Modarrt releases version 6 of Pianoteq

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Modarrt releases version 6 of Pianoteq

Post by David Polich »

Pianoteq 6 has just been released. For those
unfamiliar with it, Pianoteq 6 is a physically
modeled (no samples) acoustic grand piano.
Not only does it model acoustic grands, it also
models electric pianos, clavinets, harpsichord,
bells,vibraphone, steel drums, marimbas, toy pianos
and plucked harp.

Those who own and use Pianoteq will be happy to
know that version 6 is a game-changing improvement
in sound. All instrument models have been
updated and the difference between this version
and the previous version is stunning.

I am on the Pianoteq beta test team so I've had
Pianoteq 6 for a couple of months, but of course
have not been able to post about it until now.
It really does sound loads more realistic now.
I'd pretty much retired all my sampled pianos
with version 5 of Pianoteq..now with version 6
I have no reason whatsoever to use a sampled
acoustic piano again. Ever.

If you are a registered Pianoteq user, the upgrade
is a reasonable $39.

More info and audio demos are at the Pianoteq
website. A free downloadable demo is
also available:

http://www.pianoteq.com
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Kurt Cowling

Re: Modarrt releases version 6 of Pianoteq

Post by Kurt Cowling »

Great news! Thanks for posting this. I'm excited to update.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

That's awesome news! I'm a big fan of Pianoteq (Pro). I use it more than any other VI, because even just for reference while arranging, I just want a nice instrument to play. It's the most musically satisfying digital instrument I use. It's also one of the most versatile- in terms of the ability tweak it well beyond the realms of a normal piano. Plus, it plays different scale/tuning systems, and has a versatile MIDI control setup.

You said it uses no samples, and I think that is mostly right, but I seem to recall that some samples are used for the percussive parts of the sound that are separated from the string/tine vibrations & other related DSP. They are a pretty pronounced part of the sound in the upper octaves.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The intro video says that it will be ARM compatible for linux and said that it would be compatible with a Raspberry Pi 3 board... ?!

Um, that would be so cool if you could have a Pianoteq pro running on an RPi3! So you could play this on a gig, and if your computer locks up, bust out your RPi and get back to it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Thanks for posting, David. Wouldn't have known otherwise. Surprised they aren't emailing the announcement.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

Got an email this morning from them.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I just updated to Pianoteq 6 and now DP8 crashes when launching.

It does produce a report, which I "sent to apple".

I have some work to do, so maybe I'll re-start, repair permissions? re-install DP? Will report back.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Ok, I got it working again.

I repaired permissions (it did some stuff, but it wasn't clear there were any problems).

I restarted-- but it hung during restart, so I had to hard reset.

I uninstalled Pianoteq 5 and Pianoteq 6.

I removed some DP prefs like audio prefs, audio unit info, etc.

Then I installed Pianoteq 6 again.

Then I launched DP and had no issues.

Might have been a conflict between PT5 and PT6.

As an odd aside, I got stopped during the install asking for an activation key, but the dialog boxes didn't say which software needed to be authorized. Turned out to be something by Zynaptic.

David Polich

Post by David Polich »

stubbsonic wrote:Ok, I got it working again.

I repaired permissions (it did some stuff, but it wasn't clear there were any problems).

I restarted-- but it hung during restart, so I had to hard reset.

I uninstalled Pianoteq 5 and Pianoteq 6.

I removed some DP prefs like audio prefs, audio unit info, etc.

Then I installed Pianoteq 6 again.

Then I launched DP and had no issues.

Might have been a conflict between PT5 and PT6.

As an odd aside, I got stopped during the install asking for an activation key, but the dialog boxes didn't say which software needed to be authorized. Turned out to be something by Zynaptic.
Sorry to hear this.

The first thing I tried when starting the beta test
of PTQ 6 was to launch it in DP. No issues at
all. But yes, its a good idea to uninstall the
previous version before installing the newest
one.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Just got back from farming country so didn't get a chance to do my upgrade until last night. Was surprised to see the "B"and "D" are now authorized by Steinway. Haven't tried Pianoteq 6 yet but did the upgrade (cheap at $39, even for the Pro edition) without even listening to the demos.

The interface is sharper now, and minor improvements have been made to the GUI. My understanding is that the chromatic percussion -- which I use a lot -- may have benefitted the most from the engine upgrade. I'll likely try those sounds this weekend.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm realizing that uninstalling v5 has affected all my DP projects that use v5 with a specific preset. Replacing the instantiation with v6 won't automatically load the correct preset.

Not a big deal, and I may not need to do anything about it, I've kept my v5 installer so I can install on top if necessary. I'm told it keeps the two versions separate.

David Polich

Post by David Polich »

stubbsonic wrote:I'm realizing that uninstalling v5 has affected all my DP projects that use v5 with a specific preset. Replacing the instantiation with v6 won't automatically load the correct preset.

Not a big deal, and I may not need to do anything about it, I've kept my v5 installer so I can install on top if necessary. I'm told it keeps the two versions separate.
They can both exist on your drive and DP will load both and see both.

If you saved anything as a preset within Pianoteq 5's interface (and not as a separate DP AU preset),
those presets are automatically imported to PTQ 6. However, they will not sound the same in PTQ 6. The engine's overhaul was major.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

David Polich wrote: If you saved anything as a preset within Pianoteq 5's interface (and not as a separate DP AU preset),
those presets are automatically imported to PTQ 6. However, they will not sound the same in PTQ 6. The engine's overhaul was major.
Thanks. Yea, the issue is not that I couldn't open the presets in v6, it's just that because it won't automatically load that preset, I would have to remember what the preset was.

In an ideal world, DP would report not only missing VIs during a project load, but also the presets that are required.

In a similarly ideal world, I would just have the presence of mind and foresight to put little notes in the comments of the track about what preset is used.