Is there a DP plugin for this kind of distortion?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Tomas E
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Is there a DP plugin for this kind of distortion?

Post by Tomas E »

I would like my Les Paul Studio to sound like in this youtube video, (starting at about 57 secs). Is there a DP-plugin that will do the job?

https://youtu.be/6Tsd96kXDn0?t=57
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Is there a DP plugin for this kind of distortion?

Post by mikehalloran »

Amp and pedal simulation is what you want. DP has a number of each. Hard to believe something isn't going to do it for you.

http://motu.com/products/software/dp/plug-ins.html
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

mikehalloran wrote:Amp and pedal simulation is what you want. DP has a number of each. Hard to believe something isn't going to do it for you.

http://motu.com/products/software/dp/plug-ins.html
Ok, thanks. You don't happen to have a specific combination of settings and so on? It takes a lot of tweaking and experimenting to get it right. My knowledge doesn't extend very far beyond the basics in this matter. I've mostly used the "that'll do" stuff. I wanna get into "expert mode". :mrgreen:
magicd
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by magicd »

I checked out the Youtube vid. It's a fairly standard distortion sound for a a solid body (double coil pickups) electric guitar.

To get this sound from the guitar into DP I'd use the Multi-Fuzz and Live Room G plug-ins. You could add in the Custom '59 plug (before Live Room G) for additional tone.

Dave
Tomas E

Post by Tomas E »

magicd wrote:I checked out the Youtube vid. It's a fairly standard distortion sound for a a solid body (double coil pickups) electric guitar.

To get this sound from the guitar into DP I'd use the Multi-Fuzz and Live Room G plug-ins. You could add in the Custom '59 plug (before Live Room G) for additional tone.

Dave
Much obliged! I'll try it out.