Crashing while using Consoles window & Composer Tools Pro

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JZilla
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Crashing while using Consoles window & Composer Tools Pro

Post by JZilla »

Hey folks. I've recently bought MIDI Kinetics' Composer Tools Pro and have just started getting things set up in my big template. I've been having a problem with lots of crashes while working on the recall setup in the Consoles window in DP. It doesn't seem to be tied to a specific action, but I usually get 5-10 buttons built or edited before it crashes. Anyone else have this problem or know a way to make it a little more sturdy? I'm in 9.12 on a 2013 Mac Pro, 10.12.6.

Thanks!
2019 MacPro, 10.15.5, 16 core 3.2 GHz, 384 GB RAM
DP 10.11
Kontakt 6.2.2, Spectrasonics, u-he, Arturia, NI Komplete 11, VE Pro
UAD, Waves, Soundtoys, Slate, FabFilter
Shooshie

Re: Crashing while using Consoles window & Composer Tools Pr

Post by Shooshie »

Build your consoles with everything else closed. Do the minimal moving, dragging, and changing things; try to get each item right the first time or two. Save after each move, or if you're feeling lucky, do a few moves before saving. Once your consoles are built, tested, and perfected through trial & error, you can use them confidently, because they don't usually crash in plain use.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I don't have knowledge of this particular issue but, in addition to Shooshie's suggestions, I do the following when having such issues:

Close all other windows and run the following in Terminal: sudo purge — this clears RAM caches being used by non-active apps.

or (and even better) close all windows, reboot and then open only DP and any other necessary app. This frees up even more RAM than sudo purge

Otherwise, go slow and save frequently as has been suggested. If that still doesn't do it, I have a few other suggestions.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
JZilla

Post by JZilla »

Cool, thanks for the tips, I'll keep going with it and make sure I'm frequently saving the project.
DP 10.11
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Ah! I'm glad someone brought this up. My Vienna Ensemble Pro clients that I do builds for have been asking for Lemur and Composer Tools Pro support.

After taking with MIDI Kenetics I got some good answers about these problems. If you haven't found out yourself and would like to discuss further please reply.

Steve

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
JZilla

Post by JZilla »

Hi Steve, thanks for chiming in on this, I’d love to hear what you found out.
DP 10.11
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

JZilla wrote:Hi Steve, thanks for chiming in on this, I’d love to hear what you found out.
I’ve made some custom consoles but I’m admittedly new to Composer Tools Pro. I was pleasantly surprised how candid the rep was. I’ll post his quote but I hope that everyone interested takes this in the interest of getting things working.

“Composer Tools needs a lot of workarounds to make recall work in DP. It's cumbersome, and DP's custom consoles (on which Composer Tools Pro relies for recall) are temperamental at best. I have found DP to be full of bugs and the console to be the worst offender. Sometimes (and I do mean sometimes...who knows when) I will open a button and DP has forgotten the settings-- but only if I open the button; if I leave it alone it works fine.”

He goes on to say...

“We are actually working on a VST plugin which should make it far less painful for DP users. No ETA for that, I'm afraid.”

Maybe you were already aware of this. If not, I hope it was informative.

I’ve replied about the upcoming VST plugin, asking if he means a universal plugin interface and format for any DAW, (AU/VST), or if he meant a DP specific MAS plugin, like VSL did with VEP (I’m sure it’s the former).

I’m going to contact MOTU about the issue and the supposed buggy Console to make them aware of the claim, (if they’re not already), and the issues with Composer Tools Pro. Using Lemur and CTPs is becoming increasingly popular (especially on the West Coast, ehem..), and if there’s really an issue with the Console I think it’s in MOTU’s best interest to address it. Or maybe waiting on this plugin is the answer and the release date isn’t too far off.

Hope this shed some light on the matter.

Steve

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
JZilla

Post by JZilla »

Hey Steve, thanks for the info. I’m pretty new to Composer Tools myself, but have been really digging it...except for the Consoles part of things. Hopefully it’s something that can get sorted out.
DP 10.11
MIDI Kinetics

Post by MIDI Kinetics »

Hi All,

Just wanted to say that this issue has been resolved. We have released a plugin, MKRecallSend, that makes setting up recall in DP trivially easy. No more consoles! In fact, DP is now one of the easiest DAWs with which to use Composer Tools Pro.

You can read about it in our blog post. Thank you all for your patience while we worked on this.
https://www.midikinetics.com/composer-t ... dpro-tools

Here are the setup instructions for DP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoFX-AwXb7A

We hope it makes your life working with virtual instruments much more efficient and enjoyable!

Michael
MIDI Kinetics