First Try with the new Time Stretch/Compress Algorithm

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

First Try with the new Time Stretch/Compress Algorithm

Post by buzzsmith »

Today was the first chance that I had to use the new time stretch/compress algorithm within 9.5.

The song is still in demo stage so I didn't want to go lay down another piano track as, I'm sure, there will be more changes.

The original demo was at 82 bpm and we decided to bump it up to 90. All is MIDI except for the acoustic grand piano.

My trusty iPhone calculator showed, to achieve the correct time compression would be 82/90 which equaled 0.9111111.

So, I highlighted the 2 piano tracks and applied Scale Time to .911 %.
Suprisingly, worked very, very well! [MULTIPLE MUSICAL NOTES]

I should also mention that I'm still on 10.8.5.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

David Polich

Re: First Try with the new Time Stretch/Compress Algorithm

Post by David Polich »

Yesterday was my "first time" with it. For anyone
as dense as me who thought you need to
highlight soundbites and then apply Pitch
Quantize from the Studio drop-down menu..
no need. You just go into the sequence window
for the track, select "Pitch" as the lane you want to
view, then select the soundbites you want to move
and move them. The default setting for pitch is
ZTX (the new process).

I also tried out the new time-stretching on drum tracks
and vocals recorded at a different tempo (using the
"Adjust Soundbites to Sequence Tempo" command).
Really impressive results, as were the results with
pitch shifting.

There seems to be a new process in time-stretching.
If you select "Adjust Sequence to Soundbite Tempo"
you get a message saying DP will compute the tempo
based on "Average" (what it sees as the soundbite's
average tempo) or it will compute the tempo exactly if
you switch to Conductor mode from Tempo slider
mode. I dont recall seeing this dialog box before.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Shooshie

Re: First Try with the new Time Stretch/Compress Algorithm

Post by Shooshie »

There's a little shortcut I use that saves a lot of time. In the COMMANDS window, I looked up Pitch and found "Quantize Pitch." I assigned a key command to that. I use "Q", but you might want something that's a little less easy. I take that chance for the convenience.

When you select any part of a soundbite, just tap Q and whatever was in it has been quantized. It's not a hard quantize that eliminates vibrato or anything, but it sure helps get something in tune when you're just trying to get-er-done.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|