MIDI playback: How to select what MIDI data is sent to synth

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mwalthius
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI playback: How to select what MIDI data is sent to synth

Post by mwalthius »

Using DP 9.13 with a Yamaha Montage 8.

When playing back MIDI tracks, the track volumes, pan positions, etc., are being sent to the Montage, which is changing parameter settings inside the Montage preset. Not cool.

I thought that I could halt this by simply turning off the mixer automation on the desired channels, but that didn't work.

Basically, I want to be able to tell DP NOT to send volume and pan settings when starting MIDI playback for certain tracks. If I can't do this on a track-by-track basis, how do I tell DP to stop sending track volume and pan information for all tracks?

Or, is there a MIDI CC number filter for MIDI playback?

I am a long time DP user, but am a home hobbyist at best, and have not been doing much sequencing for the past couple of years. Also, the architecture of the Montage is COMPLETELY different that from the Motifs, so please go easy on me. :)

Thanks for any help.

Michael
DP 9.52, MacOS 10.14.1, iMac
Yamaha Montage 8, Virus TI, Moog LP Tribute
Omnisphere, Diva, Sylenth1, Alchemy, Z3TA+2, more
http://www.youtube.com/keybdwizrd
Shooshie

Re: MIDI playback: How to select what MIDI data is sent to s

Post by Shooshie »

Automation setup, perhaps? You get to it through the Automation mini-menu in each channel strip, right above the automation play/record lights, where you select "Touch, Latch, Trim Touch,... etc. When the dialog opens, spend some time reading every option and line. There's a lot going on in that dialog, and it can affect either the track you're working on, selected tracks, or all tracks.

Or are you talking about recorded continuous MIDI data?

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

Re: MIDI playback: How to select what MIDI data is sent to s

Post by stubbsonic »

You can also use the view filter to show only the types of data you don't want to have play, then select and delete it.

For example, set the view filter to show only volume & pan, then select all that and delete.

Of course, this will only affect the MIDI data that is being sent to your synth, and not automation data which might not be visible in the track.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com