DP 9.5 IS NOW UP!!! :)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9.5 IS NOW UP!!! :)

Post by Shooshie »

NeilBlack wrote:Dear Magic Dave & all, thanks so much for the new effect performance pane. I've so often had weird glitches and performance spikes always happening at exactly the same position in a song but for no obvious or easily identifiable reason.
My current project developed this annoyance and 1st thing opening 9.5 helped with was to immediately identify the cause - an instance of Slate Verbsuite Classics suddenly spiking to max at bar 43..
Brilliant!
I believe we've almost got our metering covered, now.
Bus - check
Track - check
I/O - check
Channel strip - check
Bundle - check
Audio performance - check
Plugin Performance - Check (thank you, MOTU)
MIDI Monitor - sort of... I use MIDI Monitor from Snoid.com to make up for it

Audio spectrum meters - comme si comme sa... If you only use the MOTU Masterworks EQ, you've got a half-windowed FFT meter, and that's a whole lot better than nothing. But something like Blue Cat Audio's FFT meters would be fantastic. Something with max, average, real time, freeze, and so forth, all color coded and customizable in the view would be perfect. I'm happy with Blue Cat; don't get me wrong. It's hard to beat. But if you really want to cover DP a critical technical requirement for any DAW, that is one that is still in need. When you're looking for that one little wave that's messing up your mix, this is what it takes. Unless, of course, you've got perfect pitch honed in for harmonics and exact frequency numbers. (maybe some savants out there?) I get close through relative pitch, frequency chart and a little logical thinking, but really, an FFT meter takes out all the guesswork. And it gets those things that are out of my hearing range. Maybe for a future update you could buy out Blue Cat! Or lease!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

e-snobben wrote:Saving while playing, is that really necessary? It takes only a few seconds. Although it's supposed to work I hesitate since it seems to be a good way to force a crash. If they for some reason is forced to remove that feature in the future it would be the last thing I would miss.
Likewise, I wouldn't worry if it was just happening while saving. But the chirping happens at other times, too.

I think mine is simply pitch transposition that breaks the camel's back. I'm just pushing it too hard. Those are the chirping spots for me, and that the only place I've heard it. I wasn't worried, anyway, because what I was doing, nobody should do with pitch transposition. It was an experiment. I created background vocal tracks out of the main vocal track, just dragging pitch bars to the notes I wanted. It was complicated music to begin with. Not only that, I was able to fix most of the chirping by dragging the little spikes back into the main pitch bars. Tedious, but doable.

So, I don't know if I'm hearing the same problem others are hearing. But I'll be on the lookout for it.

Shoosh

PS: it worked. The background vocals sounded great when given their proper place in the mix.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

NeilBlack wrote:Dear Magic Dave & all, thanks so much for the new effect performance pane. I've so often had weird glitches and performance spikes always happening at exactly the same position in a song but for no obvious or easily identifiable reason.
My current project developed this annoyance and 1st thing opening 9.5 helped with was to immediately identify the cause - an instance of Slate Verbsuite Classics suddenly spiking to max at bar 43..
Brilliant!
That confirms my experience with Slate VerbSuiteClassics in DP. Something is terribly wrong with VSC. See this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63907#p546183
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I've been gone for a while, off-the-grid in farming country, so don't have time to read what to me is a brand-new seven-page thread, but just want to say that when I launched DP 9.5 for the first time tonight, everything looked really crisp.

Maybe it's my imagination, but I think the waveform rendering in most of the views may be new and the sharpest ever, along with the fonts seeming to be vectorized and/or anti-aliased compared to before. Probably someone has mentioned this somewhere in those seven pages. :-)

I can hardly wait to try the Zynaptiq time and pitch shifting, as it is some of the best in the industry.

That's "all" that I saw listed as new in this posting, but I get the impression this update is a lot more than even that major new push forward.

And it was free! The last ".5" updates were all paid upgrades, as I recall.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Anyone got an out of memory message with the latest DP? I got it on 32Gb setup with a mildly complicated session. Maybe a plugin or something. I am on it with MOTU.
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

supersonic wrote:Anyone got an out of memory message with the latest DP? I got it on 32Gb setup with a mildly complicated session. Maybe a plugin or something. I am on it with MOTU.
And what say the Effect Performance window ?
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

The Effect Performance window - yes. Maybe my favorite new feature. It is really helpful.
And surprising - some plugins and VI's I thought were performance hogs are not, and some
that I thought used just a little CPU actually use way more than I imagined.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

e-snobben wrote:Saving while playing, is that really necessary? It takes only a few seconds. Although it's supposed to work I hesitate since it seems to be a good way to force a crash. If they for some reason is forced to remove that feature in the future it would be the last thing I would miss.
Not necessary, but if you have developed the habit of pressing CMD-S whenever there is a break in the workflow, it's unlikely you'll stop doing that because DP is in playback mode. I can live with a chirp.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Tomas E
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Tomas E »

The Pitch Automation sub-menu is still referred to as Audio Pitch Correction sub-menu in the User Guide. They are informed about it, seems as if they've forgotten to fix it (p. 595).
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

bayswater wrote:
Not necessary, but if you have developed the habit of pressing CMD-S whenever there is a break in the workflow, it's unlikely you'll stop doing that because DP is in playback mode. I can live with a chirp.
So can I. However, I do seem to be getting those chirps elsewhere during normal operation.
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

bayswater wrote:
And frankly, I prefer saving while playing to auto-save. I've never met an auto-save feature I've trusted and saving while playing and even recording as up to the current take in progress is saved as well.

It's all about workflow, well, once you have your craft down. :unicorn:

I did about 45 minutes of scoring in DP 9.5 in the past two days (MIDI only with full screen video on a 3rd monitor). Only one random crash. That's how DP always says 'hello' on my systems. LOL Really! All full rez QT movie exports were fine. Also, using mach5 ver 3 and True Keys pianos (American and Italian). Smoooooooth!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

supersonic wrote:
bayswater wrote:
So can I. However, I do seem to be getting those chirps elsewhere during normal operation.
I was too, but increased the buffer size and most of it went away.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Tomas E
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Tomas E »

Shooshie wrote: I created background vocal tracks out of the main vocal track, just dragging pitch bars to the notes I wanted.
PS: it worked. The background vocals sounded great when given their proper place in the mix.
What intervals are we talking about? As much as an octave?
RROY

Post by RROY »

"Chirps", otherwise known as glitches are not so great when you hit "Save" while a client is listening back and you have to explain that the program never did this until this update. I find it bothersome. Hard not to hit save when you are used to doing it as often as you liked. Time to let Motu know.
Mac Pro 2x2.4 quad core /24 gb ram/OS 10.13.6, Dp 10.13, MTP AV, /UAD 2, KOMPLETE 12, Stylus RMX, SD 3.0, EZ Drummer 3, A&H ZED R 16.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

RROY wrote:"Chirps", otherwise known as glitches are not so great when you hit "Save" while a client is listening back and you have to explain that the program never did this until this update. I find it bothersome. Hard not to hit save when you are used to doing it as often as you liked. Time to let Motu know.
MOTU does not recommend saving when the transport is in motion, so this can hardly be called a bug. If we're gonna break the rules, we can't really expect them to fix something that isn't technically broken.

That said, I also save while playing (and recording) but if I knew there would be a chip, and that it didn't make it to the recording, I'd simply tell the client that's the way things are. I suspect there are much larger fish to fry over at the software development office at MOTU.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS