for me.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

pencilina wrote:Hi,

After reading this thread I decided to retire my long in tooth Baby Hui get a platform M+. I've been working with it for a few days and it seems great so far. I'm using it with the Mackie control drivers. Since DP isn't officially supported I haven't been able to find any documentation about the control implementation. I'm especially wanting to manipulate the sends with the rotary controllers. I have been able to figure out that if you press the read and write buttons in combo with the "sel" buttons you can toggle automation reading and recording which is nice.

If anyone wants to share any insights or tricks they've learned I'd be very interested. Maybe we could start a new thread?

Happy Holidays
Iconpro has windows editor software, that shows the MIDI data ( and can edit most )
DP has a learn function, I think but I never tried that...
Maybe someone can chime in
Best
Klaus
towerproductions

Post by towerproductions »

I'm still using my Mackie MCU pro and expander with DP 9.5 . It has a Dp template overlay , 16 faders and a master fader, so it does everything for my needs when mixing and tracking .

Craig
DP11.1, Mac Pro 3.33 / 12-core, 96GB RAM, Mac OS 10.14.6
2 MOTU 2408 mk3s Black Lion mod, , UA Apollo Quad, UAD 2 Octo PCIe,
a bunch of EW Play,Opus, Spitfire, Sine,UVI, Kontakt Komplete Ultimate, VE Pro 7, Falcon, DSP Quattro, AmpliTube 5,and way too many others.
mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys »

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but once you specify a control surface in DP's control surface setup, you can no longer recognize and use any other MIDI data from that device? Trying my best to incorporate a Behringer X Touch One with the Mackie Universal mode (not HUI) and it's limited features and usability for DP would go away if I could assign the incoming MIDI from the buttons in the Commands window. It shows up and shows incoming MIDI in the MIDI Monitor but the Commands window won't recognize it's MIDI. MIDI input from other keyboards works just fine for the Commands window.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Does the Euphonix MC Control work worth a darn with DP 9.5 these days? And older unit just popped up on my local CL. It's the Euphonix branded one... not Avid.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
eyeteeth

Post by eyeteeth »

Resurrecting this old thread... Presonus now has a Public Beta for the Studiolive III series for HUI and MCU. I am watching this VERY closely. The idea of a 32 channel control surface AND Mic Pre/Converters for the price of just MCU controllers has me really anxious.
http://www.undergroundstudios.com

---------------------------------------------
MacBook Pro, i7, 16GB Ram, DP 9.52, WaveArts, UAD Apollo MKII Quad, Presonus StudioLive 16III
seedylee
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by seedylee »

Any word on compatibility with the Behringer X-Touch? It looks like what I need, but I can't find much info on its compatibility with 9.5 specifically.

The other option I'm looking at is the icon Qcon Pro, but they have their fair share of critics too.
cojoncio

Post by cojoncio »

I'm also looking for a decent and small control surface to replace my Mackie Universal Pro, wich doesn't work on DP 9 and works very erratic in DP 10.
Behringer X-TOUCH ONE seems to be problematic, with half of the buttons not working.

But looking around I've found this thing which DOES support DP (as they say) and seems what I've been looking for.
Not out yet. I'll be shipped around summer 2019, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70JjKyyJjYg
Mac Studio Ultra 128 RAM-Ventura
Hackintosh i9-128 RAM-NVMe and SSD drives-Monterey
PC i9-256 RAM-NVMe and SSD drives-Windows 10

828es-828-mk2-ADA8000
VEP7, some nice libraries and some nice hardware synths
seedylee

Post by seedylee »

Regarding the Behringer X-Touch One, I can confirm it does work reasonably well with Digital Performer, with some caveats.

Firstly, the buttons need to be reassigned on the X-Touch one itself in order to make them work as per the intended function in Digital Performer. The issue isn't with the XT1, rather, it's that DP has its own overlay for the original Mackie MCU which assigns different functions. The way I worked around that was to open up a PDF displaying the layout of the original Mackie MCU, and a PDF of the original DP lexan layout for the Mackie MCU, and adjust the assignments on the X-Touch one as necesarry. After working through this, all of the X-Touch buttons work fine (where they were supported by Digital Performer, not all of them are).

The other issue I've had on DP10 specifically is with the jog wheel not working properly. It works better on DP9. but DP10 (in theory) should bring about the ability to move by bars and measures. This would be a welcome improvement, except it doesn't seem to work properly with the jog wheel yet.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

seedylee wrote:Regarding the Behringer X-Touch One, I can confirm it does work reasonably well with Digital Performer, with some caveats.

Firstly, the buttons need to be reassigned on the X-Touch one itself in order to make them work as per the intended function in Digital Performer. The issue isn't with the XT1, rather, it's that DP has its own overlay for the original Mackie MCU which assigns different functions. The way I worked around that was to open up a PDF displaying the layout of the original Mackie MCU, and a PDF of the original DP lexan layout for the Mackie MCU, and adjust the assignments on the X-Touch one as necesarry. After working through this, all of the X-Touch buttons work fine (where they were supported by Digital Performer, not all of them are).

The other issue I've had on DP10 specifically is with the jog wheel not working properly. It works better on DP9. but DP10 (in theory) should bring about the ability to move by bars and measures. This would be a welcome improvement, except it doesn't seem to work properly with the jog wheel yet.
I have a picture of that original layout here:
https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewto ... CU#p560162

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
seedylee

Post by seedylee »

The Behringer X-Touch works pretty well in DP 9.5 in Mackie Control mode, with a few caveats.

Firstly, you need to remap several of the controls on the X-Touch so that the printed functions match DP 9. This is because Digital Performer itself had different mappings on the original Mackie Control for which they had no overlay, and also because the X-Touch doesn't have the complete set of MCU buttons. This is pretty easy to do, but requires having a copy of the original Mackie Control layout and a copy of the DP overlay for cross-reference.

Secondly, many functions in DP have been designed to display information across the full width of the Mackie Control screen, whereas the X-Touch only displays one channel at the time. This means that sometimes snippets of words are displayed on the bottom line.

Finally, the X-Touch jog wheel doesn't work with DP10. Not sure if this is specific to the X-Touch or whether it's a bug with the Mackie driver in DP10. I have raised a techlink.

Does anyone know of a good way to use a Mackie control surface to move the playhead accurately by beats/bars to set punch in and punch out points? Ideally I want to be in a position where I don't have to use the computer at all for basic sequencing and recording.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I'm using an Icon Platform-M controller, and the jog wheel works with DP10. Not as smoothly as I might like, but it does jog by one-measure increments, as described above.

The rest of the sliders and knobs work flawlessly.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
seedylee

Post by seedylee »

The Mackie Control protocol for the jog wheel is very simple, so most MCU compatible controllers should behave similarly with DP.

The issues I've had seem to depend on certain combinations of the global "Wiper Snaps to Grid" in Preferences, and individual grid snap settings in various windows. For example, it works better in the Sequence View with snapping turned off than it does in Track View.

One issue I've had, even with the right combination of settings to get the jog wheel mostly working, is that if I use the jog wheel to scroll to the beginning of the song, and keep scrolling "beyond the beginning" (i.e. counterclockwise), the jog wheel often stops responding until the sequence is played. From memory this happens more in Track View.

Are you able to test this on your system with your Icon controller?

I'm positive it's not a matter of different brands of controller, however I'm not unconvinced that it's not something to do with various preferences on my system invoking an edge-case bug.

Either way - frustrating. I've never had much luck with any control surface on any DAW. How I wish that standalone hardware DAWs with integrated control surfaces and near-zero-latency digital mixers would make a comeback ...