Novation Launchkey With DP9?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Dave Bourke
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Novation Launchkey With DP9?

Post by Dave Bourke »

Hi friends,

I took delivery of a Novation Launchkey 49 MIDI controller today and I've just about lost the will to live.

My needs are few - I simply want to be able to play and record software synths in DP9, no transport or FX plug-ins control needed, just MIDI notes. Despite trying for the entire day, I haven't managed to get a peep out of this setup (MacBook Pro, Sierra 10.12.6). My hardware rig hasn't arrived back in Thailand from China yet, so I'm working exclusively with softies.

The Launchkey comes with Live 9 Lite, but that's a completely alien environment after coming all this way from Performer 5 (the good ol' days when life was simple).

DP is responding to MIDI Keys and to notes drawn in the edit window, so I know it's behaving itself. But the Launchkey just refuses to talk to it. Is there anyone in this wide world using a Novation Launchkey with DP successfully who could offer a pointer or two to a broken man?

You will have your reward in good karma coupons.

Namaste,
Dave Bourke
– ideation –

Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66 GHz, 5 Gb, OS X 10.5.8, iMac 24" 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo, OS X 10.6.2, Mac G4 dual 800 MHz Quicksilver, DP 7.11, PCIe-424/24i, UAD-2 Quad/UAD-1e, PowerCore Firewire.
Michael Canavan

Re: Novation Launchkey With DP9?

Post by Michael Canavan »

Using a Remote MKII with DP9 Sierra etc.
You did not mention whether or not you had gotten the Launchkey to work with Live Lite, so I'll assume you haven't determined whether OSX is seeing the Launchkey in the first place.
In OSX go to Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup (or simply type Audio MIDI Setup into Spotlight), you should have two windows that open up when you open the Audio MIDI Setup app, one for audio one for MIDI. IN the MIDI one you should see a Launchkey something like this
If you don't see even a greyed out icon for the Launchkey then it could be a bad USB cord...

Sorry if this seems vague but you're description is pretty vague, what do you mean by DP responding to MIDI keys? do you mean on the computer screen or another hardware keyboard? Can you select the Launchkey as a MIDI input? if you never use Multi Record this is a good time to select it and see if DP recognizes the Launchkey at all. You did the basic research right? looked into DP's MIDI monitor to see if it was there? Looked into "Unconfigured Ports" in DP's menu for MIDI input after selecting Multi Record etc..

Everyone should have this application on their computers, it will let you know 100% if the mac is seeing the Launchkey or any MIDI etc. https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

There's also an update to the firmaware on their site you should check out. https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Dave Bourke

Post by Dave Bourke »

Hi Michael,

I really can't thank you enough, my friend. Now I have glorious sound!

A problem I forgot to mention is that I became very ill in 2009 with undetected and undiagnosed Lyme Disease after a tick bite. One of the results is that I have a number of memory issues. So I would never have thought to look into the Audio MIDI Monitor if you hadn't prompted me.

The Launchkey was seen just fine, but I couldn't get sound. Another oddity was that DP9 wouldn't allow me to copy and paste, or to option-drag, without crashing. I downloaded a fresh copy, then booted into the Mac's Recovery Disk to run repairs. And when I rebooted and reinstalled, everything just worked first time!

I'm back in business, thanks to you.

Namaste,
Dave Bourke
– ideation –

Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66 GHz, 5 Gb, OS X 10.5.8, iMac 24" 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo, OS X 10.6.2, Mac G4 dual 800 MHz Quicksilver, DP 7.11, PCIe-424/24i, UAD-2 Quad/UAD-1e, PowerCore Firewire.
Kellog

Post by Kellog »

Hi Dave, I'm following up on this thread to check if you are having good integration with your Launchkey and DP? I'm looking for DP transport control, good knob, pad and fader integration with VI's and patch changing ability- all from the keyboard controller.
Are you getting some or all of that from your Launchkey? Thanks, Kelly
Mac mini (2018) 3.2 Ghz 6 Core Intel Core i7 w/64 GB ram, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, DP 10.13, UAD Apollo Quad, Komplete 13 Ultimate, Superior Drummer 3, EZ Keys, EZ Bass, EZ Mix 2, Stylus RMX 1.7f, Avid Eleven Rack.
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

Michael Canavan wrote: what do you mean by DP responding to MIDI keys? do you mean on the computer screen or another hardware keyboard?
Everyone should have this application on their computers, it will let you know 100% if the mac is seeing the Launchkey or any MIDI etc. https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/
My guess is he's referring to DP's Studio menu>MIDI Keys.

+1 for MIDIMonitor

Launchkey firmware update: https://customer.novationmusic.com/supp ... d_type=all
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.