One thing that drives me crazy.....

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MikeInBoston
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

One thing that drives me crazy.....

Post by MikeInBoston »

Hi everyone!

I'll have the pencil tool and I'm drawing in notes in the MIDI editor, and then I get a "quick" beach ball, and then the pencil tool turns into an arrow, but it can still draw in notes. To get the pencil cursor back, I click on the top of the MIDI editor window (why this works, I don't know). Over and over and over again. It's been like this forever. Why? I've got a fast Mac and I've still got RAM left. DP is not playing. It's just sitting there accepting one note at a time.

Anybody else with this "feature"? Any help would be much appreciated.

Mike
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: One thing that drives me crazy.....

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I can check this in a bit and don't draw MIDI notes often, but I'd start by checking my mouse/trackpad drivers if they are third party. Double tapped by the "p" key should make the pencil sticky (stay active) as with other tool selections.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MikeInBoston
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by MikeInBoston »

Hi Michael.

First of all, it's not the mouse or it's drivers. I'm using an Apple Magic Mouse. Secondly, it's not the computer. It happens on both my iMac and MacBook Pro, each with a different OS. Thirdly, I hit the "P" key twice to go into the pencil tool already. After I draw a few notes, it's as if DP has to think about it for a second (hence, the quick beach ball), and then it's "bye bye" to the pencil cursor. Actually, I think what happens is that the beach ball throws me out of the MIDI editor window, that's why clicking on the top of the window restores the pencil cursor. Go figure.

Thanks for the help.

Mike
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Any 3rd party macro apps possibly interfering?

How's tricks?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Any other BT devices paired to those Macs that you don't know about? It can happen accidentally. My iMac "sees" 6 devices but only one is paired.

I once had a similar issue that turned out to be a neighbor's BT mouse causing just enough interference to get in the way. Easily fixed once I knew...
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I don't think it's an external problem. I mean, I don't have a real clue, but I haven't noticed it being consistent with any external input. I get things like that, too, but more randomly.

When the cursor changes — and it does that for other reasons, too, I think — and does not go back, it can be irritating. But sometimes if you work a little it comes back. Sometimes tapping a key for another cursor, then letting go, will bring it back. I believe it's just poor coding that is not correcting for some exception. There's a lot of code in this thing.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|