DP 9.5 IS NOW UP!!! :)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Todzilla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP 9.5 is [not] up...

Post by Todzilla »

Very interested in learning how the Time Stretching and Pitch Shifting sounds!
-Todzilla
Huge sound generation & capture facilities
On the banks of the River Eno
DP 8!!!, OSX 10.7.3, 15" MacBook Pro w 16G RAM 256G SSD & 630GHD, MOTU 896HD, MX4, Komplete 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Neumann U-89, pair of Peluso P12s, Seventh Circle & Demeter preamps, Lava lamp, stuffed frog playing bongos
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by HCMarkus »

New features introduced in version 9.5
Version 9.5 introduces the following new features. For further information about these features, go to Digital Performer's Help menu > New Features in Digital Performer 9.
Effect Performance window — The new Effect Performance window (Studio menu) monitors the processing load of all currently instantiated virtual instruments and effects plug-ins. It can help you identify and manage plug- ins that impose high processing demands on your computer.
ZTXTM time-stretching and pitch-shifting technology — Digital Performer 9.5 introduces ZTX time-stretching and pitch-shifting technology developed by (and licensed from) Zynaptiq GmbH (zynaptiq.com). ZTX represents cutting edge, state-of-the-art audio time-stretching and pitch-shifting DSP technology developed and refined through years of advanced research and development by the renowned audio DSP engineering team at Zynaptiq.
Relative pitch editing — Relative pitch editing allows pitch to be offset by an interval, rather than an absolute pitch. This mode allows for pitch editing of any audio material, including polyphonic material.
In addition to the new features outlined above, version 9.5 also introduces the following enhancements:
• The scissors tool now snaps to grid (if enabled) when editing pitch layer bars.
• Fixed a problem where waveform overviews could endlessly recalculate (and never fill in).
• Fixed some issues with the Windows Audio driver.
• Fix a fade rendering bug that could cause a click on fade ins on soundbites with pitch processing.
• Made improvements to the appearance of certain themes.
• Added a preference for setting the default pitch shift (transpose) mode.
• Added ability to set pitch shift and time stretch mode with right-click. In any voice track and any layer, right clicking on a sound bite allows setting the attributes of that bite. If you hold down option all selected bites (on visible tracks) are set.
• Fixed a crash bug when editing pitch data.
• Fixed long standing issue with Sequence Editor contextual menus.
• Fixed a problem where soundbite volume could be incorrectly rendered after a fade.
• Fixed a problem where DP could freeze after a soundbite edge edit.

No mention of the CC64 bug; hopefully, this is not a complete list of fixes. Good to see the rendering bug addressed.

PS: Might want to fix that thread title again... I almost missed this with the "Not" present!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

cuttime wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Working fine here, but it crashes my time machine. :vomit:
Could you elaborate? I wasn't aware that TM could even crash.
Not TimeMachine, I meant this time machine...

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote:• Fixed a problem where DP could freeze after a soundbite edge edit.
Glad to see this one. It was starting to get in the way in 9.13.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Re: effects performance: When I bypass plugins, there is no effect on the processor load showing in this window. Am I missing something?
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

That's really great it came out today!
One thing I'm curious about is if the new improved time stretching will be applied to Beat Detection??? That's not mentioned but it should be easy enough to figure out whether it has or not as it would likely be able to be switched between new and old.

I won't be able to instal and check until later this evening, if anyone wants to poke around and see what's going on there that would be cool!
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The DP Control App manual is dated Sept 9 2017. The app store does not show a new version, but I downloaded it anyway and so far, it's working better than I remember before I abandoned it. Has something been fixed in DP itself? Am I hallucinating?

Maybe others can try it out?
Michael Canavan

bayswater wrote:Re: effects performance: When I bypass plugins, there is no effect on the processor load showing in this window. Am I missing something?
Resting power consumption from a plug in is an issue in general, bypass doesn't give CPU back completely, this is the big advantage of VST3 and I would assume Apple are or have implemented something similar in AU. To fully get CPU cycles back you have to disable the plug in, you can do that from its mixer track.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
cuttime wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Working fine here, but it crashes my time machine. :vomit:
Could you elaborate? I wasn't aware that TM could even crash.
Not TimeMachine, I meant this time machine...
Just in case...

After installing, I purged that 1.83G installer, rebooted and ran TM without incident. Hardly made a difference on the overall backup size. Nice!

Haven't played with 9.5 yet other than watching it load up my test file and play without incident. So far, so good.
:dance:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote:
bayswater wrote:Re: effects performance: When I bypass plugins, there is no effect on the processor load showing in this window. Am I missing something?
Resting power consumption from a plug in is an issue in general, bypass doesn't give CPU back completely, this is the big advantage of VST3 and I would assume Apple are or have implemented something similar in AU. To fully get CPU cycles back you have to disable the plug in, you can do that from its mixer track.
Maybe not completely but I'm seeing no effect at all.

BTW: Where do you see something other than bypass?

I see "Bypass: Temporarily disables the plug-in.", and Alt Click on insert bypasses a plugin (same as clicking on bypass in the effects window). Where is the disable/enable option for a plugin that does more than bypass?
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: DP 9.5 IS NOW UP!!! :)

Post by James Steele »

Before installing DP 9.5, make sure to rename the existing DP app, or it will be overwritten the the 9.5 installer. I changed mine to "Digital Performer 9.13".

The other thing to do immediately AFTER installing DP 9.5 is to do a "Get Info" in the app, and check the "Prevent App Nap" box. Any time you run a DP installer, the app defaults to this box being unchecked and App Nap enabled. This can cause all sorts off odd issues. Again, make sure to check "Prevent App Nap" after installing.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

bayswater wrote: Maybe not completely but I'm seeing no effect at all.

Sorry not near a computer right now, but the only place I know where you can disable a plug in or track is in the mixer window...
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Michael Canavan wrote:
bayswater wrote: Maybe not completely but I'm seeing no effect at all.

Sorry not near a computer right now, but the only place I know where you can disable a plug in or track is in the mixer window...
Disable track using round blue button in Tracks Window.
dix

Post by dix »

One really cool thing, that I don't think is documented, is that you can launch any plugin or VI in the sequence right from the Effects Performance window. Very handy!

I haven't done much work with the Effects Performance, of course, but it looks like it's going to be quite useful going forward.
Maybe not completely but I'm seeing no effect at all.
Hmm. I'm seeing noticeable changes when toggling Bypass on most plugins. Especially when the sequence is running and the effects are getting signal.
Last edited by dix on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

bayswater wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:• Fixed a problem where DP could freeze after a soundbite edge edit.
Glad to see this one. It was starting to get in the way in 9.13.
To my knowledge (and based on my personal experience), MOTU had actually fixed the edge edit crash issue in the last build of 9.13, which was not broadly announced.