DP Users should hold off on High Sierra (9/18/17)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP Users should hold off on High Sierra

Post by mikehalloran »

But having everything back-up via SuperDuper!
Yea, there are reasons why Apple never, ever recommends cloning.

If you had reinstalled Yosemite on the backup drive after cloning, it would be possible to restore Yosemite via directions I posted in another thread.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mocker

Post by mocker »

My 2 cents :
I've tested High Sierra on an external disk and DP9 runs fine along with my plugins : Soundtoys, Lexicon, Eventide… But I won't upgrade yet. Why ? Because I also use Ableton Live and unfortunately Max4Live - which I use a lot - is totally unusable as no intruments or effects will load. There is sort of a workaround that you can find on some discussion by adding a Frameworks folder to the app's Contents, but that doesn't work for some of the instruments/FX. So this time I'll have to wait.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'll probably hold off for a while since I rely on 32 Lives to keep my Liquid Mix going. Yes, believe it or not Liquid Mix still works today on Sierra using 32 Lives. Rather miraculous I know. Although really, it may be time to give it up in favor of Softube Console 1.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

I didn't see this mentioned but if you have a 2009 4,1 Mac Pro (which is not officially supported by High Sierra according to Apple), and you run the 5,1 Firmware, your 2009 Mac Pro will run High Sierra.

I tried it myself on one of my 2009 Mac Pros. If you know about the 5,1 Firmware Update then you probably know why it exists. Also note, the 4,1 that I ran the 5,1 FWU and High Sierra on has not been CPU swapped yet. It's still running the stock Nehalem CPUs. Not the Westmere CPUs.

However, it is utilizing the special 8GB and 16GB 1333MHz OWC RAM modules that allow these Mac Pros to use up to 128GBs of RAM. Please note, those modules are reported to run by the OS at 1066 MHz, not 1333 MHz even though they're sold as 1333 MHz modules. If you use the 2GB, 4GB or 8GB modules they will run at 1333 MHz, (but these can not be mixed with the 16GB modules). It's the 16GB modules that runs at 1066 MHz and they are incompatible with all OWC memory except the special 8GB modules. And even though the 16GB and 8GB modules are labeled as 1333 MHz modules, the OS reports them as 1066 modules. Make sense?

If anyone needs the link to the special 8GB RAM that ONLY works with the 16GB modules, let me know and I'll send it to you. OWC hides those 8GB modules so people won't buy them by accident.

Hope that helps. Took me awhile to get that straight after I was sent the wrong 8GB modules the first time.

Steve

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
mongoose

Post by mongoose »

Since (at least for me) the question never got definitively answered in this thread, I'll note that I have now tested it and yes, if you have NI B4 II running under 32 lives, it works fine in High Sierra. I have heard rumors that this is only the case if installed before upgrade, but I can't test that. No problems with the UI so far.

-m
Spankin' 2020 10-core iMac, 40GB, Catalina, DP 10, Ivory, B-5, M-Tron,
UAD-2, Wissner Artist Upright Grand, Tokai MAT Strat, P-Bass, and a bunch of other noisemakers.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mongoose wrote:Since (at least for me) the question never got definitively answered in this thread, I'll note that I have now tested it and yes, if you have NI B4 II running under 32 lives, it works fine in High Sierra. I have heard rumors that this is only the case if installed before upgrade, but I can't test that. No problems with the UI so far.
Somehow my B4II which had been working went back to unlicensed mode. I can't remember what caused it. It happened around the time I did a processor upgrade and turned my 8 core into a 12 core. Either way, B4II runs with 32 Lives but won't authorize anymore. Ugh.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mongoose

Post by mongoose »

James Steele wrote:Somehow my B4II which had been working went back to unlicensed mode. I can't remember what caused it. It happened around the time I did a processor upgrade and turned my 8 core into a 12 core. Either way, B4II runs with 32 Lives but won't authorize anymore. Ugh.
Ugh indeed. As the Bard might have said, yea verily dost that sucketh. Or something like that.

Does the install show up in your Native Access or whatever they’re calling their ControlBotOverlord(™) licensing manager these days? Maybe if you run the right combination of OS and version of their licensing program it will admit to letting it work again? I know at some point I had to update all that mess to keep B4II running, but TBH it’s been a while and I bought the plugin at least twice (first as a stand-alone and again in a Komplete bundle) so I’m not even sure which version is keeping the flame alive at this point.
Spankin' 2020 10-core iMac, 40GB, Catalina, DP 10, Ivory, B-5, M-Tron,
UAD-2, Wissner Artist Upright Grand, Tokai MAT Strat, P-Bass, and a bunch of other noisemakers.
zedboy

Post by zedboy »

I installed HS and things are working fine but DP has now been unauthorized on this computer and regardless of how many times I enter my keycode it runs in demo mode only. Is this a Preferences glitch?
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

zedboy wrote:I installed HS and things are working fine but DP has now been unauthorized on this computer and regardless of how many times I enter my keycode it runs in demo mode only. Is this a Preferences glitch?
I think the latest DP version doesn't have that problem. What version are you on?

zedboy

Post by zedboy »

I am on the latest version (9.52). Is there any fix for this? Or I could see if I have 9.51 in a Time Machine backup.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

zedboy wrote:I am on the latest version (9.52). Is there any fix for this? Or I could see if I have 9.51 in a Time Machine backup.
Odd. DP does deauthorize when you do the update, but once I entered the correct user and code info it authorized permanently, and I think this was the common experience. Probably good time to contact MOTU support.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

zedboy wrote:I am on the latest version (9.52). Is there any fix for this? Or I could see if I have 9.51 in a Time Machine backup.
That won’t fix the problem.

If it asks every time but lets you authorize, remove versions of DP before 9.13. You can also try a Safe Boot if on a Mac.

If it keeps reverting to Demo mode, the license server isn’t getting what it needs to authorize. You need to enter the information exactly as the license server expects to see it. This is your name, email address and serial number. Dashes instead of minus signs, BTW (that's the one that used to trip me up).

If you have a port blocker or are behind certai firewalls or VPN, you may have to disable temporarily.

If you don’t like 9.52, remove it, download and reinstall 9.51. This is unlikely to fix your problem with the license server.

If nothing works, contact MOTU to find out what you are doing wrong.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
waxman

Post by waxman »

what is the verdict? Is High Sierra still a no go? UAD, Slate eBundle, Waves, FabFilter, Sound Toys, Raven, Native Instrument Komplete and Arturia.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

waxman wrote:what is the verdict? Is High Sierra still a no go? UAD, Slate eBundle, Waves, FabFilter, Sound Toys, Raven, Native Instrument Komplete and Arturia.
I can't comment on the rest, but I am using HS with a UAD-2 Satellite and the latest software. No problems with it here.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

No issues with Komplete or the Spate plugs that I have.