DP 9.5 IS NOW UP!!! :)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Sean Kenny
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9.5 Time Stretching Bug

Post by Sean Kenny »

Found a bug when time manual stretching a vocal. Whilst there isn't a problem with actual stretch, the resultant file is at least 1dB quieter as a result.
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: DP 9.5 Time Stretching Bug

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Sean Kenny wrote:Found a bug when time manual stretching a vocal. Whilst there isn't a problem with actual stretch, the resultant file is at least 1dB quieter as a result.
Hmmm.. thanks. I'll keep an eye out for that one!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
KenNickels

Re: DP 9.5 IS NOW UP!!! :)

Post by KenNickels »

I look forward to using the poly-pitch functions. But for now ... The effect performance window is great, but is diminished by the constant shuffling of VI's as they vie for the top spot. It makes it hard to focus on a single VI over time.

Also, there is a bug in MIDI editing where right-clicking on selected data in the Sequence Window, and maybe others ... does not display the proper drop down menu, the most important MIDI editing dropdown window: qunatize, velocity, etc. I confirmed this by reverting to 9.13, which works fine.
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

KenNickels wrote:Also, there is a bug in MIDI editing where right-clicking on selected data in the Sequence Window, and maybe others ... does not display the proper drop down menu, the most important MIDI editing dropdown window: qunatize, velocity, etc. I confirmed this by reverting to 9.13, which works fine.
:shock: !! That's alarming. What exactly are you seeing? I don't do a lot of right clicking, use key commands where possible, but checking it out, I didn't see anything untoward. Tried opening a project in 9.5 and 9.13 and saw the same thing for MIDI and Audio in the Tracks and Sequence editors when right clicking.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dix

Post by dix »

I look forward to using the poly-pitch functions. But for now ... The effect performance window is great, but is diminished by the constant shuffling of VI's as they vie for the top spot. It makes it hard to focus on a single VI over time.
You can also view in alphabetical order or by Pre-Gen/Real-Time status by clicking at the top of the the appropriate column
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
KenNickels

Post by KenNickels »

dix wrote:
You can also view in alphabetical order or by Pre-Gen/Real-Time status by clicking at the top of the the appropriate column
Great. That occurred to me after I wrote the post.
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia
KenNickels

Post by KenNickels »

bayswater wrote:
KenNickels wrote:Also, there is a bug in MIDI editing where right-clicking on selected data in the Sequence Window, and maybe others ... does not display the proper drop down menu, the most important MIDI editing dropdown window: qunatize, velocity, etc. I confirmed this by reverting to 9.13, which works fine.
:shock: !! That's alarming. What exactly are you seeing? I don't do a lot of right clicking, use key commands where possible, but checking it out, I didn't see anything untoward. Tried opening a project in 9.5 and 9.13 and saw the same thing for MIDI and Audio in the Tracks and Sequence editors when right clicking.
I see the tracks window drop down window in the Sequence window. I don't know why you're not seeing it. You must first select some data, then right-click on it. You should see the menu with region commands like velocity, scale time, transpose, etc., what is normally in the main EDIT menu. I just went to 9.5 and tried it again. It's repeatable on my system.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

KenNickels wrote:
I see the tracks window drop down window in the Sequence window. I don't know why you're not seeing it. You must first select some data, then right-click on it. You should see the menu with region commands like velocity, scale time, transpose, etc., what is normally in the main EDIT menu. I just went to 9.5 and tried it again. It's repeatable on my system.
I'm seeing this as well. Could it be related to "• Fixed long standing issue with Sequence Editor contextual menus." (from the 9.5 Read me).?

I'm assuming that there may be a convenient solution that I haven't found yet.

**EDIT** Things seem to function as usual in the MIDI editor. I can only assume this is intended behavior, but I'm not sure why.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
toodamnhip

DP 9.5 Tests and findings.

Post by toodamnhip »

DP 9.5 Tests and findings.

OSx 10.10.5
12 core mid 2010 Mac Pro
24 gig Ram

ZTX Standard Best,

Brand new file, load 1 stereo track.

**Nice that a major update like this was not charged for-Thanks MOTU>

**From a #4th interval sharped (raised) on upward, DP playback glitches terribly. Seems like “Standard Best” mode above a #4 overwhelms a 12 core Mac Pro with only 1 file.

**The opposite is not true. If I lower pitch, I can go as low as I wish without glitches. Strange.

**Sound quality below that is very good, impressive improvement over old DP pitch algorithms.

**Highlighting relative tuning bar and “deleting” fails to erase all pitch maneuvers like it does in DPs old pitch windows. They should make these GUI actions consistent and make it that if I swipe across all relative pitch bar data, and delete, it goes back to no pitch. Inconsistent programming unless there’s a reason for this I do not understand.

** Drawing a pitch curve with the pencil sounds great. But the graphics are in error, with the relative pitch bar unaffected, (just a straight line without the pitch curve I made with the pencil).. I hear the pitch follow the pencil maneuvers, but the graphics show no sign of it . Strange. If I highlight over the penciled pitch section, I still see none of the penciled pitch data. If I hit “delete” , it does erase the penciled pitch data. Seems like the graphics are broken. I wonder if this is an issue with being in 10.10.5? Hmm.

** Made a cut in the relative bar. In jeeping with the strange graphics performance, I cannot get rid of the cut now. “Heal separation” and other normal commands to remove a cut in pitch indicators does not work.

** Relative pitch bar segments don’t move in ratio properly. I had snipped the relative bar into various pieces. When I highlight them all and drag them all up or down, they moved up and down weird, in different amounts.

**Without reading a manual, tried to speed up stereo track 5 bpm using “Scale tempos” command. It didn’t work. I am sure I will eventually figure out how to speed up tempo by exact amounts, but it is a bit unintuitive that “scale tempos” didn’t work. I think that’s where most people would start attempting an exact tempo increase of a track.

**OK, I watched DP tutorials and it appears that the way to speed up a files tempo by precise BPM is to speed up the conductor track by some bp amount and then tell DP to adjust the audio files to sequence tempo. This may work in many scenarios, but I think we really need to be able to tell a piece of audio to speed up by BPMs DIRECTLY. Maybe I dont want to change the whole sequence tempo to speed up an individual file 3 bpm? Unless I find a way to make the other tempo command in regions menus work, this needs to be improved. Izotope RX had the ska problem for a long time, and I bugged them until they finally added a “bpm” features on top of the % feature they had before. On a positive note, it is really great not to have to leave DP to speed up tracks. The quality seems good enough now.I will have to compare RX to DP sometime soon.

** One last thing about tempo: In future updates, it would be nice to have a “relative tempo” bar one could manipulate just like they do with pitch. One could draw in tempo increases etc. You can do that now, but need to do a multi step process and edit your entire conductor track, which again, may NOT be something one wants to do in certain settings.

** The speed up quality is good. I will not have to use iZotope RX for this anymore, happy!

**So it looks like standard vocal pitch shifting does not get an improvement in its algorithms in this update? I thought I had read something about a new vocal pitch improvement? Guess not, maybe wishful thinking. It would have been nice to see this great new technology incorporated for solo vocals. I suppose one could be slick about using relative mode on any big. Problematic,individual out of tune note to see if there is an improvement. I wonder if there are degrees of pitch available in the new algorithms, or if it’s 1/2 steps only? I use standard all the time and have for years. I am actually a fan of DPs vocal pitch capabilities, and I have all the others. It is so darn efficient and easy to use, with great GUI features. But on crucial notes,especially larger intervals, DP standard algorithms leave something to be desired on solo vocals. Maybe a future update will incorporate the new pitch in solo vocal mode too?

** DP 9.5 compared to 9.02 and 8.07

Automation- I had found before , that once a mix got large in DP 9, I had to go back to DP 8.07 to get accurate automation playback. I am happy to say that initial tests show 9.5 played back all automation perfectly. So, if nothing changes, whatever bug my system had with automation playback on large files, seems handled…but we’ll see.

Looping-
9.5 seems to be looping fine, which is how I work on large mixes. However, changing looping points results in a playback stutter still. In DP 8 and up to 9.02, no such stutter occurs when adjusting loop points. I figure something about the new pre gen makes changing loop points less smooth. I can live with the momentary glitch in changing loop points if all else stays stable with 9.5

Overall-
I am impressed over all.’
**Biggest issues:- no ability to directly speed or slow an audio file by bpm without multi step process involving conductor track. (If anyone out there knows how, using region commands for example, let me know).
**Graphics on my system don’t show properly in relative mode, (I am wonder if updating to the latest OS might fix this?
**Processor hog over #4 interval in high quality mode.
** I will next test time and pitch versus izotope RX and see if DP can finally be free of the need for outside software for such. I am hopeful.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

The effect window is quite informative in ways I didn't expect. One of the first things I noticed was that UA plugs are using just (or almost) as much CPU as native plugs when I have 12 cores of UAD cards installed. I thought that was the whole point of the cards. Maybe I'm missing something. Surely DP isn't listing the UA card performance in the Effect performance window, or I sure wouldn't think so anyway.

This will be very helpful especially when you have that 'one glitch' in a song and you don't know the culprit - the 'Time Of Max' column will be invaluable. I wish I had a deeper understanding of the pre-gen realtime thing. I get it on the surface but not enough to make total sense in actual use.

:woohoo: MOTU
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks for that detailed report, TDH.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
dix

Post by dix »

philbrown wrote:The effect window is quite informative in ways I didn't expect. One of the first things I noticed was that UA plugs are using just (or almost) as much CPU as native plugs when I have 12 cores of UAD cards installed. I thought that was the whole point of the cards. Maybe I'm missing something. Surely DP isn't listing the UA card performance in the Effect performance window, or I sure wouldn't think so anyway.
I noticed this too. UA plugins are taking much more CPU than I thought they were. One would think the hit would be nominal. Maybe if the UA plugins were native they'd be major CPU hogs and the UAD card just make them behave as an average AU might? Dunno. ...anyway, this might be more of a question for the UA forum.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Toodamhip, The SOLO Vocal mode is to be found in the menu above the soundbite name, ON the soundbite. Each soundbite can use a different mode, apparently. I don't know if there is a global control. Maybe hold down the W while accessing the menu, or the T for selected soundbites. I haven't tried that.

I've done 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 6ths and 8vas, with few artifacts, but as I worked I started getting cumulative artifacts. I was able to erase the pitch changes with the old methods, and start again. Not sure why that didn't work for you. The worst artifacts occurred on fall offs, appoggiaturas, non-pitched sounds, etc.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Shooshie wrote:Toodamhip, The SOLO Vocal mode is to be found in the menu above the soundbite name, ON the soundbite. Each soundbite can use a different mode, apparently. I don't know if there is a global control. Maybe hold down the W while accessing the menu, or the T for selected soundbites. I haven't tried that.

I've done 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 6ths and 8vas, with few artifacts, but as I worked I started getting cumulative artifacts. I was able to erase the pitch changes with the old methods, and start again. Not sure why that didn't work for you. The worst artifacts occurred on fall offs, appoggiaturas, non-pitched sounds, etc.

Shooshie
Have you found a way to dictate directly into a sound bite, a tempo change in BPM? I do not want to have to change the conductor track and thereafter tell a soundbite to change to conductor track? I want to be able to use the region commands such as “Scale Tempos”. If I have to edge drag a soundbite to speed up 2 bpm etc, it’s not accurate enough. And going through the via of adjusting the conductor track and having the sound bite follow is not always possible. I know one can directly speed the soundbite by % without using the conductor track. But I haven;t been able to find a way to tell a sound bite to speed up by 2 bpm etc
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Perhaps people should post the ZTX quality settings before reporting artifacts. Processing time is important. I wish there was a processing indicator. At first I had problems with soundbites not playing before I realized that the processing was still ongoing. I realized that the colors of the waveform change when complete. So far I’ve only tried the default quality settings and the results have been excellent.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31