How to mix directly to mp3 ?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Klaus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to mix directly to mp3 ?

Post by Klaus »

AFAIK DP 7.24 can't do a bounce to mp3 directly…
Is it possible at all ( maybe with another app ) ?
I need to do very rough mixes of recordings that are several hours…each
Thanks for hints
and
best regards

Klaus
stubbsonic

Re: How to mix directly to mp3 ?

Post by stubbsonic »

Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack can "listen" to DP while you play back a mix and record in realtime to mp3. Very configurable, useful for other stuff, too.

But that's realtime, so not helpful in your case.

I'd suggest doing the bounce in DP then export from DP using the LAME lib. If you don't know what that is, search for LAME mp3 in this forum.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

iTunes works great for conversion to MP3. Set up preferred conversion format & quality in iTunes Preferences>General "Import Settings."

My workflow is drag & drop master from DP to Mac Desktop, then drag & drop into iTunes and convert to MP3 (File Menu>Convert). After conversion to MP3, I discard the WAV master from iTunes to avoid clutter and keep the MP3 there for reference.

iTunes has, for some time, allowed direct drag & drop into an email if you need to send a reference to a client.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Thanks a lot for replies !
and best regards
Klaus
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

…Hmmhhmmm…
It seems I can bounce to mp3 ( lame ) directly from the bounce dialog…
Maybe it will bounce first to WAV and then convert ?
Anyways, sorry for the BW
and
best regards

Klaus
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I'm so set in my ways. I still use LAME for mp3. Variable bit rate, of course. If you can get beyond installation of the LAME codec, it's an awfully easy and high quality way to go. Other things use the LAME codec, too, if it's present, so it's not a bad thing to have. Just old, now. iTunes is probably the best way to do it, but I don't like opening iTunes while working, so I don't use it. I've bounced direct to mp3 recently, without any trouble, but it was a simple audio mix, not any MIDI or instruments.

Normally I record my mix to a stereo track, then I bounce THAT track to mp3. If you do that, be sure not to run the output of that track through any existing Aux tracks; you might get double reverb, compression, EQ or limiting if it goes through your main summation aux. Just assign that track directly to the Main Out.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Klaus wrote:…Hmmhhmmm…
It seems I can bounce to mp3 ( lame ) directly from the bounce dialog…
Maybe it will bounce first to WAV and then convert ?
Klaus
I wondered if it would show up as an option. I have LAME installed and it shows up for export. I NEVER use Bounce-to-disk in my workflow, so when I checked to day it wasn't in my available format options pop-up (DP8).

But if it is, you're golden.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I've been bouncing to mp3 from DP for many years using LAME. Is there some reason not to use LAME? ...Speculating and answering my own question... I guess if you need metadata embedded then iTunes or something like DSP Quattro is a better tool.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

DP 8.2 (I think) did away with the need for LAME. If you have it installed, it will still use it.

Different versions of the LAME protocol sounded differently and some were much better than others. I’m remembering that I preferred 3.98 over 3.99. I’d have to look in some old threads to remember where I got the version I used and how I installed it.

I do remember that installing and setting up was different in 8 than 7 plus, installing it in 8 messed up your 7 installation.

Having moved on, I no longer bother with it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro