Move All Takes In A Track At Once?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Move All Takes In A Track At Once?

Post by HCMarkus »

waxman wrote:Wasn't Babz asking to do just one track with 13 takes? The Conductor track moves everything right? Can you make it do just one track with the Conductor track insert measures method?
If its just one track, show takes, move, then hide takes. Don't think the Conductor Track approach will work here. A preference would still help, but when dealing with a single track, the issue is less problematic.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I think there are some design principles here that you don't necessarily want to ignore, or work around with a preference.

First, everything does what the conductor tracks says.

The other principle in an edit command don't usually affect things you hide.

I think the problem is most of us think of takes as a part of the track, while DP treats them as just tracks that get displayed in a folder. Making takes integral to tracks would solve the problem, but would it create other problems when the track is edited?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
waxman

Post by waxman »

HCMarkus wrote:
waxman wrote:Wasn't Babz asking to do just one track with 13 takes? The Conductor track moves everything right? Can you make it do just one track with the Conductor track insert measures method?
If its just one track, show takes, move, then hide takes. Don't think the Conductor Track approach will work here. A preference would still help, but when dealing with a single track, the issue is less problematic.
I've never had a need to do that. :) Guess it would be good for writing the music once it's recorded. As soon I can I make comps. Once takes are comp'ed (Vocals, gtr, bass, keys etc... I make a new version of the song with just the comp track and flush unused soundbites. I like having only the needed tracks in the project. I like keeping as small a project file as possible. When I get 100 plus track projects I start comping everything. I like committing sooner than later. If its a disaster I can always go back to a previous project version do a new comp... never had to do that.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Re-Arranging does happen Waxman... that said, I haven't run into this as a major issue, especially when working on music that isn't synched to picture. OTOH, I just had the opportunity to use the Conductor Track "Add Measures" approach on a pop tune with a client, and it made the task really easy. Next scoring gig I get will offer the chance to use this tool more fully.