Help with OS update

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Help with OS update

Post by Shooshie »

Tomrabbit wrote:"I don't want to boot the apps; just know if they are 32 bits.

Shoosh"

Shoosh: In System Information Utility ( was Sys Profiler B4? ) left column select Software>Applications. Let it load… Top window lists all Apps, etc. Far right column is 64 Bit. And shows a YES or NO for each App. Hope this helps. Just another one we forgot, I had to go looking too.
Bingo! I knew it was somewhere "familiar."

Thanks!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I couldn’t remember where it was either. Thanks!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I have finally decided to update. I have been parked at 10.10.5. But I am not getting proper performance out of 9.5 and when 9.5 runs out of gas, I have to finish mixes in 8.07.
So i want to try to update to see if it makes DP , dare I say, “snappier”?
That said, has Sierra, 10.12.6 been approved by MOTU? I read something about the newest OS not being approved yet by MOTU. But I don;t know if the “newest” is out yet or if that was a public beta.
Also, my stupid apple password got screwed up and apples recovery protocol makes you wait un undetermined amount of “days” till they send you a re set. They do this on purpose. Its quite ridiculous in many ways. So if I want to update my OS, will the app store let me without my personal apple password? The app store is showing Sierra, 10.12.6
Thanks guys
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The newest is 10.13 High Sierra but it won’t be released for another few days. There are issues with DP and the license server when you reboot. The word is don’t upgrade till MOTU gets that fixed.

Sierra is great.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote:The newest is 10.13 High Sierra but it won’t be released for another few days. There are issues with DP and the license server when you reboot. The word is don’t upgrade till MOTU gets that fixed.

Sierra is great.
+1
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

mikehalloran wrote:The newest is 10.13 High Sierra but it won’t be released for another few days. There are issues with DP and the license server when you reboot. The word is don’t upgrade till MOTU gets that fixed.

Sierra is great.
So if I update to Sierra, 10.12.6 before High Sierra, I am good?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I like Sierra. Your mileage may vary, but 12.6 is probably the last build for this OS.

Good idea to upgrade to Sierra now, before you lose the ability to do so, which will likely occur once High Sierra is released in 4 days. That way, you can enjoy the mature Sierra OS and move to High Sierra once we are a few builds in.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

toodamnhip wrote:

Sierra is great.
So if I update to Sierra, 10.12.6 before High Sierra, I am good?
Yes.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Office 2008 and 2011 work in High Sierra with APFS if already installed before upgrading the OS. 2008 doesn’t install after Yosemite.

Office 2011 will also install fresh.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9_mNYzzT2EQ
Depends on the age of the installer if it goes smoothly or if there are many steps (my installer is v.1 so I know all the steps).

Like all 32 bit apps, do not expect it to work in OS 10.14, expected to be 64 bit only when it arrives next year.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

This is pertinent:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/26/ma ... m-apple-id
An Apple support document on reinstalling apps confirms that the change to remove macOS Sierra and High Sierra from the Purchased tab was intentional.

"macOS Sierra or later doesn't appear in the Purchased tab," reads the document.

In the case of macOS Sierra, the change means that there's no way for Mac users to download macOS Sierra should they want to downgrade from High Sierra for some reason.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Sierra is fine, and compatible with DP (HS is not, as per MOTU communications), but I've got more dropouts with 9.5 than I got with 9.13 or earlier on Sierra. I've upped the buffer to 1024, something I never had to do with 9.02 or 8.07, and still get the occasional dropout. I'll be trying 2048, but hope for some sort of solution in updates, if not HS.

I tried 9.13 and 9.02 under Yosemite and compared CPU strain again Logic (DP was close, but Logic was still a bit more efficient), and thought that was a bit of a sweet spot. 9.5 and Sierra has resulted in more dropouts, although I can't say which contributes the most.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I would honestly suggest that you clean out your Mac, scrub your start-up drive and start over.

I'm running DP 9.5 under HS, and it's running like a Swiss watch (the only problem appears to be the Mac remembering the DP authorization info, which isn't a problem as far as I can tell). I ran the betas of HS, through the GM, and it's been working fine... no dropouts, no clicks-n-pops, no dumb crashes.

But, as I often say, I keep my studio computer lean and clean, and I rebuilt the system from a bare disc twice in the last year, just for maintenance purposes. I think this is why I have fewer problems with DP than many of the frequent contributors to MOTUNation.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Gravity Jim wrote:I would honestly suggest that you clean out your Mac, scrub your start-up drive and start over.

I'm running DP 9.5 under HS, and it's running like a Swiss watch (the only problem appears to be the Mac remembering the DP authorization info, which isn't a problem as far as I can tell). I ran the betas of HS, through the GM, and it's been working fine... no dropouts, no clicks-n-pops, no dumb crashes
First, I think we're talking about Sierra, not High Sierra. I did clean up things when I installed Sierra. I had to. I had installed El Cap and it turned my Mac into a lump of inert inorganic matter. I started with a newly erased disk and reinstalled everything.

Second, HS and DP 9.5 may be the perfect combo, but I'm not ready to install HS yet until I figure out how file and screen sharing with Macs on earlier versions works, and MOTU says it's OK. Their post today doesn't limit the problem to authorization -- it just says its incompatible, so there might be other problems lurking. I'm reminded of when Apple updated CoreAudio and forgot to tell the guys working on Logic X.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

[quote]Good idea to upgrade to Sierra now, before you lose the ability to do so, which will likely occur once High Sierra is released in 4 days. That way, you can enjoy the mature Sierra OS and move to High Sierra once we are a few builds in.[/quote]

That would have been an excellent idea, but I didn't do it.
My old notebook wouldn't let me download it and I kept forgetting to check on my desktop.

After all the trouble I went to to round up the last few OS's you'd think I'd learn.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You can still go back to Sierra but

a) you need to know someone who has the installer.
b) make certain that Time Machine hasn't allowed a HS backup or your Sierra Drive was cloned.
c) you must be able to boot your drive from a Sierra drive or repair partition—clones don't have repair partitions so, if you have one, it's a good idea to reinstall Sierra on it.

Basically, you need to run Disk Utility from Sierra, erase and reformat your target drive as HFS+, Install the older OS then migrate your data over.

If you get the installer file from another Mac, make certain it was zipped before moving it over. If not done, generally won't work.

I can't host it since the installer zip file is 5.02G and my Dropbox account is 3.0G. If you've set up an FTP server, I can transfer the zip file to you.

I have posted elsewhere how to make a bootable USB drive in Terminal. Since then, I have purchased some new USB 2 thumb drives that I could not make work — I formatted correctly (which Terminal also does as part of the process), Terminal created them properly going through all the steps but they would not boot. Re-trying older USB drives, all behaved properly. I got a refund but damned if I know what happened. Test first before relying on them by Option-boot and, if you see the installer screen, you're good (you can quit and reselect your startup drive).