Move All Takes In A Track At Once?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Move All Takes In A Track At Once?

Post by Babz »

I have a track with 13 takes. They were recorded at bar 30, but I need them to line up with bar 200.

Is there a way to move all the takes in the track at once, or do I need to bring each take to the front and move them one by one?

Thx,
Babz

JUST AS I WAS ABOUT TO POST... I think I just answered my own question.

1. Turn Takes to Tracks. Highlight the tracks.
2. Shift->To Time or Marker (Enter Bar 200)
3. Goto Bar 200 and use Absorb Selected Tracks.
4. Bang. Done. Cool.

I guess I'll go ahead and post this, just in case.... Anybody know of a BETTER (faster, less steps) way?
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Move All Takes In A Track At Once?

Post by mikehalloran »

Selecting from the top down (click-drag) highlights the entire selection and you can move them at once, similar to Shift-click in most applications (Shift-click works but isn't as fast). If you have edit points, you may have to reduce the display size so that you can grab them all. If none, then simply passing over will highlight the entire track or group.

Selecting from the bottom up will highlight to the left or right and you can create an edit point.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I hope MOTU fixes this and thinks about how to solve the Takes problem. It's so clumsy and annoying to do any tempo manipulations if you have takes you need to move with the timeline, as it SHOULD.
Oh, same with Folders.
Again, a very simple general preference would make it all more elegant, and every user would be delighted.

I forget the number of times I've ruined all takes in all tracks because, since they do not move together with everything else, when it comes to snipping and general Conductor Track manipulation, DP must be the dumbest DAW of them all.
In all other aspects DP is amazing, but Conductor Track/Snipping/Pasting/Takes it's horrible.

Who has the time or desire to Explode all takes in all tracks just to move it all one beat ahead in the TimeLine? :shake:

I don't think MOTU is even aware of the issue (it's been years), so I see no time when this will be fixed at all :unicorn: :smash:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

FMiguelez wrote:I hope MOTU fixes this and thinks about how to solve the Takes problem. It's so clumsy and annoying to do any tempo manipulations if you have takes you need to move with the timeline, as it SHOULD.
Oh, same with Folders.
Again, a very simple general preference would make it all more elegant, and every user would be delighted.

I forget the number of times I've ruined all takes in all tracks because, since they do not move together with everything else, when it comes to snipping and general Conductor Track manipulation, DP must be the dumbest DAW of them all.
In all other aspects DP is amazing, but Conductor Track/Snipping/Pasting/Takes it's horrible.

Who has the time or desire to Explode all takes in all tracks just to move it all one beat ahead in the TimeLine? :shake:

I don't think MOTU is even aware of the issue (it's been years), so I see no time when this will be fixed at all :unicorn: :smash:
I actually didn't find it that difficult. How would you like to see it work? What would be a better way? Is there some DAW that does it better? How does it work there?
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Babz wrote:
I actually didn't find it that difficult. How would you like to see it work? What would be a better way? Is there some DAW that does it better? How does it work there?
Imagine having a project with dozens of audio tracks with many takes each. Some takes are just scratch ideas, others have very important alternate versions, etc. And you're scoring it for film or TV... and you need to keep mangling with the Conductor track to conform to video hits that the director keeps changing...

Your template is huge. You have hundreds of other tracks too... Do you feel that exploding takes, selecting everything (hoping you didn't forget to select everything), moving, and imploding takes EVERY TIME you make a CT adjustment is an effective use of your time? Do you not see how this is a workflow and inspiration killer?
And that is even if you know about it. But imagine discovering that none of your takes match the timeline anymore because 2 weeks ago you snipped and moved stuff around... and you have to recreate and re-accomodate everything...

Maybe not so bad if you do it a couple of times in a modest-sized project, but this quickly becomes ridiculous if you need to keep doing it, like I described.

I really do not see the logic of leaving all takes behind with no warning. I mean, the Conductor Track is the master that rules it all... Except for takes.

Again, a simple general preference would make it much smarter and keep everyone happy! ALL Takes need to move with the rest of the stuff without even thinking about it.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

There needs to be a switch — in plain view — that says simply:
  • "Edit All Takes <| > Edit Only Visible Take"

That's really getting annoying. It would be nice if it also picked up the whole stack of takes when copying/pasting/duplicating/deleting a track; same deal, the switch.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Shooshie wrote:There needs to be a switch — in plain view — that says simply:

That's really getting annoying. It would be nice if it also picked up the whole stack of takes when copying/pasting/duplicating/deleting a track; same deal, the switch.

Shoosh
Yes! That too, please!!!!

Takes should always be available for ANY relevant operation, including Clippings and tracks in the Song Window.

Oh, and while they're at it, do the same for Folders. How is stuff inside closed folders to behave?

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I barely understand DP's folders. :banghead:

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Shooshie wrote:There needs to be a switch — in plain view — that says simply:

Shoosh
Totally agree. Even on simple projects it's a PITA. I can't imagine a large movie score project. It does need to be selectable but 95% of the time I want edits to affect all underlying takes and tracks inside folders too. Even with a simple pop song it often happens to cut out 4 bars here or there or one chorus instead instead of two, etc. Then you go to comp something and you have a real mess to deal with.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Lucky_Luke

Post by Lucky_Luke »

Project -> Conductor Track -> Insert Measures

Everything moves...including takes :D
2.66 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 8 GB RAM
Metric Halo Mobile I/O 2882+DSP D2 modified & Mobile I/O ULN2
MOTU DP9.5 & MachFive 3
Apple Logic Pro X
Avid Pro Tools 10
Audio Ease Altiverb 7, Speakerphone 2, Nautilus Bundle, BarbaBatch 4
Metric Halo SpectraFooX complete
Universal Audio UAD-2 PCIe
Soundtoys complete bundle
PSP Vintage WarmerX & Lexicon PSP42
Antares Autotune 7 & Harmony EFX 1.05
Spectrasonic Stylus RMX
Native Instruments Reaktor 5
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Lucky_Luke wrote:Project -> Conductor Track -> Insert Measures

It's one of those moments. :oops:
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Lucky_Luke wrote:Project -> Conductor Track -> Insert Measures

Fookin' brilliant! Bravo!
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Lucky Luke FTW

:woohoo:
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Tested the concept out today. Easy-Peezy and 100% effective. Thanks again Luke!
waxman

Post by waxman »

Wasn't Babz asking to do just one track with 13 takes? The Conductor track moves everything right? Can you make it do just one track with the Conductor track insert measures method?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.