Change a melody into one note

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
faonfaon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Change a melody into one note

Post by faonfaon »

Hi,

I would like to change all the notes of a melody into one note (the same).
My melody is one track.
I copy this melody to a second track but same channel and then change it into one note.
Why ?
For my keyswitches. I will then have, let's say as many Co as the notes of the melody.
Then I will only have to change from C0 to C#0 or D0 and then delete all the notes I don't need.
And last step, I will shift all the keyswitches of 30 ticks to the left (before the notes of the melody).
This process is one I want to try to change keyswitches.
Before, I let the melody playing in a slow tempo and record them.
But this method makes me nervous.
Other ideas ?

Thanks
Mac mini 32 GB Ram - OS X Monterey 12.4 - Digital Performer 11.2 - Apollo Twin - VSL - Ivory II - Drumcore 4 - Appassionata Strings - Synful - Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 - Vienna Mir Pro - Special Edition - Konzerthaus Orgel - Pianoteq 7 - Chamber Strings - Solo Strings - Symphonic Choirs - Pettinhouse Guitars - Notion 6 - BBC Symphony Orchestra Pro from Spitfire Audio
FMiguelez

Re: Change a melody into one note

Post by FMiguelez »

I'm not sure I understand what you want to do.

If you want to make all (or some) notes the same note, then go to the MIDI editor, click on its mini-menu, and there's an option there called "MIDI edit". Make sure it's checked. Then select the desired notes and play on your keyboard the note you want to turn them all into.
Then make sure to uncheck the MIDI Edit item from the menu.

BTW, IIRC, all notes will also get the velocity that you strike the note with. This may or may not turn out to be a bummer.

As for moving by x amount of ticks, you can use the Shift command for maximum precision.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
faonfaon

Post by faonfaon »

Thanks Miguelez !
I will try tomorrow but am pretty sure it's exactly what I need !
And I will save much time doing that way !
Thanks again !
Mac mini 32 GB Ram - OS X Monterey 12.4 - Digital Performer 11.2 - Apollo Twin - VSL - Ivory II - Drumcore 4 - Appassionata Strings - Synful - Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 - Vienna Mir Pro - Special Edition - Konzerthaus Orgel - Pianoteq 7 - Chamber Strings - Solo Strings - Symphonic Choirs - Pettinhouse Guitars - Notion 6 - BBC Symphony Orchestra Pro from Spitfire Audio
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Re: velocity.... Use the region command on the selected note and select CHANGE VELOCITY. The. SET from th drop down and enter the value you want.

I also thing this is a convoluted way to deal with key switching but who knows? Maybe you'll end up with a Pulitzer in MIDI music as a result. Please let us know how you plan works out. While I don't embrace your method, I like the way you think. :headbang:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

FMiguelez wrote: If you want to make all (or some) notes the same note, then go to the MIDI editor, click on its mini-menu, and there's an option there called "MIDI edit". Make sure it's checked. Then select the desired notes and play on your keyboard the note you want to turn them all into.
BTW, I had no idea this function existed. I don't know if/how I might use this going forward. But I'll try to store it in my meat memory.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

stubbsonic wrote:
FMiguelez wrote: If you want to make all (or some) notes the same note, then go to the MIDI editor, click on its mini-menu, and there's an option there called "MIDI edit". Make sure it's checked. Then select the desired notes and play on your keyboard the note you want to turn them all into.
BTW, I had no idea this function existed. I don't know if/how I might use this going forward. But I'll try to store it in my meat memory.
It's a pretty neat feature when you need it. I've used it, forgotten it, used it, forgotten it, etc. at least a dozen cycles. There are lots of features in DP like that. After a few years of not needing them, you forget they are there. Then you ask for help, someone points you to it, and you remember "discovering" it in, like, version 1 and now you feel really dumb. But that's just the way it is in a big app like this. Every so often, I go down every menu and dialog and ask myself if I know what this is. It helps keep things in memory. I need to do that right now, in fact. It's been a couple years.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Holy cow, that never occurred to me!

I sometimes -- yet rarely -- have this need as well, so I perfectly understood the OP's question as a result.

This is often how I start to create keyswitch tracks for my Vienna Instruments, once I am at that final stage of finessing a song that includes VSL material.

I keep that stuff on a separate track, initially have a keyswitch per-note until I am happy with final articulation choices, and generally give about 6 ticks of lead on the keyswitch vs. the note that it goes with.

Once that is all completed, I may or may not clean up redundant keyswitches when several notes in a row use the same articulation.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Re: velocity.... Use the region command on the selected note and select CHANGE VELOCITY. The. SET from th drop down and enter the value you want.
Or right click :D
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
faonfaon

Post by faonfaon »

I tried the function that FMiguelez suggested me and it really works fine.
It is exactly what I needed to use keyswitches. :dance:
Here is the way I work.
I copy the exact melody in a second track and give all the notes the note C0 (which is my first KS).
I delete all the other notes that don't need a ks change.
Then I take time to change the KS from C0 to D0 (let's say). And it works fine without any nervosity.
I talk about nervosity because before I used to work like that.
I let the melody playing and recorded the KS in real time in a second track. But even if I slowed down the tempo, very often I taped a KS too late and had to record again. And second when you have some sixteen notes that need some changes inside to them it is very hard.
But I would really like to know the way you work with keyswitches.
Thanks !
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Normally, I play the keyswithces as I record the melody, when it's easy to play.
For more involved stuff, what I do, and what I think is the fastest, is to simply option-drag near-by existing Keyswitches to copy them and place them as needed (especially if they also use note and velocity value for firing stuff). I know them all by heart (C0 for shortest notes, C# for short notes, etc), so doing this is very fast.

The only time I've used the suggested MIDI Edit command to turn all notes the same, is to be able to use the hardware MIDI-loop trick to use the Record Beats function automatically (instead of manually). It works particularly good with constant rhythmic sections, i.e., long 16th notes passages.
stubbsonic wrote:
Ha! It's one of those tricks that I forget and remember like once a year. I have to re-rembember it every time I do the MIDI-loop trick :)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman