DP Users should hold off on High Sierra (9/18/17)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP Users should hold off on High Sierra (9/18/17)

Post by James Steele »

I think this was important enough to make a new topic.

DP users might want to hold off on installing High Sierra. I wrote a contact of mine at MOTU about High Sierra and got this response:
Testing is still ongoing but it appears that there is an issue with the auth file getting deleted (this can happen when the computer is restarted) in 10.13. If this user doesn't regularly shut down the computer, they might not be seeing this. Users should update to the new OS at their own risk until we release an official statement.
Emphasis above is mine. So if it was me... I wouldn't do it until there's an official okay from MOTU. Or... unless I have a disc image of my boot drive and am prepared to restore. (And I don't know how the new disc formatting of the boot drives might affect this).
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
David Polich

Re: DP Users should hold off on High Sierra

Post by David Polich »

Thanks, James! Good to know. I had no plans to go to HS immediately anyway...I always wait
at least three to six months before upgrading to a new OS.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

David Polich wrote:Thanks, James! Good to know. I had no plans to go to HS immediately anyway...I always wait
at least three to six months before upgrading to a new OS.
And you are thus wise, David Polich. :D
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote:... Or... unless I have a disc image of my boot drive and am prepared to restore. (And I don't know how the new disc formatting of the boot drives might affect this).
Easy.

Have a recent Time Machine backup.

Turn Time Machine off before upgrading the OS.

Have an 8G USB drive formatted as a Sierra install drive. I can post instructions for doing it in Terminal again, the only way this should be done.

After upgrading to 10.13, make sure that Time Machine remains off till you know it’s going to work out.

If the 10.13 upgrade doesn’t work out...

Insert the USB Sierra installer thumb drive. Shut down your Mac.

Option-boot into the USB Sierra thumb drive

Run Disk Utility from the thumb drive and reformat your drive.

Run the Sierra installer

Restore your user settings, files and applications from Time Machine.

Reboot, reenable Time Machine.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

It is likely that High Sierra will break a lot of plugins.

HS finally carries through on the threat to remove the deprecated MacOS ComponentManager. Why do you care? Because CM is how a host gets a list of all the AudioUnits available on the system.

There's a new mechanism (of which I am not totally up to speed) but expect to get a LOT of emails about updating your plugs for HS over the next year because there have been a ton of problems with old plugs and the new mechanism. The CoreAudio list has had a few developers posting problems dealing with the transition.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

SixStringGeek wrote:It is likely that High Sierra will break a lot of plugins.

HS finally carries through on the threat to remove the deprecated MacOS ComponentManager. Why do you care? Because CM is how a host gets a list of all the AudioUnits available on the system.

There's a new mechanism (of which I am not totally up to speed) but expect to get a LOT of emails about updating your plugs for HS over the next year because there have been a ton of problems with old plugs and the new mechanism. The CoreAudio list has had a few developers posting problems dealing with the transition.
Really? I’ve not had problems except for older 32 bit plugs with a Carbon GUI. 32Lives has been the wrapper. OS 10.13 has dropped Carbon altogether. SoundRadix is saying that, if you are still using any of those, don’t go to High Sierra which makes sense. I don’t see how they’ll get around this.

If you have those plugs in an old project, you will still hear them but you will be unable to access the GUI (as it was before I bought 32Lives). I confirmed this today. In my case, I have replacement plugs and VIs if I have to revisit these old projects.

So 32Lives falls into the obsolete bin for me. Oh well, those plugs weren’t going to work at all once OS 10.14 arrives next year if Apple makes good on finally dropping 32 bit support, originally rumored to happen with Yosemite.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

SixStringGeek wrote:It is likely that High Sierra will break a lot of plugins....
I'm using Waves, Steven Slate, UAD2, Antares, Eiosis, Tonebridge and many other processing plugs, and VIs by NI, Spectrasonics, Plogue and a ton others I can't remember.

They all show up and operate fully under 10.13. So, if a bunch of devs are complaining about HS, then they are developing software I guess I'm not all that excited about or aware of.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

Well that's the buzz in the dev world.

I'm still installing software and swapping CD ROM's after total loss of all my SSD's.

Its not like I can try it but I'm staying on Sierra....probably for the life of the machine.

Also I just got an email from Korg about the legacy collection plugs having updates to deal with HS. So there's that.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

Back in the '90's, music tech guru Craig Anderton advised:

"..it's best to use 'trailing-edge technology".

Seems even more applicable to todays' scene!
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Finally, an OS release we can all reject. Lol
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

As an owner of a studio computer for which High Sierra will almost certainly be the last Apple-supported OS, I fully intend to take my Mac there once we get to a .2 or .3 release. Benefits of primary importance will likely be security-related.

Of course, if strange and undesirable High Sierra issues arise in the interim, I will keep the studio machine running Sierra.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

IF I can run Adobe CS 5 and 6, DP and Finale, I'll upgrade. All deal breakers for me.Word? Meh...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:IF I can run Adobe CS 5 and 6, DP and Finale, I'll upgrade. All deal breakers for me.Word? Meh...
Point taken.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

artfarm1 wrote:Back in the '90's, music tech guru Craig Anderton advised:

"..it's best to use 'trailing-edge technology".

Seems even more applicable to todays' scene!
That's pretty funny coming from a guy who was a early adopter of every tech, every software update, every new product category. And no, it wasn't just his job... he was that guy before became famous for it.

I never buy into this approach to the tools we use, and neither did Craig. You just have to be prepared to go back to the previous state of your start-up disk, and then do that if the update doesn't work.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Gravity Jim wrote:I never buy into this approach to the tools we use, and neither did Craig. You just have to be prepared to go back to the previous state of your start-up disk, and then do that if the update doesn't work.
I generally agree, but see no reason to rest my butt on the bleeding edge when my current setup is working great. Cowardly as it may be, I will allow you and others like you to beta test for me, please be assured with tremendous appreciation and respect!

If possible (i.e. respecting MLC's concerns about Adobe CS), it is clearly wise to stay at least current enough that security updates are still being provided by Apple.

The irksome thing is when an update seems to be working perfectly, and does so for a week until you go to use the one thing you forgot to test and it f's up. And you are back n troubleshooting mode.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31