Wanting a solid control surface for DP 9.5

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Wanting a solid control surface for DP 9.5

Post by Gravity Jim »

hamburski wrote:Gravity Jim, this looks like exactly what I've been hunting for. How hard was it to set it up to work with DP?
Plug and play. You can set the unit for one of several DAWs (DP not included, natch) or for basic Mackie HUI implementation, which I did, and I haven't fooled with it since.

I could probably squeeze a bit more functionality out of it if I chose, but it already does all I asked of it (channel faders, master fader, pan pots, transport controls).
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
hamburski
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by hamburski »

No kidding. That sounds promising. I saw a demonstration on Youtube (with Logic or one of the other supported DAWs) where you could use dedicated buttons to expand or collapse the size of your tracks, or of your waveforms. Have you accessed that function too? Plug and play for basic functions, at that price, would still make me pretty happy; just curious.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I haven't done any of that stuff. My reflexes to reach for the trackpad for that stuff is so completely ingrained that I haven't bothered. There are a pair of "Zoom" buttons (Up/Down - East/West) just above the jog wheel, but I haven't bothered to program them.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
hamburski

Post by hamburski »

Got it. Thanks for the lowdown!
hamburski

Post by hamburski »

Hey Jim - test-driving the Platform M now and it was indeed pretty plug-and-play, at least so far as getting DP to see the faders and transport controls. But I've got no automation on the faders yet. The mac just added it to my audio MIDI controls upon restart, and then I went into Setup/Control Surface Setup in DP and chose Mackie Control and the first input and output port. Did you get under the hood any other way to get the automation happening?

Update: My bad, I was running the Platform on bus power only; you need to have the power supply plugged in for it to have enough juice to motorize the faders. Solved!

Still want to see if I can configure the Zoom buttons somehow...
Last edited by hamburski on Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

What about the Behringer X-Touch? I know a guy using that and it seems to work okay.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Gravity Jim wrote:I haven't done any of that stuff. My reflexes to reach for the trackpad for that stuff is so completely ingrained that I haven't bothered. There are a pair of "Zoom" buttons (Up/Down - East/West) just above the jog wheel, but I haven't bothered to program them.
Can you tweak plug-in parameters with it? How do you program various buttons? Or do they just transmit certain keystrokes and you use DP's commands window to assign an action to that keystroke?

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

I recently got 2 Platform M for my live rigs ( see my sign. )
I programed buttons, but AFAIK not every control can be programed , i.e. not the
pair of "Zoom" buttons (Up/Down - East/West)
most Behringer's stuff - remote / edit - lacks features or isn't finished yet,
( as is other newer software, I work with their older remote software )
Best
Klaus
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

Can the Icon Platform-M control MOTU's cue mix as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
----------------------------------
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
waxman

Post by waxman »

dhelpling wrote:I would love any advice from users who actually own and use a control surface with DP9. Something small form-factor and of a quality build - money doesn't matter if it works (not touch-screen).
What is the reason for not wanting a touch screen? Thanks...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'm guessing tactile feedback? Real faders and pots?

Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

zandurian wrote:Can the Icon Platform-M control MOTU's cue mix as well?
Curious about this, as well...
iMac 20,1 10-core, 3.6Ghz, OS10.15.7, 128GB RAM, DP 10.13, VEP7
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

James Steele wrote:I'm guessing tactile feedback? Real faders and pots?
Roger that.

Man, I dropped the ball on this thread... it's been a little crazy since the wildfires.

I don't know about CueMix. I don't use it, so I have no idea. But I really liked James's idea... if a specific fader, knob or button isn't doing what you want, let DP translate it into something you do want.

I tried 4 control surfaces including the Icon, and found that I couldn't really predict very well how it would work for me... I just made sure I could return or exchange whatever I bought (I sold the Raven for a little more than I paid, thanks to the early fever). The Platform-M is the one I kept. Perfect for me, maybe not for you. Try one for a couple weeks, and if you hate it, send it back.
Jim Bordner

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I have a question on the Platform M (and the Platform X expander):
If you're using the Platform M with the expander, and you use the bank buttons, does the DP mixer window collapse to SIXTEEN faders instead of eight, reflecting how many physical faders you have?

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

One more Platform M question... no template for DP is available. In setting up, did you use another DAW's template to start or do a complete custom setup in the controller's app? Thanks Jim!