What Mac to replace old Mac Pro?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What Mac to replace old Mac Pro?

Post by HCMarkus »

frankf wrote:The 6,1 has been great for me and is a great option and should not be dismissed out of hand.
Agreed.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Please no for sale posts on this forum. Thanks.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I recently bought a 2012 12 core 3.46 with 64 GB RAM for $2K. That's the last of the cheesegrater models. You have to be careful because some are 2009 that have been flashed from 4,1 to 5,1 and are being misrepresented on ebay and elsewhere. Nothing wrong with 2009 but you should get what you're paying for. Buying this machine let me use my UA cards and MOTU PCIe card > 24io (or any other PCIe cards) with no adapters and I also have plenty of space for drives and easy access to swap them etc. Also no adapters needed to run my backup external Firewire drives. I paid extra but I didn't have to mess with CPU upgrades etc- it was plug-and-play and the newer video card was better spec'd.

Good luck!
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce