Real time lengh of Selection?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Real time lengh of Selection?

Post by Babz »

Question or feature idea/request....

Is there a way to get info on the length in real time of a selection?

Here's the situation. I'm thinking of extending a tune by 8 bars or maybe 16 bars. But I'm concerned about the tune getting too long and I'd like to know how much additional time (in minutes/seconds) each 8-bar extension will add to the piece.

What I'm thinking is, I highlight the 8 bars and then go to some sort of "selection info" window which tells me the length in mins/secs of the selection. Is there any way to do this?

When I make a time range selection, the Selection Information Window's "Duration" field seems to display the duration in Beats, not real time. Is there a way to get it to display real time?

If not, would this be a useful feature to add?

Thx,
Babz
Kurt Cowling
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Real time lengh of Selection?

Post by Kurt Cowling »

Go to "Time Formats" and add "real time" to whatever places you want it (rulers, selection information window, etc.)
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Real time lengh of Selection?

Post by Shooshie »

What Kurt said, first of all.
Second, look in the header of the edit windows. There, where all the selection information is, you'll find the length of selection is one of those fields. I think it's the last of the three. Try selecting something backward, starting at the end of the selection and dragging toward the beginning. The location fields will show the numbers getting smaller. One field will show the selection getting larger. That's your selection length.

It shows it in real time if you set it up that way. (I just checked, btw)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|