iOS 11 - End of the line for DP Control?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

iOS 11 - End of the line for DP Control?

Post by Babz »

There's been much talk about the long-neglected DP Control app for iPhone/iPad, which hasn't seen an update in years. But now we have a development which may finally spell the end of the line.

iOS 11 just hit today, which requires 64-bit apps only. DP Control is a 32-bit app and will not work with the new iOS update unless MOTU updates it to 64-bit. Just an FYI. If you're considering updating to iOS 11, be prepared to leave DP Control behind.
Last edited by Babz on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: iOS 11 - End of the line for DP Control?

Post by James Steele »

It's truly unfortunate. I got DP Control working the other day on my iPad 2 and even my iPhone 6s Plus, linked to a MacBook running DP 9.5 on Yosemite. Actually all the transport controls worked and most of it functioned except DP Control would force quit if you tried to activate the Mixer page. Also trying to Save with DP Control didn't work.

I have enough functionality though I think to be able to use to conduct rehearsals since I'm using backing tracks and if we're going to go back and work on an intro to a chorus or whatever, I need to be able to locate easily within a sequence and start and stop playback. I really hope MOTU gets it fully 100% working again. It was an amazing tool when it was first released.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
thenystranger

Post by thenystranger »

Is there any 3rd party company that will do what DP Control did? I updated to DP 9.5 ~ OS X El Capitan and need basic control of recordings. I could care less about the bells & whistles. I called MOTU support today after receiving an e-mail from Dave Roberts that stated "MOTU has not announced any current plans to update the DP Control app."

They recommended V-Control or METAGRID. Do either of these work on an iPhone 5s?

I need something very soon. Any help is very much so appreciated and thank you in advance! Have a great day!
Regards,
Geo
Mac 8 Core 2.26 ~ 48 GB tricked - out RAM - D.P. 7.24 - & OSX 10.5.8 & OS9 Multi-Booting Multiple systems UNISYN - MOTU 2408 Mk3 - 3 MTP/AV 24X24 - Yamaha 01V - Kurzweil's K2000R/S - GR-50/U220/VG-8 - 88 - 99 & Tons of synths & Mac's SCSI storage Sample & synth libraries. EZ Drummer Superior Drummer - EZKeys Yamaha O2R/96 - Euphonix MC Control
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

thenystranger wrote:Is there any 3rd party company that will do what DP Control did?
I like this app very much:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/daw-con ... ?ls=1&mt=8

The interface can be tweaked:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=60593&p=524276&hil ... ol#p524276
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
waxman

Post by waxman »

James Steele wrote:It's truly unfortunate. I got DP Control working the other day on my iPad 2 and even my iPhone 6s Plus, linked to a MacBook running DP 9.5 on Yosemite. Actually all the transport controls worked and most of it functioned except DP Control would force quit if you tried to activate the Mixer page. Also trying to Save with DP Control didn't work.

I have enough functionality though I think to be able to use to conduct rehearsals since I'm using backing tracks and if we're going to go back and work on an intro to a chorus or whatever, I need to be able to locate easily within a sequence and start and stop playback. I really hope MOTU gets it fully 100% working again. It was an amazing tool when it was first released.
This will get you around for what you want to do in rehearsals
https://satechi.net/products/satechi-bl ... gLWgvD_BwE

waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I really dug DP Control.

I've bought, tried and rejected just about every DAW-control app for iPad there is (at free to $15.00 range, it wasn't that hard to just buy and try them all), but none of them had that deep specific integration with DP.

The Mackie/HUI emulators really are too quirky for me and I found them unhelpful.

Avid's Eucon-emulator app was interesting but too buggy to use it reliably with DP.

I do use Touch-OSC for key-switching, but not for DP faders, etc.

I wish MOTU would update / bring back DP Control.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
DPLUVA76

Post by DPLUVA76 »

So i found my old ipod 1st gen and surprisingly it still worked, i downloaded DP Control on it and all the functions still work. Nice, but where is the actual cut off because i tried looking for it in the app store on an ipad 2 that stops at 9.35 and its not even in the app store anymore on there, but still shows up in the app store on the ipod....
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

DPLUVA76 wrote:So i found my old ipod 1st gen and surprisingly it still worked, i downloaded DP Control on it and all the functions still work. Nice, but where is the actual cut off because i tried looking for it in the app store on an ipad 2 that stops at 9.35 and its not even in the app store anymore on there, but still shows up in the app store on the ipod....
Go to Purchased on your iPad. It depends on your version of iOs where you will find it. You should see every app you;ve ever bought through the App Store on your account. Some versions, you'll have to click on a tab Not On This iPad or something similar. Now see if you can still download.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stublito

Post by stublito »

Anyone who still wants to use DP control, it still works up to 10.14 (AFAIK) I still depend on it for live gigging. I just don't understand why MOTU or the developer doesn't update it and turn it into a paid app.

The 2 best devices to use for DP Control are iPhone 4 and original iPad Mini. The batteries are easy to replace in these devices and you can get 4 hours of wifi (a whole gig) out of either (well perhaps a little recharge on the iPhone 4 during breaks.)

Replacing the battery on the iPhone 4, you just need to unscrew stuff. The Mini you will need to heat the front glass (and use a pry tool) but after that it's all screws.

To transfer the app to a newly purchased iOS device, see here: https://lifehacker.com/what-do-i-do-whe ... -f-5977636

If you need a copy of the IPA file, you can PM me or reply to this post, I'll check it weekly.

Stublito
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Thanks for that post. Good to know. I bet original iPad Minis can be gotten cheap these days.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!